PDA

View Full Version : fly in sheep hunt gear list

digger dogger
07-07-2011, 10:03 AM
18 days of bliss. Heres my list of things to bring, any suggestions would be appeciated.
T3's, advil, robax, cornstarch, wet naps, sunblock, hiking poles, batteries(new in range finder), books, gators, boots, moleskin, chaff creme, 2-2nd skin socks, 2-hiking socks, 2 cotton socks, camp shoes, river waders, gun/ammo/licences, gortex jacket/pants, fleece jacket, stanfield wool sweater, toque, 2-pairs gloves, 2-longjohns, 4-ginch, 2-pants, 2-hiking shirts, 2-under armor shirts, therma rest, sleepbag & liner, base tent, spike tent/siltarp, water proof duffle, 3-contractor bags, bore snake, camera, flashlight, sunglasses, toothbrush, bugdope, 3-new lighters, water bottle, water bladder, skinning knife/exacto, spork, pot/stove& fuel, 30' of thin braided rope, 5-gamebags, 10lbs salt, bag crushed pepper, binos/range finder/spotter, 1st aid, wyoming saw, small pillow, lip balm, shit tickets GPS/compass, sweat rag, soap/dishsoap, sat phone/spot, big pack/day pack...
FOOD
(dinner)10 bistro rice, 10 dry food, baby bell cheese, steak spice.

LUNCH
10-oranges, 10-apples, 20-fruitcups, 10-dried wine sausage, 20-chocolate bars, 18-cliff bars, 10-sardines, 10-kippersnacks, 10 ichiban, trail mix...

BREAKFAST

20-oatmeal, 30-granola bars, 6-dried egg breakfasts, ovaltine, powder milk, coffee,& maker, sugar...
EXRTA

6-boxes k.d, 2-cans chilli, pancke batter, oil, P.B & jam... (cooler if weight is o.k???)

Foxton Gundogs
07-07-2011, 10:11 AM
18 days of bliss. Heres my list of things to bring, any suggestions would be appeciated.
T3's, advil, robax, cornstarch, wet naps, sunblock, hiking poles, batteries(new in range finder), books, gators, boots, moleskin, chaff creme, 2-2nd skin socks, 2-hiking socks, 2 cotton socks, camp shoes, river waders, gun/ammo/licences, gortex jacket/pants, fleece jacket, stanfield wool sweater, toque, 2-pairs gloves, 2-longjohns, 4-ginch, 2-pants, 2-hiking shirts, 2-under armor shirts, therma rest, sleepbag & liner, base tent, spike tent/siltarp, water proof duffle, 3-contractor bags, bore snake, camera, flashlight, sunglasses, toothbrush, bugdope, 3-new lighters, water bottle, water bladder, skinning knife/exacto, spork, pot/stove& fuel, 30' of thin braided rope, 5-gamebags, 10lbs salt, bag crushed pepper, binos/range finder/spotter, 1st aid, wyoming saw, small pillow, lip balm, shit tickets GPS/compass, sweat rag, soap/dishsoap, sat phone/spot, big pack/day pack...
FOOD

LUNCH
10-oranges, 10-apples, 20-fruitcups, 10-dried wine sausage, 20-chocolate bars, 18-cliff bars, 10-sardines, 10-kippersnacks, 10 ichiban, trail mix...

BREAKFAST

20-oatmeal, 30-granola bars, 6-dried egg breakfasts, ovaltine, powder milk, coffee,& maker, sugar...
EXRTA

6-boxes k.d, 2-cans chilli, pancke batter, oil, P.B & jam... (cooler if weight is o.k???)

Jerky and cold flour, might have missed this on your list but....Imodium, zantac, tums, tinfoil

bighornbob
07-07-2011, 10:39 AM
FOOD

LUNCH

BREAKFAST

EXRTA

How many horses are you bringing to carry in all the stuff:)

BHB

Stone Sheep Steve
07-07-2011, 10:44 AM
With a food list like that...are you planning to return to the lake each night???:confused:

SSS

d6dan
07-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Throw some dental floss in also. Works great for sewing and repairing tears..

digger dogger
07-07-2011, 11:39 AM
foxton, thank-you, on the list now..
BHB, BiG Boar, is my horse. :-)
sssteve, we are spiking out for 6 days at a time.
d6dan, great suggestion.

KodiakHntr
07-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Water filter or tabs?

moose2
07-07-2011, 12:12 PM
I see you have game bags , I like to carry a couple pillow cases when I am actually hunting. Cape and horns go in one and meat in the other. They are light and small and fit well in pockets or day packs they can be tied together and slung over shoulders , to get ram or goat back to your main pack/or camp. Then when I get back to base camp I will clean everything up and move it to the game bags. I also like to carry a large zip lock to use for storing or carrying water back to spike camp if there's none avaliable.
Mike

KodiakHntr
07-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Oranges, apples, fruitcups I'd ditch myself.

Oranges have rind, which is dead weight. Apples are just plain heavy.

Ditch the waders. Use your camp shoes and roll up your pant legs. You won't be carrying the waders anywhere with you.

You are missing something there, but I can't figure what it is right off the bat.....Oh, liquor, for base camp.

And at least one weight-rated locking carabiner. Makes it MUCH easier to hoist food up in the air at base if you have any trees or anything.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Here you go......42 pages of gear/food lists and tips.
Should keep you busy for a while. LOL!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?33192-sheep-pack-weight&highlight=

madrona sh
07-07-2011, 12:37 PM
First aid kit and communications ( Sat phone, Spot etc ) if something goes wrong.

bigwhiteys
07-07-2011, 01:38 PM
You can take ALL of it and then you'll know what not to bring for next year based on what never got used...

One item I didn't see was Eye Drops. When you sit behind your glass for hours your eyes dry right out and can start to hurt. I use "refresh tears" and they lubricate your eye so it doesn't get all tired, sore and dry.

Carl

pnbrock
07-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Water treatment or more shit tix

BiG Boar
07-07-2011, 03:15 PM
You think its worth bringing in my water filter, or just bring tablets if the water looks sketchy? Hate to ruin a good hunt, but so much of the running water has been fine in the past where we are going.

madrona sh
07-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I'd bring a water filter.

bigwhiteys
07-07-2011, 03:20 PM
You think its worth bringing in my water filter, or just bring tablets if the water looks sketchy? Hate to ruin a good hunt, but so much of the running water has been fine in the past where we are going.

If you have lots of accessible running water then it's your call... I know my water (pump) filter has helped us get some water from some pretty tight and dry spots, up high especially. The convenience factor of the pump outweighs the benefits of the clean water for me... Won't leave without it now.

Carl

KodiakHntr
07-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Depends on whether 6 or 8 months of pissing out of your ass is worth the weight of 6oz of water filter or not.......Hunting buddy took a big gulp of water where it was leaking out of the rocks 20" from his nose, till I pointed out the big pile ptarmigan shit that was "prefiltering" the water for him under the rock over hang......

To me, there isn't water anywhere that I'll drink without running it through a filter first, regardless of how clean it looks. Hunting time is worth too much to me, to be curled up in a ball with stomach cramps because I didn't want to take the time to filter or tab some water.

And +1 to what Carl said, pretty tough to fill a water bottle from a saucer-sized depression in the rocks if you aren't using a pump.

Krico
07-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Carry those big lunches for a few days and I guarantee you'll trim them down.

Bring a couple cigars.

pappy
07-07-2011, 06:45 PM
A small thing of baby wipes are refreshing too if your willing to put them in the kitchen sink with the rest of the stuff you fellas have.

nature girl
07-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Gatorade
Duct tape
wysi wipes-wet and unroll they are small you add water and they are better then paper towel they are good to use after you gutt an animal they dont shredd to pieces to fast. I have bought them at a health food store and at Pricesmart foods in the towelletry section cost about $1.39 for 12.
Good luck with your hunt.

digger dogger
07-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Caribiner, eyedrops, water tabs, pillow cases, added. I've never "had" to filter water before but, Dave has one so he may aswell bring it.
Kodiak, the story on oranges is, while hiking in the Tat in 02, a week in I was finding orange peels on a trail.
After seeing them, all I could think about when my mouth was parched was a big juicy orange for 8 more days.
I've brought oranges ever since, and I bring apples to switch it up. Heavy but worth it for me.

Pappy, got baby wipes in the sink already. I called them wet naps.

The waders are "wiggys waders" they weigh 8 or 10 oz.

We are meeting The Walking Slaughter House at the lake,(he's walking in) so he said he's bringing the booze. lol
Thanx for suggestions so far guys.

ianwuzhere
07-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Looks like a good list..
-what do you guys do when its hot out with the meat? i was thinkin maybe garbage bag and finding a creek or cool spot..?.
-tripod for spotting scope.
-does anyone ever use a thermacell for the mosquitoes?

BromBones
07-07-2011, 09:51 PM
-what do you guys do when its hot out with the meat? i was thinkin maybe garbage bag and finding a creek or cool spot..?.
-tripod for spotting scope.
-does anyone ever use a thermacell for the mosquitoes?

Snowpack is good if you can find it. Garbage bags will hold heat and sweat, and can make the meat stink pretty bad.

Never pack a tripod anymore, just prop the spotter up on my pack and it's solid, and saves space/weight. Angled eyepiece is a must have for that.

budismyhorse
07-07-2011, 10:03 PM
For base camp..... Spag sauce(meat of course) and pasta is a must....jar peanut butter and ryveta...... None will go bad and have a tonne of protein and carbs to replenish.

GoatGuy
07-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Can't believe there's been no mention of Budweiser and Wisers.

Coming_out_heavy.
07-08-2011, 12:18 AM
You forgot the Rum.

houndogger
07-08-2011, 06:32 AM
Lucky and Gibsons sounds better.

BiG Boar
07-08-2011, 06:43 AM
There will be some Wiesers flow in for sure. Its on my list. Me and TheWalkingSlaughterHouse are going to be looking for his camera and that dead rams horns.

tuchodi
07-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Salt tablets as you will do a little sweating and need to replace it. Other than that looks good.

steve62
07-08-2011, 07:55 AM
What about the women, two twenty years olds are nice to keep at base camp. But makes it hard to get up and leave.

Lucky77_
07-08-2011, 08:25 AM
I would ditch the mole skin and replace it with duct tape. if you start to devellop hot spots tape your feet up right away and have no more worries. just make sure you do a good job and keep the wrinkles to a min. and your feetare dry before doing it, I like to air dry for a bit , you will get the hang of it. once this is achived just leave the tape on till it starts to peel should be a cupple days at least

KodiakHntr
07-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Kodiak, the story on oranges is, while hiking in the Tat in 02, a week in I was finding orange peels on a trail.
After seeing them, all I could think about when my mouth was parched was a big juicy orange for 8 more days.
I've brought oranges ever since, and I bring apples to switch it up. Heavy but worth it for me.

Fair enough I suppose. My luxury item is coffee whitener, so I can understand the craving.

You forgot the Rum.

Thats what I was thinking, a flask of Sailor Jerry goes a long ways.......grin

two twenty years olds are nice to keep at base camp. But makes it hard to leave.

Fixed it for you.......grin

KodiakHntr
07-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Salt tablets as you will do a little sweating and need to replace it. Other than that looks good.

Jerky will do the same thing.....

BromBones
07-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Put some Dr Scholls foot powder in a ziploc and throw it in the pack as well. Great for keeping the feet dry.

bigwhiteys
07-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Put some Dr Scholls foot powder in a ziploc and throw it in the pack as well.
Great for keeping the feet dry.

Better yet, throw on a pair of thin merino liner socks and then some Thorlo Trekkers. It's like walking on pillows, when it doesn't feel like pillows anymore.... SOCK CHANGE!

Carl

FirePower
07-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Lucky and Gibsons sounds better.

Coors and Cuervo lol

FirePower
07-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Oranges, apples, fruitcups I'd ditch myself.

Oranges have rind, which is dead weight. Apples are just plain heavy.

Ditch the waders. Use your camp shoes and roll up your pant legs. You won't be carrying the waders anywhere with you.

You are missing something there, but I can't figure what it is right off the bat.....Oh, liquor, for base camp.

And at least one weight-rated locking carabiner. Makes it MUCH easier to hoist food up in the air at base if you have any trees or anything.

Dry fruit in lu of the A&Os Ditto on the waiders "swim" shoes and cutoffs light and compact fit in your day pack nicely

KodiakHntr
07-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Dry fruit in lu of the A&Os Ditto on the waiders "swim" shoes and cutoffs light and compact fit in your day pack nicely

I rock Croc's and a pair of Columbia Omni-dry pants (zip off's), great for water crossings, and dry super quick if it rains on you or you end up in a creek crossing balls deep.

bigwhiteys
07-08-2011, 09:25 AM
I rock Croc's and a pair of Columbia Omni-dry pants (zip off's), great for water crossings, and dry super quick if it rains on you or you end up in a creek crossing balls deep.

I do the same, Crocs (or some cheapy foam brand) are super light, and comfy for around camp. For creek crossings though, most the time I am able to just hop across if it's knee deep or less and my boots/gaiter combo keep all the water out. I hate having to peel off my boots for creek crossings, then 5 min later do it again, and then again... and then again... by this point I just don't care and start walking right through.

Carl

greenhorn
07-08-2011, 09:43 AM
On the foot blister prevention aspect - My last pair of boots were awful and caused alot of blisters. Didn't matter what socks I wore or how much tape wrap I used. Since then I decided to toughen my foot skin up to prevent blisters.

What I do is go for short hikes in my new boots, but don't wear socks. By the end of the hike I can feel the spots on my skin where there was rubbing. After a few short hikes like this the skin on my feet thickens/toughens. Then, when I do wear socks It feels dreamy and I don't get blisters cause my skin is tough. I also walk barefoot around the house as much as possible.

Anyway, toughening the feet up has really worked for me and I don't get blisters anymore. Just a thought.

BromBones
07-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Better yet, throw on a pair of thin merino liner socks and then some Thorlo Trekkers. It's like walking on pillows, when it doesn't feel like pillows anymore.... SOCK CHANGE!

Carl

My feet sweat way too much to double up on sock layers, even in my uninsulated boots. Mid-weight merino socks + the foot powder seems to be the ticket for me.

mark
07-08-2011, 06:27 PM
:-D Edited... guess I didnt read close enough...

HD95
07-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Shouldn't need salt tablets....check the label on the freeze-dried.

whitetailsheds
07-08-2011, 08:34 PM
I like taking a couple packs of Landjaeger sausage. Kinda cross of pepperoni and jerky.....good stuff you can sink your teeth into! Backpacking or fly in....always goes.

TheProvider
07-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Theres an article in the summer edition of outdoor canada for a lightweight hiking trip. Everything you need

Deaddog
07-08-2011, 09:41 PM
all you need is a tent,sleeping bag, clothes, food, stove, pack, gun....good to go!!!!

Deaddog
07-08-2011, 09:43 PM
I like taking a couple packs of Landjaeger sausage. Kinda cross of pepperoni and jerky.....good stuff you can sink your teeth into! Backpacking or fly in....always goes.

I will second the landjaeger, they keep for weeks (you can wipe the mold off of them if you need to) and they do keep you going, we pretty much live off of them on sheep hunts

ianwuzhere
07-08-2011, 09:45 PM
what kind of compact stoves do you guys use? and a small pot?

leadpillproductions
07-08-2011, 09:52 PM
I use brunton compact stove ,with isofuel seems to work well

bigwhiteys
07-08-2011, 09:59 PM
My feet sweat way too much to double up on sock layers, even in my uninsulated boots. Mid-weight merino socks + the foot powder seems to be the ticket for me.

It's because my feet sweat that I double up on the layers... The thin liner pulls the sweat away quickly, passing it to the thick thorlos... Anytime we stop for a glassing break my boots come off anyways, along with the outersock and I let the mountain breeze air my feet out, usually prop my boots up too so the wind blows into them.

I will second the landjaeger, they keep for weeks (you can wipe the mold off of them if you need to) and they do keep you going, we pretty much live off of them on sheep hunts

I will third the landjaeger, considering it means "Country Hunter" in German I think it's quite fitting. It is quite tasty too... Grimm's beef jerky (kinda moist and really fresh) is another staple I take into the hills.

Carl

nature girl
07-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Your not going to have a good nights sleep without a pillow.

tuchodi
07-10-2011, 05:16 AM
Shouldn't need salt tablets....check the label on the freeze-dried.

We have always tried to make sure that the food we take has lots of salt in it and there is nothing worse than cramps that restrict your hunting when you have worked so hard to get there. The salt tablets are so light that we always take some with us and yes some times we have not needed them but they are a life safer if you need them.

boxhitch
07-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Your not going to have a good nights sleep without a pillow.Pillow is so subjective . jacket, moss, cape, saddle pad, they all work

Have talke dto doctors about muscle cramps and what if anything is deficient to cause them, the answer is water. Not salt, not calcium, not potassium. water

I take a one-a-day vitamin for insurance

bigwhiteys
07-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Have talke dto doctors about muscle cramps and what if anything is deficient to cause them, the answer is water. Not salt, not calcium, not potassium. water

Playing high level sports for quite a few years, we were always told the same thing... Magnesium tablets can help with muscle cramps too. Your muscles need Potassium to fire, so it's good to have.

For good rehydration, I take a long a little drink called "Emergen-C" (find at wal-mart) blows Gatorade or any other drink out of the water as far as vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes but tastes kinda gross.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_EStu-W0BJ-I/SwyerGrYAiI/AAAAAAAAAIo/vcPEWSn8_jM/s1600/emergenc-ingredients.jpg

Carl

Buck
07-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Playing high level sports for quite a few years, we were always told the same thing... Magnesium tablets can help with muscle cramps too. Your muscles need Potassium to fire, so it's good to have.

For good rehydration, I take a long a little drink called "Emergen-C" (find at wal-mart) blows Gatorade or any other drink out of the water as far as vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes but tastes kinda gross.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_EStu-W0BJ-I/SwyerGrYAiI/AAAAAAAAAIo/vcPEWSn8_jM/s1600/emergenc-ingredients.jpg

Carl

Tried to buy EMERGEN-C at Walmart but they did not carry it i bought it next door at London Drugs this is in Langley.

whitetailsheds
07-10-2011, 11:17 AM

A word from experience.....don't cut landjaeger into chunks and put it into anything too watery/ soupy.....becomes something a little less desired. Aesthetically anyways....she breaks down into something nasty looking. Thought I was making myself a bit of jambolaya, and put chunks of this into an ichiban noodle mix....EWWWWWW!
That, or eat it fast!

yugo111
07-10-2011, 02:04 PM
you guys ever measure how many cups of water can one off the small 100g gas containers boil?

Bighorn hunter
07-10-2011, 02:51 PM
you guys ever measure how many cups of water can one off the small 100g gas containers boil?

My answer would be no, may be a good idea, however it would just be a base line as there are a number of variables,such as temp and altitude

tuchodi
07-10-2011, 03:12 PM

I agree water is number 1 but you can only pack so much water because of its weight and being on many sheep hunts we were not always luck to find water on every hunt so the best alternative which may not be the best for you is the little salt tablet which from experience will relieve the cramps and allow you to carry on hunting.

Barracuda
07-10-2011, 03:52 PM
surprised nobody said condoms yet:lol:

Alpine85
07-10-2011, 05:18 PM

When we go, each throw a 8oz bottle in our pack. That will always take care of a 2 week trip, cooking mtn house, dessert every 2nd night then some hot drinks through out the trip.

Alpine85
07-10-2011, 05:44 PM
what kind of compact stoves do you guys use? and a small pot?

MSR Superfly with a Quick Solo Pot

Jagermeister
07-10-2011, 08:05 PM
How about some Listerene in a 6-8 oz spray bottle to keep the mosquitos out of the tent?

yugo111
07-10-2011, 10:38 PM
so I went on the jetboil site and they say that 100g canister should boil 12liters and if your using snow then 6 liters,
so I did my own experiment and boiled cold tap water and got 12 liters too

bighornbob
07-11-2011, 08:18 AM
How about some Listerene in a 6-8 oz spray bottle to keep the mosquitos out of the tent?

How about keeping the tent door zipped up at all times except exiting and entering the tent.:):)

6.5x55mm
07-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Loose the KD and swap for mountain house. You will be tired, KD takes to long to cook and little food value. Same thing with granola. Go to costco and find the highest calorie lowest weight food bar you can get. Good luck.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-11-2011, 08:42 AM
so I went on the jetboil site and they say that 100g canister should boil 12liters and if your using snow then 6 liters,
so I did my own experiment and boiled cold tap water and got 12 liters too

You can lessen your boiling time/fuel comsumption by filling a water container and letting it warm up throughout the day. Takes more energy to boil 3deg C water than 22 deg C water. You don't always have this option if you are moving but do it when you can....and it will save some fuel.

Using my Brunton Raptor with windscreen, I've never emptied a 450gn cannistor of fuel on a 14 day trip. Usually have a few days of fuel left.

SSS