PDA

View Full Version : calling animals...

Livewire322
07-10-2011, 12:45 AM
well i was sitting on my porch with my dog this evening and we both heard the coyotes that live on the other side of the green belt going crazy, dont know why.

i decided that i wanted to mimic their calls and eventually had them talking to me. was kind of cool to hear them respond to my calls. all vocal to not using any calls or whatnot.

does anyone call other animals with vocals?
I've done moose and elk as well, had to use a grass whistle for bears.

swampthing
07-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Calling can be a great method for hunting. It goes against the "being quiet" thing we were all taught, but it has its place. When I do call, I do it more to locate an animal than to try to bring it in to me.

huntwriter
07-10-2011, 02:12 PM
does anyone call other animals with vocals?

I am a great believer in game calling. I've called many deer, bear, coyotes, turkeys and waterfowl to the gun or bow. Calling, if done right, is a great game attractor.

Livewire322
07-10-2011, 02:14 PM
nice its good to see that it isnt a lost art

Peter Pepper
07-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Try making a kissing sound on the back off your hand. I got the idea from somebody elses post. So far it's worked on calling back bears for me

Livewire322
07-10-2011, 02:35 PM
and yotes and any other predator for that matter!

sobirch
07-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Calling can be a great method for hunting. It goes against the "being quiet" thing we were all taught, but it has its place. When I do call, I do it more to locate an animal than to try to bring it in to me.

Being quiet in the bush is what I strive for but sometimes I end up stepping on the wrong spot and breaking a branch or I have to walk through a area I just know will be noisy so I do a moose grunt or if hunting range land after cattle are recently off I will even mooo like a beef. Does this help?, I'm not sure but I don't think it will hurt.

elkdom
07-10-2011, 06:55 PM
I called the Zoo, and asked to talk to the LION,,,

the Zoo curator politely replied,,,,,,,,,, I am so sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,, he is ON the other LION !

TyTy
07-10-2011, 06:59 PM
I can call in ravens sometimes. They get really curious, but when they figure out i'm a human, they usually take right off.

Pretty cool to watch them pull a u-turn mid air and head right for your calls.

CanuckShooter
07-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Sometimes the animals respond to 'calling' because they are curious as to what could be making the noise. If you put a little radio out in the middle of a cut and leave it playing fairly softly you'd be surprised what will come for a look. Ever been setting up camp, or cutting firewood, and look around and find out some deer are watching you?

Calling elk is prime time, calling moose is fun, wolves/coyotes/bears can be interesting.....

Jelvis
07-10-2011, 08:00 PM
I tried it on mule deer it worked good. Cmere deer call. See the animal and try to call it back for fun, a 3 point in four season for instance, play with em.
My brother calls in big bull elk with his own voice. I call moose and they come.
Can't call a cab tho lol.
Jellapeeeeeno

elkdom
07-10-2011, 08:08 PM
being quiet does not guarantee you will see or find game,

certainly during the rut, deer.elk,moose move a lot and make a lot of sounds and different noises, and not sounds restricted only to calls for a mate,

if you are traveling/walking/stalking through bush, game country and there are NO wildlife sounds, you usually see/find very little for game in the immediate area,,

and in Nature, only the PREDATORS are totally silent, think about that!

Jelvis
07-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Good to be noisy if your with a partner or three roaming the ridge together scaring up deer to run into your group with team effort.
Maybe the snow has a little crust and you can't be quiet so you use it to get game up and moving and in your groups sights.
Calling is good in the pre rut, and rut but the peak of rut is frenetic times for the animules, going and going to find a little luvin making noises and sounds from the gut
This is the purrrfect time to use calling. :-D
Use the conditions you have, go with what you got, to your advantage.
Jel .. Perfect Warrior .. The only difference between try and triumph is a little, "umph."

shadow1982
07-10-2011, 08:22 PM
I called the Zoo, and asked to talk to the LION,,,

the Zoo curator politely replied,,,,,,,,,, I am so sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,, he is ON the other LION !

lol .................

elkdom
07-10-2011, 08:25 PM
lol .................

that is one of the times "calling didn't work" :cry:

SHAKER
07-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Did some Coyotes in on a goose set during the spring season a bunch of years ago.... They sure wern't expecting gett'n a full load of BB's.

We call Elk, Moose and even smash 2x4's together to call Cali's in Novermber. Call'n stuff is a really cool way to see game.

hunter1947
07-11-2011, 01:58 AM
I have used calls from the store and I have called with my voice and have had some real good resalts over my hunting years..

Stone Sheep Steve
07-11-2011, 06:21 AM
I enjoy practicing mouth calls.....elk...moose....rodent squeaks....etc....but my daughter has taken the same interest to an extreme and drives us nuts pretty much everyday:(.

We were up camping on the long weekend and were out for a walk, when my daughter spotted a muley doe feeding in an open meadow about 200 yds away. My wife snapped a few pics but the deer was pretty small even with a 300mm zoom lens...so my daughter offered to call it closer. The doe was onto us so I didn't think she would come closer....until my daughter started wailing out a pup-in-distress call with her mouth(she's only 8 so her voice is high-pitched). I was confused by her choice of calls...until the doe immediately started jogging right towards us......go figure:?. Dang doe came right into bow range:?.
I should have never second guessed our little caller....:neutral:

SSS

308Lover
07-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Hunting on Haida Gaii my partner, who lives in Port Clements, showed me how they call deer with an elastic band stetched over two thin pieces of cedar. There's just enough room between to blow through and the noise mimics a fawn in distress. Does came running full bore toward us, but also, bucks would step out into the open or also come toward us. This call can leave your hands free, since it is the size of a small harmonica, and can be kept between the lips as you scope. Occasionally, a black bear would arrive, so we ceased calling immediately so we didn't trigger a deer/bear confrontation. (not to mention people vs ursus).