PDA

View Full Version : water purification methods/ products?

Livewire322
07-10-2011, 02:49 PM
what do you guys use to get water when way up on some mountain top? rain collection seems unreliable, they sell tablets, and other things, any opinions please?

madrona sh
07-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Water filter (pump style) is what I use.

bigwhiteys
07-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Katadyn "Vario" water filter... About $100 or so... One of the only "backpacking" pumps to outflow 2 liters/minute. Has a float intake (cat's a$$) for getting water in tough spots... Won't go up without it now.

Carl

ROEBUCK
07-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Katadyn "Vario" water filter... About $100 or so... One of the only "backpacking" pumps to outflow 2 liters/minute. Has a float intake (cat's a$$) for getting water in tough spots... Won't go up without it now.

Carl

Im interested in this filter.
but it has a lot of negative reviews for being not well made.
How have you found it works carl?
cheers dan

bc mike
07-10-2011, 04:00 PM
UV lights work well. They are very fast and dependable. Downside is they do not remove sediment. If you are trying to get water out of a mud puddle then they are not for you. I never use pumps anymore. Drops and tablets have a host of problems.

peashooter
07-10-2011, 04:07 PM
this ought to shed some light on the subject. http://www.jungletraining.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6043&highlight=water+purification

Alpine85
07-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Have a MSR sweet water pur, a MSR Hyper-flow that does over 3 liters/minute and a Steripen. Steripen will be great if water volume isn't a issue. Sure could be shitty if you don't have a pump and all you find in them hills is a tiny puddle. Use the Katadyn on the last few trips, with no problems what so ever.

bigwhiteys
07-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Im interested in this filter.
but it has a lot of negative reviews for
being not well made.
How have you found it works carl?

I read the same reviews about the Katadyne before I bought, but it had the fastest flow, was inexpensive and I presumed the other people running it (breaking it) were idiots. I was pretty much right :) The main complaint was the handle or handle pump mechanism breaking, and I definitely see why... If you have water with lots of sediment the filter gets clogged, pumping becomes much harder, some people being lazy or not knowing keep pumping. You need to scrub the ceramic filter with scotch brite and voila, back to normal.

If you're careful when pumping and don't try and force it then it works fine.

Those little UV pens are sweet if all you need to do is sterlize water (that is in abundance and already clear) a UV pen won't do shit if you need to get water out of a muddy snow pack or a little mossed up crack in the rocks.

Carl

LOC
07-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I use a combination of an MSR filter and a two part chemical treatment (can't remember the name for the life of me, but know what the bottles look like :) ) when dealing with stagnent or other 'nasty' looking water.

If it's just particulate I'm worried about I'll use the MSR, if the water is 'clear' I'll just use the drops. For the room they take up, I like to carry both.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Been packing BCrams miox the last few yrs.

http://www.miox.com/miox-solutions/MSR-MIOX-Purifier-Pen.aspx

Lightweight, compact..but tastes like pool water: however, the taste does dissapate after time.
Just don't forget new batteries before heading out:roll:

SSS

BCrams
07-11-2011, 01:09 PM
I suppose it comes down to what folks are willing to do when you're on a sheep hunt as far as risk taking and what to take and what to forgo and getting creative on how to obtain water, knowledge of the area and typical water sources they will have. Some folks feel they get by perfectly fine drinking straight up mountain water, some like the tablets / drops, some prefer UV pens, and some prefer pumps or a combination.

As SSS mentioned - have been using the miox since 2004 with no issues and havn't gotten sick after treating some pretty sick looking water and if overly dirty we'll just throw the bandana over the mouth of bottle and transfer from one bottle into the other. Great little unit.

It comes down to your comfort level on what to take. They all work. Own a MSR pump filter too and have used it on a couple hunts a long time ago.

eastkoot
07-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Going to throw this out there. I have read and heard that grapefruit seed extract will produce safe drinking water as too will grape seed extract and also prevent giardia and other nasty parasites. A few drops in filtered (to remove sediment) water and it's OK to drink.. Is there anyone that has tried it or used it?

Orangethunder
07-11-2011, 03:57 PM
MSR pump, works well and haven't gotten sick as of yet. We have used drops when we had lots of nice clear water but they do add an odour and a slight taste to the water. I've talked to people who 'risked' it and they will tell you to take the time and purify. I haven't heard much about natural purifiers like grape seed extract and the likes. Personally I wouldn't risk a once a year hunt on them. Best to let your friends try them first...oh and don't forget that boiling water works too. Just uses a sh!tload of fuel which isn't light or cheap.

alexboyprin
07-11-2011, 05:29 PM
...one can use a few drop of bleach (javex) per liter and it will work!

BromBones
07-11-2011, 05:44 PM
I use Aquatabs with questionable water. Some guys say they give the water a funky taste, but I've always found the opposite = pretty much neutral flavour. If the water is silty, filter it through your bandana as mentioned.

Iron Sighted
07-11-2011, 10:24 PM
I use a Katadyn Hiker Pro pump filter, good pump speed, doesn't easily clog, fairly cheap to buy, middle of the road weight wise. Downside for me is that I find it a little bulky, but overall I've got nothing bad to say about it. Also has the floating intake like the Katadyn Vario for pumping out of very shallow water.

07-12-2011, 09:37 AM
I use a Steripen.

Positives: Light, quilk, and effective (I also use UV treatment for my house)

Negatives: Requires a battery, bulb could break (although cover is really tough), does not remove sediment.

I like it for backpacking as it is just so light. I use to have a pump filter, but it was a PITA

Slee
07-12-2011, 10:54 AM
I just pack a water filter staw now for drinking water, Cheap, light weight and easy to use. I don't treat cooking water as boiling will kill 99% of anything bad.

http://giardiaclub.com/survival-water-filter-straw/survival-water-filter-straw.jpg

bighornbob
07-12-2011, 11:31 AM
I just pack a water filter staw now, Cheap, light weight and easy to use. I don't treat cooking water as boiling will kill 99% of anything bad.

http://giardiaclub.com/survival-water-filter-straw/survival-water-filter-straw.jpg

How much fuel do you pack along if you are boiling your water???

BHB

Slee
07-12-2011, 11:42 AM
How much fuel do you pack along if you are boiling your water???

BHB

Just enough to boil water for MH meals. Usually just one canister 340g for my primus stove. The USFDA states you only have to boil water for 1min to kill the bacteria that causes Giardia.

Heat the water to a rolling boil for at least 1 minute.

-- Or --

Use a filter that has an absolute pore size of at least 1 micron or one that has been NSF-rated for "cyst removal."

bighornbob
07-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Just enough to boil water for MH meals. Usually just one canister 340g for my primus stove. The USFDA states you only have to boil water for 1min to kill the bacteria that causes Giardia.

Heat the water to a rolling boil for at least 1 minute.

-- Or --

Use a filter that has an absolute pore size of at least 1 micron or one that has been NSF-rated for "cyst removal."

My mistake. I misread your post. I thought you boiled all your drinking water, thats why I was asking how much fuel you take.

BHB

ianwuzhere
07-12-2011, 07:08 PM
i picked up some water drops for my upcoming sheep hunt. i have never used them. the guys that worked in the store said good things about them- drop about 5 drops of each bottle into the cap- wait few minutes until turns yellow then put into your water and wait bout 10min and then its good to go.. I looked at the pumps but these drops had good reviews and was only $20.- made by pristine.
http://www.advancechemicals.ca/Pristine-Personal-Package

Krico
07-12-2011, 07:32 PM
I have used those drops before with zero problems.

bigwhiteys
07-12-2011, 10:17 PM
i picked up some water drops for my upcoming sheep hunt. i have never used
them. the guys that worked in the store said good things about them- drop about
5 drops of each bottle into the cap- wait few minutes until turns yellow then
put into your water and wait bout 10min and then its good to go.. I looked at
the pumps but these drops had good reviews and was only $20.- made by
pristine.

We used to use the drops too... Mixing those two chemicals together creates a pretty noxious smelling reaction... I got pounding headaches after drinking that water... And if it's cool, mountain water you're supposed to double the dose. It definitely works, the food grade chlorine or whatever it is just doesn't work with me... We still take them as a last resort, safety backup.

Carl

BromBones
07-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Heard guys having issues with the Pristine drops - the bottles not being sealed well enough, and leaking the contents into your pack. Don't know if that's still a problem or not.

Backcountry archer
07-29-2011, 07:45 PM
I use Aquatabs with questionable water. Some guys say they give the water a funky taste, but I've always found the opposite = pretty much neutral flavour. If the water is silty, filter it through your bandana as mentioned.

I use the Aquatabs as well. I can drink the water straight up or mix with emergen-C mix after a half hour purification time. The water doesn't taste much different than some city's water that's been treated with Chlorine.

I also have the MSR filter and the Katadyn filter, but the tablets are the lightest way to go.

troutseeker
07-30-2011, 01:50 AM
I have a Katadyn Pocket. Great filter, heavier than some, but also extremely rugged.

wrenchhead
07-30-2011, 08:59 AM
iv always ran the pristine drops. no taste and faster and less bulky then the darn pumps. i just keep them in a small ziplock incase of leakage,(but iv never had them leak).