PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Late August Peace Moose/Elk

rcar
07-10-2011, 09:54 AM
In order to quell the summer hunting doldrums I have decided to plan my first fall hunt mid to late August in the Peace.

I put in for my moose LEH in 5-2B where I have a cabin but nada so now I am looking for some help/advice for a Peace region moose or elk hunt mid August. If I thought a spike bull hunt had a decent chance of success I would probably stick to a closer hunt in September….

So here are my plans so far

I will likely be going solo as my hunting buddy won’t be making it up ‘til mid October so I would like to leave the quad and trailer at home in order to save a few hundred on gas. That will cut out any nasty access areas and will require me to find a decent area within a max half mile of the truck…hopefully much closer. I have a concern with the temp and keeping the game cool while I get it out so some advice here would be really appreciated. If it’s hot I won’t be doing any mid day shooting.

Also…..now the real laughable requirement… I was originally thinking about the Lower Peace area more for just the relative closeness but after reading about the crowds I am not interested. Hunting for me is as much about the peacefulness as is the success so I would drive an extra couple of hours in order to find a less crowded area.

Any thougths/advice would be most welcomed.

Thanks!

moosinaround
07-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Butler Ridge NW of Hudson Hope. Take an aluminum boat and head up the Peace arm a ways then hike in up the side of the Peace Valley and bugle away. You may just see me there, all you will have are the boat hunters and the hikers there. Moosin

moose2
07-11-2011, 03:49 AM
After you hit Chetwynd there is no amount of driving that will get you away from the crowds , anywhere from here to the Yukon boarder along the Alaska hiway will have decent numbers of hunters. Some places more than others. You might want to reconsider not bringing your quad. I am sure $300.00 would be worth saving a 2 day pack ( IMO ). If your willing to walk you can travel for miles on cut lines and pipelines and have a good chance , but you need a quad to retrieve your animal.
Mike

KodiakHntr
07-11-2011, 06:39 AM
No atv=good chance of spending extra days sitting waiting for a road to dry out enough so that you can get back to the highway......

Not to mention the fact that packing a moose quarter across 200 metres of muskeg will have you wondering why you wanted to save $100 in fuel.