PDA

View Full Version : 3-15

iwing
07-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I will be working near Yale from july until october. I will be hunting in region 3-15 from yale to about boston bar. I will be making weekend overnight trips starting in july, Im looking foreward to doing the scouting before season opener I will be going up to some of the high peaks around there and I am just wondering what the deer population in the area is like. Will there be blacktails or just mulies. I am also curious about the bear population in the area, (many Grizzlys, I will be camping alone) It looks like the peaks around there just barely make it to alpine, and it looks like it may be kinda thick around there for spot and stalk, but there looks like alot of area to explore. Does this area get pounded by hunters due to its proximity to the lower rainland. Any Advice on this area would be appreciated because I have never hunted there.

TheProvider
07-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Haven't hunted 3-15 however I'm 99% sure they'll only be mulies, no BT's

sarg
07-10-2011, 10:52 AM
there will be blacktails there, my buddy shot a 2 point(blacktail) in boston bar last year. but for hunting wise good luck. i have never had any luck in that area b4 but i was young and road hunting with my dad on weekends. so i'm not saying there not there but just not on the roads.:)
good luck
sarg

TheProvider
07-10-2011, 11:10 AM
there will be blacktails there, my buddy shot a 2 point(blacktail) in boston bar last year. but for hunting wise good luck. i have never had any luck in that area b4 but i was young and road hunting with my dad on weekends. so i'm not saying there not there but just not on the roads.:)
good luck
sarg

I hope for your buddies sake that he either shot it with a bow during Sept 1-9 or shot it between Oct 1-31.

Bistchen
07-10-2011, 11:41 AM
I hope for your buddies sake that he either shot it with a bow during Sept 1-9 or shot it between Oct 1-31.

So are you gonna question every hunter on this forum, everytime they or a buddy shoot something, if it was in season?

Who the **** do you think you are? Stop acting like a cop, or move along...............

Jelvis
07-10-2011, 01:02 PM
MU 3-15 hey how yah doin? Lytton - North bend Backroad dude
and the Skuzzy Main.
Essentially a 4x4 road going toward North bend, check recent road conditions, a pick-up will do the other way, because of very rough, steep hill just above the twin bridges @ Cisco.
The Cisco kid was a friend of mine.
Reached by the river-powered (updated info) ferry off the Lytton- Lilloooet Highway, or Boston Bar aerial ferry. Check schedule.
The first 12 k from the ferry are through our home and native lands: road climbs up and up into awesome open ridges. Attention: Good hiking access to fair mule deer and grouse high up on the open ridges, wow it's heaven.
The Kwoiek River road runs back into very rough terrain: fair to poor deer.
The Nahatlatch Main runs way back jack, 50 km; good population of black bears wondering around with mixed mule deer and blacktail coastal deer on the menu but yah gotta be a tuffy hunter willing to go big for deer here.
A little fuzzy on the Skuzzy? lol, From North bend aerial ferry, turn left pilgrim just across the railway tracks.
The Skuzzy main runs back into mountain sides and ridges above Skuzzy Creek, some old logging ( check recent viewing on Google earth or visit MOF maps or by phone.)
The Skuzzy Creek has mainly coastal black tailed deer. BAM!
Jel .. You can call me Ray .. MU 3-15 Lytton - Lillooet Backroad - Got a 4 by4 .. :-D

iwing
07-10-2011, 01:27 PM
I do have a 4x4 that i am going to use to get into a good place to hike from. I want to camp near the top so I can glass at dawn and dusk.

rcar
07-10-2011, 01:59 PM
I hunted Spuzzum in June for Bear...lots of them there. There was a washout on the main about 18k but a quad or a small jeep/suzuki could have snuck around the boulders but that's it. I had googled the area past there and it looked amazing for deer. Great alpine access and a prett open valley for glassing.

Mid June I was going to head to Skuzzy but heard access was only to the rec site and washout beyond. The bridge that leads north of the river at the rec site is also washed away from the report I got. You might want to PM 4cefedomni. He was very helpful and I believe he did a recon. there in June.

Good Luck!

TyTy
07-10-2011, 05:48 PM
I've spent about 20+days scouting and hunting 3-15. Sorry, but I have got to keep MY spots secret.

you will find blacktails in the southern 1/2 of the MU, and mulies in the north. I've heard there are a few good washouts on the road in nahatlach.

October is the month to go. pretty hard to bow hunt in the MU.

PS. great area for grouse! pack a .22

jeff
07-10-2011, 05:59 PM
hunted just this side of boston bar seen many blacktails but more mulies acually about ten years earler a huge 5 point blacktail was shot and is mounted on my buddies wall im 100 percent sure there are blacktails there

TheProvider
07-10-2011, 06:05 PM
so are you gonna question every hunter on this forum, everytime they or a buddy shoot something, if it was in season?

Who the **** do you think you are? Stop acting like a cop, or move along...............

.........hehe

Jelvis
07-10-2011, 06:32 PM
On the Skuzzy, the bears, The Bears lol, taste good because they eat tons of wild fruity tuity berries.
On the skuzzy lookin for mister fuzzy bear who eats loads of berries and grasses.
No fish, tastes like cheek en ..
If you go up the Nahatlatch Main vein, go in 10 km, and you will see an old homestead.
From this homestead there is a (good trail) that goes towards hunting heaven into high ridges, with animals of the deer family and bear family and more.
Mixed mule and coastal deer up the Nahatlatch pard.
Lot's a barz, rooty tooty frooty berry bears on nutrish e us grass and herbs, legumes up the Skuzzy Main...Pard
Jel the Perfect Warrior. Don't try to break my wings don't try messin with my dreams
My curse will be your pain, up the Skuzzy Main with Jane can't complain, no one wood lis in.
Anyways lol.

sarg
07-10-2011, 08:35 PM
no it was nov was that wrong?

of couse it was oct, but thanks for up dating me on the regs.:)

TheProvider
07-10-2011, 09:21 PM
not gonna hi jack this thread as this will be my last post, read the regs carefully

Jelvis
07-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Read the reg's and look at Mu 3-15 gos, on deer, then go to special LEH papers and see what or if something is on the ticket, and then go for that, and you get at least this in gos. Not a bad win either way, figure this, Am I going in from the north way or south a cross the bridge built in the late 80's or up by the Cisco kid's hill by Lytton. Then plan a route that connects with the other end.
Jel .. We're going in commando style .. either way it will pay off in an exciting outing

coglark
07-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Been awhile jelly? The ferry is nothing but a tourist attraction these days(since the '80s) ... there's a bridge now:) Go north..lotsa deer toward Lytton. I was up there for spring bear, saw many mulies and a hog of a boar I just couldn't pull the trigger on

Jelvis
07-10-2011, 10:26 PM
I went there in the 70's across to the Nahatlach and hey never went back lol, still if your close to the lower main land it's a good go, but when you live in Kamloops hey, why worry about a way across the Mighty Fraser? A bridge, hey now that is progress.
Hey everyone go over the bridge and have a ball up the Nahatlach across from Boston
Stop at Boston Bar for a coffee and burger at the restaurant just off the highway.
Unless it got burned down or something lol, try it you'll like it. Tire shop too maybe lol.
Jel mu 3-15 across the Fraser like a laser on the new bridge outta of the Bar .. BAM!

coglark
07-10-2011, 10:44 PM
The "drive-in" is still there. Tire shop too. Lol. Seek out3-14 as well..just came back today and saw 4 bucks(2pts all) and a dozen does. The Anderson road was washed out but has since been repaired..lotsa big mulies

iwing
07-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Does anyone know what the access to klowa mountain is like? It sounds like alot of the roads are washed out.

Foxton Gundogs
07-11-2011, 10:20 AM
I have done a lot of riding over across the Thompson @ Lytton. 2 years ago while on a scouting pre season we rode up on 2 MONSTER mulies. 1 was a big 4x4 and the other a HUGE 6X6 I saw the 6X6 first and thru cover I thought it was an elk. We managed to ride within about 30 yds before they leasurely wandered off. Never did see them in open season but I know there are some big dear 1/2 hr further north than Boston Bar.

iwing
07-11-2011, 06:19 PM
I will have a few weekends to scout, should I stick to one area or should I move if I dont see more than a few deer. The big guys will likely be solo or in bachelor groups ? Should I expect to see lots of deer in some of the alpine areas of just a couple over the course of a weekend? This will be my first dedicated attempt at an early season alpine buck. A four point blacktail or muley would be awesome to even just see in august. I have saw a few big ones and they are always impressive.

Jelvis
07-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Figure out where the animals are, blacktail and mules mixed on the Nahatlatch Main.
This area is tuff hunting.
If you want mule deer ridges go in from Cisco past the Indian reserve then you see open ridges to climb for mule deer, good hiking here into muley and grouse up high as you climb up,
And the Skuzzy is mostly coastal blacktail.
Jel .. 3-15.

iwing
07-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Why is it tough hunting Jel? Is it thick all the way to the top? I want to stick to 3-15 due to the season opening on the 1st

Thanks