PDA

View Full Version : go for hunting with a kid

gary mok
08-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Hey I think this question had been asked before but I would like to make it one more time :lol: ,I have my own hunting license so can I go for hunting with my son who's only 6 years old and can he bring along his .22 rifle for rabbit or grouse hunting something like that small games ?is it legal ?of course he is under my supervise.Can he goes to POCO for target shooting with me ? will they allow that young to shoot in the range ? someone said No problem,just under your supervising, is it coorect ? anyone here can solve my doubt would be a appreciate,thanks a lot!!!

Rainwater
08-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Page 8 of the regs "no one under 10 may hunt".

Schmaus
08-25-2006, 05:42 PM
I don't mean to get anybody mad by going against the law but i'm pretty sure that a game warden won't say anything if the little guy shoots a rabbit with a .22 and his dad is standing right there. I personally think that this is probaly the best time to teach him how to do things properly before all he's interested in is his friends and girls

Steeleco
08-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Well as much as I don't see anything wrong myself, you will need to get him a Junior hunting licence. Without the licence a C/O "might" take issue?

From pg8 in this years regs:

A
Junior Hunting Licence can only be
issued to a parent or guardian on behalf
of his/her child or ward who is 10 years
of age or older and under the age of 14.

I just got one for my 10 year old son this spring, I think I paid $7. I wasn't asked his age but buying one under false pretences may create other troubles. By all means take the little one along, but don't rush him, he'll be 10 before you know it!!

gary mok
08-25-2006, 09:22 PM
that means my son has to be wait for 4 more years,too bad!!! anyway thank you for all of your info.

mrdoog
08-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Gary: it's a tough question because you know that your son has to be 10.
I was raised walking beside my Dad, with the 12 ga., cause it was my job to shoot chickens. There was never a concern, because I was with my Dad.
I've taken my sons out before they got their own Hunter numbers and PALS, and yes I allowed them to carry a shotgun.
Was I breaking the law, yes.
Any C.O. worth their salt looks at the scope of the law. A Dad out on a hunt with his kids, is a true Dad.
That Dad will instill lessons on their child that no course will ever cover.
In my opinion, take your son out hunting, even if he can't carry a firearm,he's still with you.
Kids that bond with their parents are far less likely to turn into Public Enemy #1

JohnS
08-25-2006, 11:21 PM
What a good thread started here .... Cheers guys! I'll be taking my 12 yr old out this year Bow hunting its going to Be a awesome time....8)

hoochie
08-26-2006, 12:24 AM
An idea might be to have them practice lots, then when they are of age, reward them with being able to "take the shot".. seeing as they are so good after all that practice and all.
Bond at the range and have them with you when you are cleaning your guns.. talk to them about whatever.. quality time together. Then one day have your son/ daughter do all the rabbit shooting they want. You point um' out.. they get to shoot.
Happy day, and a life long memory.
cheers,

huntwriter
08-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Thr happiest days of my life have been in the fall when I followed my parents as five year old on their hunting trips. As I got older the trips got longer and further away from home. These are memories that never will be erased from my memory.

Get children started early, once the school gets hold of them the children are fed so much PC, anti gun/hunting, and animal rights BS that it will be much harder to get them interested in hunting.

I never saw any reason in an age restriction, I could shoot a .22 before I could ride a bike. Even if your kid can't hunt there is no reason why you can't take it along and infuse it with the spirit of hunting.

Steeleco
08-26-2006, 07:13 AM
My Son has been with me for 1 Blacktail and 2 bears, he's getting his range time in now, Mom says he's old enough. I can only imagine what's to come.
Now my 7 year old daughter is making noises about coming along. Mom will be lonely!!!

bochunk2000
08-26-2006, 09:13 AM
Just as a point of interest...You are no longer reqired to have a hunting licence for rabits if they are the eastern cotontail or the european rabbit. Read up on the class C animals. I don't think he would be in violation of any regs then. My2c.

Rainwater
08-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Bad advice, he cannot "hunt"period under 10 (even wabbits) and you sure don't want to teach him how to tell a Co he's older than he is at that age. Keep takin him and he will be so eager when he is of legal age (10) you will never get to shoot another critter.

bochunk2000
08-26-2006, 10:10 AM
I disagree no hunting licence means its not hunting its killing. If I'm reading or interpreting this wrong please let me know so I don't get myself in hot water. These animals are listed as problems to our ecosystem.

Rainwater
08-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Page 3 under Hunt and hunting should help you with the definition. Still called "huntin".

bochunk2000
08-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Thank you I'll look there. Steve.

rock
08-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Both my kids where in diapers in there first experiance in the great outdoors they still love it both and are not afraid as they say roughing it.
Get them out as early as possible everything done in those times will bring memories of the times spent as a group. My son now is a avid hunter which kind of reminds of me, he's looking foward to this upcoming year once he gets back from the queen charlette Island from a lodge where he's been working for the summer, saw lots of bears as well some deer and hoping he had the camera next year he might take his bow.

ratherbefishin
08-26-2006, 03:21 PM
My son who I first took with me when he was 6 started taking his daughter goat hunting-in a backpack.She is 4 now and rides on his quad with him and loves every minute of it.Last spring we took the kids out spring bear hunting-and stalked up with 30 feet of a nice bear [nice bears are bears on logging roads, or on the high side of the road]and dropped it in its tracks.We had about 6 kids with us,between 3 dads.We adopted 4 kids after raising our own 4,so my youngest is 13- a native kid who I am trying to teach him some traditional skills instead of video games.

abbyfireguy
08-26-2006, 04:28 PM
My son started hunting with me at 10 (with a junior license)got his hunter number last year just before his 13th birthday and this year has a bull moose draw in 6-01.....
Kids under 10 should not hunt according to the regs, but there is no law against them accompanying you....
I am trying to teach my son good ethics, that includes knowing the regs and sticking to them, not trying to push the envelope...

GoatGuy
08-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Talk to your local CO - you'll be surprised what kind of reaction you get. I've already had this conversation was 3 across the province and it was extremely positive every single time.

Class C critters are also allowed to be harvested without a license. This was put forward by the BCWF with the intent of getting more kids out with pellet guns etc.,

Make sure you keep it safe!

DBM
08-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Great subject. I'm taking my son out (he's 8) for our second annual princeton bowhunt. I don't know who's more excited me or him!

Last year I passed on a decent buck because he was a few yards past where I felt comfortable with the bow. I'm glad I passed on taking the shot because I think my son learned a thing or two that trip.

On a rather sad note, can you believe my son was the only kid in his class last year who's ever been on a hunting trip? :frown:

gary mok
08-26-2006, 08:47 PM
OH....that's a awesome topic after reading all of yours opinions,I am for sure will take my son for hunting this year with me cause the most precious time is..... that will bring a good memories of the time you have with your kids let them start as early as they can,nowadays when the kids grow older,the lesser time you have spend with them so before you feel regret,keep something good memories with your kids in mind, is that right ???

nykoma
08-26-2006, 08:48 PM
my boy is 5 next birthday is nov and his making all kinds of noise wanting to come along now. last summer he was riding with me on the quad and loving every minute of it. may be this he ride alone in the truck for hunting :smile:

Steeleco
08-26-2006, 08:57 PM
On a rather sad note, can you believe my son was the only kid in his class last year who's ever been on a hunting trip? :frown:
My son learned early not to talk about our hunting trips openly in school. But as he gets older he's finding other kids that are doing the same thing, the kids are starting to open up to each other.

It's funny though when he comes home with story's from his buds, those antlers are HUGH!!!

DBM
08-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Steelco,

Sorry to hear your son couldn't talk freely in school about it. I guess it's a sign of the times.

Personally I don't give a rat's ass what people have to say to me about it but if starts affecting my son in school we'll have to deal with it. Kind of like preaching to the choir, but hunting shouldn't be a dirty word.

mrdoog
08-26-2006, 09:22 PM
I've always told my kids to be proud that they hunt.
I think it's harder for them to admit at school that they, shudder, spent the weekend with their parents.
It always made me feel good when my sons wanted to go away hunting.
Too many kids don't have parents that are willing to spend time with them.
I have several Yuppie friends who book "quality time" with their children.

Will
08-26-2006, 09:23 PM
that means my son has to be wait for 4 more years,too bad!!! anyway thank you for all of your info.
Mine too:sad: ........but He'll be ready when he's Ten:smile:

FlyingHigh
08-26-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm in high school and know of only 2 other guys who hunt adn are gun enthusiasts. we can't talk openly about hunting/guns either. the moment the subject comes up, we're shunned by everyone and condemned for what we love and do. funny how they condemn us for doing what we love in controlled areas (ranges) and spending time in the healthy outdoors, while they play first person shooter games, drink, do drugs, get in trouble etc. and they hate us....

Dano
08-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Bad advice, he cannot "hunt" period under 10 (even wabbits) and you sure don't want to teach him how to tell a Co he's older than he is at that age. Keep takin him and he will be so eager when he is of legal age (10) you will never get to shoot another critter.

I agree. One lesson you need to teach the kids is there are regulations that must be followed. No reason not to bring them along though. I sat in a duck blind many times watching it all and loving every minute of it. My day finally came when I was 12.... That year I got my own licence and dad would let me shoot his gun at the end of the day while he watched me (and I often bagged a bird), after a few weeks of this, dad would let me shoot his gun all day. I recieved a Remington wingmaster 20 gauge for christmas that year and dad and I enjoyed many hunts together for the next 10 or so years (and still get out occasionally). Then I took a break from serious hunting until my kids grew up (I took them out but they just didn't have the interest I did as kids...). We did a lot of fishing instead, and we still go.
The last few years, my son (23 now), is showing some interest in shooting. We've plinked some cans with 22's and he wants to come out trap shooting now. I hope he gets the hunting/shooting bug so we can spend more time in the outdoors together. You don't find too many kids who were brought up in the outdoors getting into serious trouble and it gives them a lifelong hobby.
Dano

gary mok
08-27-2006, 12:16 AM
I agree. One lesson you need to teach the kids is there are regulations that must be followed. No reason not to bring them along though. I sat in a duck blind many times watching it all and loving every minute of it. My day finally came when I was 12.... That year I got my own licence and dad would let me shoot his gun at the end of the day while he watched me (and I often bagged a bird), after a few weeks of this, dad would let me shoot his gun all day. I recieved a Remington wingmaster 20 gauge for christmas that year and dad and I enjoyed many hunts together for the next 10 or so years (and still get out occasionally). Then I took a break from serious hunting until my kids grew up (I took them out but they just didn't have the interest I did as kids...). We did a lot of fishing instead, and we still go.
The last few years, my son (23 now), is showing some interest in shooting. We've plinked some cans with 22's and he wants to come out trap shooting now. I hope he gets the hunting/shooting bug so we can spend more time in the outdoors together. You don't find too many kids who were brought up in the outdoors getting into serious trouble and it gives them a lifelong hobby.
Dano sounds like a lovely story,spent a good time with your dad when you were young I hope I am going to do the same thing as yours did.

gary mok
08-27-2006, 12:23 AM
my boy is 5 next birthday is nov and his making all kinds of noise wanting to come along now. last summer he was riding with me on the quad and loving every minute of it. may be this he ride alone in the truck for hunting :smile: if you are not a hunter ,you won't understand how lovely it is,to go for hunting with your kid,nothing can compare with,especially when your kid got his own first game,like you got 649 lottery, right ???:lol: