PDA

View Full Version : sheep meat bag

Buck
07-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Thinking of using a dry bag to put meat in so it doesn't leak into my pack.How many litre bag would hold a deboned ram?What are you guys using?

yukon john
07-09-2011, 02:40 PM
garbage bags, it always leaks, but the weight of a dry bag big enough would make it not worth packing everywhere you go imo. 4 quarters with bone in, back straps, tenderloins and some neck meat with horns and full body cape weighs between 100 and 120 pounds (dall or stone)

tbocking
07-09-2011, 02:59 PM
xl ziplock bags end of story

iwing
07-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I use coghlans dry bags, (the cheap yellow ones). I use two and then attach them to the outside of my pack to keep the smells and stuff outta the pack. Only deer meat done so far. Plus my pack is too small to fit everything, inside it.

mark
07-09-2011, 04:15 PM
For deer, I use a large clean pillow case, allows the meat to breath somewhat. Then slip a garbage bag over top just prior to putting in my pack to keep it clean.
When taking a break, I can pull the pillow case of meat out to breath some more.
Sheep would be the same.
(never pack bone) ever!

Buck
07-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I bought a OR dry sack it is 35 litres.It weighs 3 oz and is ripstop siliconized nylon.The actual size is 21 1/4" x11".So Yukon how much space would the meat take up if boned out.35 or 55 litres.They did have bags that were heavier with tie outs (daisy chain style)so it could be tied outside the pack.
Iwing i saw the Coughlans do they have tie out points?
Was planning to keep the meat in gamebags(cheesecloth) for airing when having breaks and cooling at night.

Everett
07-09-2011, 06:24 PM
MEC pack liners are waterproof and weigh next to nothing and make great short term game bags.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 5580&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302889816

Buck
07-09-2011, 06:37 PM
MEC pack liners are waterproof and weigh next to nothing and make great short term game bags.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 5580&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302889816

That looks exactly like what i bought .I'm just trying to figure out how much volume i need for a ram.Think i'll get the 55 as well.

moose2
07-09-2011, 06:38 PM
For deer, I use a large clean pillow case, allows the meat to breath somewhat. Then slip a garbage bag over top just prior to putting in my pack to keep it clean.
When taking a break, I can pull the pillow case of meat out to breath some more.
Sheep would be the same.
(never pack bone) ever!

X 2 I use two pillow cases for sheep one for de-boned meat and the other for cape and horns
Mike

Everett
07-09-2011, 06:44 PM
That looks exactly like what i bought .I'm just trying to figure out how much volume i need for a ram.Think i'll get the 55 as well.

Pretty close but the MEC are cheap. I sometimes drop my normal game bag in it first.

BromBones
07-09-2011, 07:19 PM
I'd grab one more 20 liter bag to go with that 35 and you'll have lots of space. Whatever doesn't fit, cook it up and carry it down in your belly :)

I have a few of the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil drybags, very light and tough. A few of those cheap Coughlans sleeping bag straps work really well for tying extra gear bags on to the pack.

hotload
07-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Sheep would be the same.
(never pack bone) ever!

I packed lots, and this boys and girls, is how you get er done right...........................

boxhitch
07-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Picked up a factoid long long ago, that only cotton pillow cases or bags should be used , not polyester or blends.
The reason ? FIIK

Rackmastr
07-09-2011, 08:55 PM
I really like the idea of pillow cases and have never done that before. A guy could use them to stuff extra clothes in at night to form an actual pillow for sleeping until you killed something, and then you've got 2 lightweight bags that are easy to wash and air out good for meat.

Combine that with a couple garbage bags and I think you'd be set!

moose2
07-09-2011, 09:44 PM
I really like the idea of pillow cases and have never done that before. A guy could use them to stuff extra clothes in at night to form an actual pillow for sleeping until you killed something, and then you've got 2 lightweight bags that are easy to wash and air out good for meat.

Combine that with a couple garbage bags and I think you'd be set!

I like to carry 2 cases in my day pack or cargo pants , meat in one horns and cape in other. They can be carried down the mountain to get to your big pack or spike camp. Carry them like buckets or they can be tied together and slung over shoulders i have taken rams up too 2 km this way.
Mike

07-09-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm with Mark,
Pillow cases, cotton ones, you can make them as small as possible once the meat is in. Then if your looking to protect leakage while packing out use a garbage bag around it and ASAP let it breathe in the open again. DO NOT LET IT HEAT UP and stay in the garbage bag.

Done Rams, Billys and Bucks this way .... never lost ANY !

CT

Gateholio
07-09-2011, 11:49 PM
If you want pillow cases, Go to local hotels and ask for old pillow cases, they often will give you some.

PS ....Unless it is for a VERY short period of time, don't put warm meat into plastic. By short, I mean, throw it in the bag, hike 20 minutes and then cool it off in snow etc.

Coming_out_heavy.
07-10-2011, 12:32 AM
I always keep 6 medium size garbage bags in my pack to wrap meat in. I do however make sure to allow the meat to cool at some point before hiking out with it. (cool overnight and bag in the morning for the walk out). I've hauled a few opening day sheep out like this and have yet to have a problem. The garbage bags are super light and take up no space. I used to just use game bags but I got sick of douching out my pack everytime it got full of blood. I still use a game bag for the cape though.

ytlogger
07-10-2011, 07:19 AM
I think that garbage bags are meant for garbage and pillow cases are meant for pillows. I put meat in cheesecloth game bags and shove it in my pack. Flyblow and spoiling are my major concerns. I take it out at every opportunity for cooling and drying if possible. Meat should be the heaviest thing you are going to carry, so you don't want it hanging off the outside of your pack if you are going very far in rough country. I don't worry about getting blood on my pack bag. Most of it washes out and the trace that's left has never caused me any problems. I do have most of the camp contents of my pack in waterproof stuff sacks for lots of obvious good reasons. The only time I put meat in plastic, in the bush, is heart/liver/kidney if I can cool it in a creek or snowpack. On multiday packs or in real warm weather these meats are sometimes sacrificed if they can't be eaten.

What did you expect for 2 cents?

Rackmastr
07-10-2011, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=ytlogger;945628]I think that garbage bags are meant for garbage and pillow cases are meant for pillows. I put meat in cheesecloth game bags and shove it in my pack. [QUOTE]

And cheesecloth is used for making cheese! LOL. Sorry but I couldnt resist. Hell it all works and serves the same purpose. In the end if you can keep it cool, clean, and aired out, you're doin good!

huntcoop
07-10-2011, 12:29 PM

Make sure ya tell the young patchouli oil wearing hippie what you plan on using the bag for too.

blueboy
07-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Check out kifaru game bags they weight 1 ounce and they can hold 100 lbs of meat, I use one for the cape and one for meat .They also have straps that you can hang your meat up in a tree, the bonus is that they breath and very little damage to your pack in leakage

bighornbob
07-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I carry pillow cases. I also have xl ziploc bags too. The bags are the size of pillow cases and you could easily fit a ram in one seal it and place in a creek to cool.

Bhb

ytlogger
07-16-2011, 05:38 PM
And cheesecloth is used for making cheese! LOL.

OK, now that's funny right there. About the Kifaru game bags, are they made of tyvek kind of stuff?