PDA

View Full Version : Are Moose in 3-17 really as scarce as everyone says they are?

rred
07-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Myself and a buddy got the early Oct. draw for any bull in 3-17, but from reading some old posts on HBC, I'm starting to get the feeling that we might be wasting our time. I typically like to go spend a little more time farther north, however due to a recent addition to my family (future little hunter dude), my trip has to be limited to 4-5 days. I've done some hunting to the east of Clinton but never to the south west. If anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated. Full Tags Everyone!!!

Foxton Gundogs
07-07-2011, 05:00 PM
not moose country but I have a friend local to there who may know something. I'll ask

elkdom
07-07-2011, 05:24 PM
there actually were a fair number of moose in that area(3-17) but that was back in the 1970's , lol

now moose in 3-17, are about as rare as the Stanley Cub visiting Vancouver,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

frenchbar
07-07-2011, 05:40 PM
seen a few tracks in the snow last oct up in the hat crk valley ...so there is the odd one around ....

Foxton Gundogs
07-07-2011, 05:40 PM
not moose country but I have a friend local to there who may know something. I'll ask
Just talked to my friend who hunts the area hard(truck,horse and quad) and lives there only ones they have seen is passing thru in the back of trucks lol. North part of the area near Clinton and north of the bottom of Maiden Cr. is the best of a long shot.Apparently.

elkdom
07-07-2011, 05:49 PM
seen a few tracks in the snow last oct up in the hat crk valley ...so there is the odd one around ....
lol

I seen a moose about 20 km out of Regina Sask. in Jan 2011, but I sure as hell wouldn't go there hoping to hunt one,,,,,

frenchbar
07-07-2011, 05:51 PM
lol

I seen a moose about 20 km out of Regina Sask. in Jan 2011, but I sure as hell wouldn't go there hoping to hunt one,,,,,

that about says it all lol...

07-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Shot in there myself a few years back. Back when it was open season.
Hunt high, willow trenches, they are there, one was even a 52 incher but only 8 points per/side, the natives keep a VERY CLOSE cull on them though.

CT

shed-hunter1
07-07-2011, 06:31 PM
i hunt it once in awhile seen a cow moose once

rred
07-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Well.... That about sums it up! Looks like we might have to settle for some Blues and maybe a Muley. I guess I can't complain, 5 days in the bush beat out work hands down. Thanks guys for your time and your knowledge. I've got lots of years left in me to bag one of those brutes.

Livewire322
07-07-2011, 07:30 PM
the few moose that ive seen in 3-17 were in natives trucks... seems that they whack em before anyone gets a chance to.

Ltbullken
07-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Do as much scouting as you can in the preseason. Look for the good habitat spots and signs of fresh browsing with good cover near by. There are moose there, probably not abundant but you need to find the habitat. Also, being early Oct, you should be able to call one in. Find the habitat as mentioned before, call in the morning, go away and call in the late afternoon, and come back again the next monring to call some more. Good luck.

bighornbob
07-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Have hunted the area for over 15 years and saw my first moose this spring while bear hunting. He was in an area that you would expect to find a moose in poplars and alders growing. He stepped out into a meadow I was watching for blackies and he booked it across so fast I laughed. He came back about four hours later and booked it across the meadow like wolves were chasing him. I would tell you where he was but i think he may only be a 2 point (maybe a 3) come fall so I may head back and look for him.

Seeing him really shocked me but not like the two whitetail bucks I saw the next morning. That really made me take a seond look at what I was seeing.

BHB

millman911
07-10-2011, 02:21 PM
I live in that area and wouldn`t put in for a moose draw there. There are moose there but not alot. I was tree planting up izumen creek and found some sign. pm me if you need m0re info.

bsa30-06
07-10-2011, 02:53 PM
I live in that area and wouldn`t put in for a moose draw there. There are moose there but not alot. I was tree planting up izumen creek and found some sign. pm me if you need m0re info.

They are definately there have seen a bull a cow and calf in the last few years and have called in a bull but not far enough out of the christmas trees for a shot.They are there forsure put in the time , call and call some more be persistent.

gutpile
07-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Anyone know why they would open a season on moose in region 3-17
when there aren't many moose in that area ?

Livewire322
07-10-2011, 03:46 PM
becasue there are moose there they just disappear faster then a set of car keys in metrotown.
ive seen sign if you PM me ill tell you approx where...

bsa30-06
07-10-2011, 04:31 PM
becasue there are moose there they just disappear faster then a set of car keys in metrotown.
ive seen sign if you PM me ill tell you approx where...

Livewire is right they are there , they are hard to find,and if the local first nation see them first your SOL

huntwriter
07-10-2011, 05:52 PM
We've good moose numbers up here, but as stated with the natives hunting them all year long, these critters have become extremely elusive. Watched a cow with two calves feeding on the side of the logging road. Then we heard a truck about a mile away and the moose slipped into the dark timber. They don't stick around when they hear human activity, regardless how far away.

Buckmaster
07-10-2011, 07:18 PM
There is moose in 3-17. We see them every year we hunt up there. They seem to stick to the same secluded areas though so you have to know where to look.
There are 3-4 spots were we see them consistently.

rred
07-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the help Guys!