PDA

View Full Version : Reg 7a MU 7:4 Raush River Mule Deer?

Jelvis
08-25-2006, 01:19 PM
deleted ------------------

BCrams
08-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Roads definatly have changed alot. The new landowner who owns the land on the Rausch River has now put a big solid gate up and there is now no access back there and dead ends with private property bordering the road from Dunster to the gate.

If you drive that road hunting deer, make sure you smile for the hidden camera taking pictures of the vehicles carrying people with wrong ideas about shooting a buck on private property ;)

The Croydon Road from Valemount to Dunster is like a highway now and well used.

Most of the crown land will be closer to Valemount or up Kiwa Creek.

Good luck.

Jelvis
08-25-2006, 07:36 PM
-------------------------

Schmaus
08-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Jelvis, sounds like you maybe hit somebody's secret spot

BCrams
08-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Jelvis -

Nothing stopping you from driving that road south of the Fraser and mostly "sight seeing" as the land is private on either side of that road from Dunster through to the Lower Rausch. Only about 10 km of road. Do your homework and you will see it on the landowner maps.

There is now a gate at the end of that road right on the tracks that the landowner put in last year to keep guys out and its NOT a FSR beyond that gate but privately owned now.

I know, because I am one of the very few dudes who have permission to hunt there and know whats going on.

Poaching has been a problem along here hence why the little heads up for that smile :lol:

You asked .... and I told you, things have changed since you used to be able to drive up the road to go hunting up the Rausch and I know everyone was able to and did it back then.

Thats why I mentioned that road through to Croydon and onto Valemount .... it accesses more "crown" land especially in the vicinity of Kiwa all the way through to Valemount.

That being said, You DID mention Small Creek and those specifics !! Happy to say that nothing can stop you from going up Small Creek on that FSR or any others you find :) I've spent quite a bit of time on the Small Creek side hunting on crown land ..... because believe it or not, hunting the private land isn't all cracked up to be like many guys like to think and while I stay there, I do alot of forays into areas that are crown land.

On the other hand, once you start driving past Croydon towards Dunster, its all private land either side of the road (but you can drive the road!) ... but man ... you bang a buck off that road (unless its standing on the middle) ... you've just poached a buck!!

butcher
08-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Try Spittal Creek right off the highway. Just make sure you are 400 m off. There's lots of new logging there and usually some muleys kicking around.

Rams is right about the Dunster/Croydon area. Those folks are pretty militant about their land and rightfully so. The CO's have no sense of humor about it either.

Seeadler
08-27-2006, 01:22 PM
On the other hand, once you start driving past Croydon towards Dunster, its all private land either side of the road (but you can drive the road!) ... but man ... you bang a buck off that road (unless its standing on the middle) ... you've just poached a buck!!

If land fronts on a public road and is not fenced, there is basically no recourse for trespass.

That being said, get a map from the Regional District that shows what is private and what is Crown. There is plenty of Crown Land in this province.

BCrams
08-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Seeadler ....

Just because there is no fence (particularly agriculture areas) does not mean you are allowed to, or gives you permission to hunt there .....

The wildlife act further states the following:
Agricultural and cleared land

39 (1) A person commits an offence if the person, without the consent of the owner, lessee or occupier of land,
(a) hunts over or traps in or on cultivated land, or
(b) hunts over Crown land that is subject to a grazing lease while the land is occupied by livestock

Your second statement is the best, and its readily and easily available.

Seeadler
08-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I never implied that no fence = permission to enter. I know nothing about the area in question, or it's cultivation status. But if there is no fence along a public road, then there is little to no legal recourse against trespassers.

There would be alot less problems with landowners if people would make a small effort to find an ownership map.

On the other hand, near where I live, I have seen people put up "No Trespassing" signs on land that I know to be Crown. And when I lived in Alberta I had people try to tell me I was on private property when I did in fact have a county landowner map with me (and it was very clear that the nearest private property was on the other side of the road). I even had a guy on my own land try to tell me that I was trespassing on private property.

I do believe that part of the ethics of hunting (and life in general) is respecting other's property.

BCrams
08-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Seedler .... I agree with you. Usually its quite clear on boundaries no matter where you go.

I was scouting last year and found a yellow full metal swing gate with a "Private Property" sign on it and the posts were sunk 5 feet on each side but I already knew the area to be crown land and took photos and within a few days it was pulled out by the CO's. It was likely put in by a few overzealous elk hunters wanting the area to themselves. Maybe those dudes are on this site and will know darn well what I am talking about.:lol:

I've run into alot of hunters over the years from the lower mainland that I run into up here that are moose hunting and on many occassions I have seen them construct signs along roads or entrances to certain blocks to discourage hunters from going.

Like yourself, I also have run into many guys trying to tell me I was trespassing an area or tell me I wasn't allowed to hunt a certain area.

Husky7mm
08-28-2006, 09:39 PM
The road in queastion is a public forest service road on the map. It was very hard to drive there on the first morning of our moose hunt and stare at a big Fu=king gate.Kind of finished the morning off...... I drove though the back way and I gotta say theres no way in hell that one guy owns all that country back there. SO the question of the day is were does the private land end and the public begin. Does this person own the river and the river bottom. Is it legal to block enterance to public land?PM me is this is a touchy subject for you.

Seeadler
08-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Does this person own the river and the river bottom. Is it legal to block enterance to public land?

People only own to the high water mark along rivers.

If the road is private (ie, there is no right of way), it is perfectly legal to block access to Crown land beyond. Can I walk across your back yard to visit your neighbour?

Jelvis
06-13-2008, 09:20 PM
----------------------------------

BCrams
06-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Dude....

The gate is still up as the road is privately owned and no one can drive up the Raush or even get close to the lower Raush.

The land either side of the road from Dunster to the deadend where the gate is... is all private.

The only way a person can get to the Raush is the upper Raush via Kiwa and then again private land starts just a little ways down.

Spitzer
06-14-2008, 09:34 AM
There's a trail in the back of the Kiwa that'll get you into the back of the Raush.

Way too many cattle free ranging in all those valleys should be illegal IMO. Can't even set up a tent without shoveling cow patties for an hour.

Jelvis
06-14-2008, 11:37 AM
-----------------------------

MattB
06-14-2008, 12:05 PM
I have no problem with cattle on public lands. I do have a problem with cattle in alpine environments and in sensitive areas (i.e. marshes). How cows are allowed in these areas is beyond me, they can do as much or more damage as any dirtbike or quad can!

grizzly_taker
06-15-2008, 05:39 AM
Go to the BC Cattlemans association for maps of lease and deeded land and what is crown. Show everything

Vansmasher
06-15-2008, 09:39 AM
I have no problem with cattle on public lands. I do have a problem with cattle in alpine environments and in sensitive areas (i.e. marshes). How cows are allowed in these areas is beyond me, they can do as much or more damage as any dirtbike or quad can!
there are sensitive areas throughout all public land. ie, creeks, rivers, swamps, marshes, etc.
free range cattle are causing more water contamination than logging is now...IMO. Heavy equipment can't go within +-10m of a riparian area, however Betsy the cow can shit and piss in it all she wants!!
They should put an end to it altogether.

wsm
06-16-2008, 09:29 PM
jel call the nearest conservation office to the area your going. they should be able to tell you or get you an answer.

wsm
06-16-2008, 09:30 PM
and deal with any problems that may or may not be, as well

Jelvis
06-16-2008, 09:48 PM
=====================

BCrams
06-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Time to check and see if those so called, " owners " are just, leasing, range land in the mighty Raush River Area.
Access should not be blocked except for conservation reasons only. imho. Wheres the survey maps? Jel2thepoint

Jel ...

The land is owned. A relative of mine owns a big chunk of that land out there and does not lease. The Raush properties / road is not leased but owned and the owners can do as they please.

Wildfoot
06-17-2008, 11:11 AM
i think the peterson's still own that land??? I havent heard of them selling it??

i used to guide horsepacking trips up there. All private, from the gate at dunster all the way back past the kiwi.
The family hunts up there, and allows extended family and friends to hunt out there. dont know about others..? Ive seen (and ate) some big bulls from that area!

BCrams
06-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Petersons still own the land ;)

It is indeed extended family and close family friends.

Jelvis
06-17-2008, 08:32 PM
---------------------------

jml11
06-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Just last week I was doing some riparian assessments for proposed cut blocks up the Kiwa on crown land. There are a few new blocks already in that area. Seen a couple of bucks in the logged blocks not far off the Dunster road

Jelvis
06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
--------------------------

BCrams
06-18-2008, 09:32 AM
. Mu 7-4 is still happening folks. Jel-11

What are you waiting for? Come on up!

Orangethunder
06-18-2008, 01:17 PM
What are you waiting for? Come on up!

Sounds good, except the last time I was up you needed to take a number at the bottom of the Kiwa to get in. Sure its beautiful country but when the moose draws open its a gong show. Yeah there are some dandy bucks up there too but again its LOTS of private, some marked, some not.

Who knows with gas prices so high folks might not want to go that far from the major centers.

BCrams
06-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Gas can be 5 bucks a liter and I'll still be hunting Region 3 this fall for those famous Nor River bucks Jelvis talks about.

Jelvis
06-18-2008, 03:33 PM
-----------------------

Wildfoot
06-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Sounds good, except the last time I was up you needed to take a number at the bottom of the Kiwa to get in. Sure its beautiful country but when the moose draws open its a gong show. Yeah there are some dandy bucks up there too but again its LOTS of private, some marked, some not.

Who knows with gas prices so high folks might not want to go that far from the major centers.

funny ive spent many days hiking up the kiwi and rarely have i even seen someone on the fsr. while on foot, i have never seen another person.
beautiful country though, especially back at the icefield at the headwaters.

Jelvis
06-19-2008, 09:17 AM
------------------------

BCrams
06-20-2008, 10:46 AM
I think the bucks of Nor River where you hunt is the place to be hunting mule deer!

Jelvis
06-20-2008, 02:07 PM
------------------------

BCrams
06-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Tete Juane is pretty country with the mountains / valley indeed.

How about you tell me where to go in a PM for the Nor River area and I'll hunt there and I'll tell you about the Tete country!

Jelvis
06-20-2008, 02:56 PM
--------------------------

horshur
06-20-2008, 06:44 PM
jell..your driving a bit to far...the north side of packsaddle creek..can look at it real good from the bridge...that is where I would hunt for late season mulies. Just a little bit above the town but be sure of the private...packsaddle creek itself would do as well.

Jelvis
06-20-2008, 07:13 PM
----------------------

Jelvis
11-12-2009, 04:30 PM
------------------------

PGK
11-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Hahahahaha. AAAAAAAAhahahahahah. Awesome.

dana
11-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Jelly,
You must have missed the invite. We did our annual Muley Camp back in Sept. The highcountry pics will be in the Beyond Borders issue of MC. Sorry but no pics until then.

PGK
11-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I love it when dana has conversations with himself

Jelvis
11-20-2009, 10:01 PM
------------------------------

dana
11-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Jelly,
Ever hear that song by Brad Paisley, 'So Much Cooler Online'? You should give it a listen. Really reminds me of you. ;)

mitchell
11-20-2009, 10:57 PM
i gots me a cow elk draw 72 73 74 75 oh where two go

Jelvis
03-17-2010, 04:21 PM
----------------------