PDA

View Full Version : lk hunter

onpoint
07-07-2011, 01:16 PM
So this is my first post on HBC (been reading the forums for a while now) and thought I would put a question out there to the guys who believe in helping out new hunters. This year will be my first elk hunt with another total newbie to elk and we're trying to decide on where to go. Now I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole or any really specific details more just general area/region info. We were initially thinking the EK as that seems to be THE place for elk and don't have the time to head up North but have started considering the WK and eastern Okanagan (Gladstone Park). We are completely set on a backpack trip and are more than willing/able to get well off the beaten path so any advice/insight/thoughts on where a newbie would be best cutting his teeth is much appreciated! By the way the thread topic should read "Newbie Elk Hunter"....rookie here posted the comment before fixing the topic!

07-07-2011, 01:27 PM
I have gont Elk hunting now three times out in the Koots, All blind.
I have yet to even see an Elk :) BUT, What you need to do is get the Road atlas for the koots, find areas with good access and Google Earth the hell out of the area. People here are pretty tight lipped about Elk areas. I am not trying to sound rude but you will get way further by doing wht i said then anything here. Even if someone gives you the "Pointed finger" you will still need to google it. And the info you will get will be "Go up Bull River" With everyone else.

You have a way better chance at getting good info if you look in the road atlas for access to any area and Google Earth it, people will just give you a busy area. You will have fun and you will earn what you shoot. Do a little reaserch of your own and ask some questions on specifics of that area, you'll do better

Good luck, Hunting is fun :)

onpoint
07-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks 835, didn't take the comment as rude so no problem. We've been google earthing the hell out of the areas we're considering and going over the mapbook. I've been spending more of my free time on GE than I'd like to admit! Like I said I'm not looking for a specific spot or any secret valley or anything like that just wondering if there are any general areas outside of the EK a total newbie should be considering. Some older guys I know swear by the East Koots and say we have to go there but like you said I'm concerned we're just going to end up in the same places as everyone else and I've heard it can be quite busy. No matter where we choose we're going to head pretty far off the access points anyways as I'm more concerned with the overall hunt experience than bagging the biggest bull we can find.

nature girl
07-07-2011, 08:03 PM
onpoint good luck with your elk hunt. Ive never hunted elk in the EK but I hear you have to be watching out for the grizzlies.

cainer
07-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I've been to 4-20 for 2 years in a row. First year I saw the biggest bull I've ever seen there-but couldn't catch up with him. Last year I saw plenty of elk in there-I'm just not quick enough on the point counting yet. I basically did what you guys are doing-pulled up google earth-found a good campspot and went from there. Get off the roads and you'll see lots of em. I firmly believe they're all over the EK, so you won't be disappointed wherever you go. Good luck-see you out there late sept.

onpoint
07-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the tip nature girl. I've read more than a few posts regarding the grizz warnings so we're certainly aware they can be an issue out that way. Cainer thanks for the reply and input, much appreciated. The EK definitely seems to be the best area and 4-20 has been mentioned to me time and again by some guys I know who go out every year for really long hunts. Best of luck to you as well.