PDA

View Full Version : Griz Scary 10 Sec..

hunter1947
07-11-2011, 07:35 AM
The last day of my scouting I was up about the 6000 foot elevation I was parked down an old grown up road with willows covering each side of the road.

I parked down this road about 200 yards so I would not scare the animals away ,the next morning I was headed to the slash at about 5.15am it was still fairly dark out I had the defender on my shoulder walking when all of a sudden I heard a noise to my right.

I stopped in my tracks and looked about 40 feet to my right I could see the willows moving I took the defender off my shoulder and readied it.

I thought maybe it was a deer or elk boy was I wrong out ahead of me this silver tip black Griz with silver all over its back walked out on the road :icon_frow.

I took the safety off and was ready he stood there for about 5 seconds when I first saw him and he looked at me I yelled and waved my left arm he exploded to the other side of the road when I waved and yelled at him.

I stood there crapping my pants :icon_frow and was ready I waited 5 min till I started to walk no sound no Griz in 2 more min walking I was out into the slash.

I am getting more scared of these beautiful animals ever time I see one I sure am getting jittery when I am alone out there in the bush sometimes I sleep very little at night.

Sorry no video clip it all unfolded to quick to film him and besides safety comes first..

Stone Sheep Steve
07-11-2011, 07:44 AM
Makes ya feel alive, don't it??!!!:)

Good thing your ticker is in good shape!

SSS

Caveman
07-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Good to hear you haven't been turned into a pile of scat Wayne. If you weren't awake yet, I'm sure you didn't even blink after that encounter!

500grhollowpoint
07-11-2011, 08:21 AM
How close was he to you? What the non outdoor people don't realize is when they say a bear can run 60km hr that it can do it in 2 steps....Scary but would have been scarier if it hadn't run.....The guy that taught my kid his core last year said if it ain't scared of you......shoot it!

hunter1947
07-11-2011, 09:19 AM
How close was he to you? What the non outdoor people don't realize is when they say a bear can run 60km hr that it can do it in 2 steps....Scary but would have been scarier if it hadn't run.....The guy that taught my kid his core last year said if it ain't scared of you......shoot it!

As I said in my thread 40 feet and yes with my experience in Griz country and many years hunting hunting you get smart over the years hunting ,you expect the unexpected so that is why the safety was off and the gun ready in position waiting watching .

chilcotin hillbilly
07-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Good to hear the outcome was a positive outcome. As far as shooting the ones that aren't scared of you that is a good way to loose your license and get a fine. Even though the population is out of control in some places and the bears aren't afraid we still must follow the laws. Reporting each and every bad encounter is the way to increase the hunting tags. If you make the CO's come out to deal with every problem bear they will push for more tags which would make alot of us happy.

Coming_out_heavy.
07-11-2011, 06:37 PM
You dont get those feelings sitting on the couch, thats for sure.

elkdom
07-11-2011, 06:45 PM
a few weeks ago you crapped your pants because a Bat flew out of your attic,,,

I think you just LIKE crappin your pants ! :?

Ruger4
07-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Wild tv the other night (forget the name ) they were hunting goats and a couple grizz put the run on the goat they were glassing , that was an impressive demo on just how fast these bears are , not to mention the ground the big bear covered running uphill , unbelievable til you see it first hand !!!! Glad you madde out ok Wayne !!!

nature girl
07-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Wayne you are a tough quy. Glad you are home safe. When all of us go into the woods you just never know what can happen. Its good that you kept your cool, and didnt turn around and run.

elkdom
07-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Wayne you are a tough quy. Glad you are home safe. When all of us go into the woods you just never know what can happen. Its good that you kept your cool, and didnt turn around and run.

couldn't run !, his feet were frozen to the ground!,,,

when he finally broke his feet loose, he couldn't get any traction ( shitty pants)

luckily, the bear didn't have time wash his meal before eating and ambled on, in search of something more tender and appetizing,:mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
07-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Glad it panned out good for you once again, those grizz must be spreading the word about Ol '47 and the defender :)
Give ya a shout in the next day or two when I get home, you can fill me in on your excursion.