PDA

View Full Version : Caring for your harvested ducks and geese?

Ben Fougere
07-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction for info on caring for ducks and geese after they've been brought home.

Would like to know different ways about preparing them for the table?

To pluck or not to pluck? To hang or not to hang?

gunnie2008
07-07-2011, 01:15 AM
As a Old Fowler. I breast (feel) them out for shot n clean cut into cutlets n sliced one side n stuff in bacon then dipped in egg yoke, cover with bread crumbs, I season and add ginger n garlic, or as you like, bake or fry.
Pluck n Bake whole the same as a turkey, in lower heat n baste more often, add what ever u desire.
I season all fresh meat and double the freezer wrap. ( Duck n Geese freezer burn faster whole.)
Make ground duck n goose peices, into duck patty's again season n freeze or put them on the barbi.
they get hung long enough over my shoulder as I'm going home.

I mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Get n Hungry.

Tanya
07-07-2011, 06:20 AM
We do two different things depending on the condition of the bird. If is is clean, fat, and probably young we may pluck and gut the whole bird, especially with mallards. If otherwise and with many geese we will pluck the breast and legs, remove and package separately. Invest in a Foodsaver machine, it is a super device for keeping meat fresh in the freezer.

Whole birds we use a variety of ways, especially ducks. "Beer can" duck: 1/2 tin of fluid of choice, season the skin and roast on the BBQ or in convection oven - about 25 minutes. Stand 10 minutes and carve off breasts, remove legs - not much more anyway. Other times we will season and roast or bone out except for the wings, and marinate in wine, onion, seasonings of choice for 12 - 36 hours. Remove, drain, and BBQ with smoking chips - keep a spray bottle of water at hand.

Geese: roast on a high heat to start and turn down. OR, we brine, smoke and then roast. Real good.

Use a digital thermometer to check the internal temperature on the breast - done to 130F or "beef medium" is lots done. All ow to stand 10 - 15 minutes before carving.

Breasted birds: Geese I cut the breast horizontally, pound, soak in mayo and seasoning for at least 4 hours, bread and fry - just like cutlets. Finish with a gravy, or with aspargus and swiss cheese over top in the oven. For ducks, score the skin, season and sear in a hot pan, turn over and finish at 400F for 10 minutes, stand for at least 5minutes, slice and eat with pan drippings enhanced by wine, or balsamic, and blueberries or cranberries sauteed in. Excellent, sliced and put on salad greens with the warm dressing drizzled over.

The legs from either duck or goose: Package separately from the breasts. Slow cook in desired liquids...curry, soya sauce and seasonings etc.

Lastly, if you are really adventurous and have time. You can make soup stock and/or soup. Find a chicken stock recipe and follow it.

Possibilities are endless, just read older cook books, or search the 'net. Enjoy.

Foxton Gundogs
07-07-2011, 11:07 AM
One of my old dog trainig mentors was from the UK his theory was "Ang um oop by the nick till the goots fall doown an ploug thar oss oles then thar fit ta eat" me personally I havg them for a couple of days take the breast and thighs/legs soak the meat over night in salt water and freeze.

Marc
07-07-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of ducks and geese that have been marinated in their own gut juice and will clean them sooner then later. If it's late season and cold I may leave them in the garage till the next day or so if I'm to exhausted to take care of them the same day.

My favorite way to cook them is fully plucked and roasted low and slow with carrots and potatoes. I just roasted up a Canada Goose on Canada day! Food saver freezer bag do an amazing job at keeping things fresh.

Here is a picture of a nice mallard cooked with some potatoes and carrots. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/duck_a_la_Marc.JPG

I've also had some sausages made with Duck and goose meat and smoked some goose breast as well.

Tanya
07-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Yup, Canada Goose on Canada Day here too :) Only we had Canada Goose sausage burgers. Endless possibilities when you grind the meats. Try 1 part good quality bacon ground and mixed with 4 parts other (goose or combo of goose and moose or venison or........) Add in some salt and any other preferred spices like chilis. Fry up a small bit to taste test and tweak if need be. We will freeze the goose breasts and grind later, gives you options.

springpin
07-08-2011, 07:15 AM
I can't wait till Duck/Goose season. This will be my first season going for them, and really looking forward to it!

finngun
08-21-2011, 03:30 PM
i never shoot Canada Goose yet but i will go hunting them this fall,, but many hunters says--they dont taste very good....is this true? i love mallard and other ducks --good eating,,but how are those big honkers?

ROEBUCK
08-21-2011, 03:43 PM
big honkers are my favorite wildfowl meat ,with mallard being a close second

rbduck
08-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Swap out a nice Canada for that Mallard in the above picture and you will have another great meal.

Ron

Crazy_Farmer
08-21-2011, 05:49 PM
This was my meals today, had biscuits and gravy. Bacon and goose sausage in the gravy.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/photo1.jpg

And supper was Mallard enchiladas. Slow cooked 12 hours in the crock pot. Damn delicious.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/photo2.jpg

fowl language
08-21-2011, 06:48 PM
early season geese with turn green in a matter of hours in warm weather,especially if they are eating grain or peas etc. we pull the guts out shortly after they are shot.i recommend this if at all possible ....fowl

FirePower
08-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Yes deal with the early season birds asap I am Brit by birth but not by pallet.

Legi0n
08-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Dry Aging (http://www.wildeats.com/journal/?p=17) Waterfowl

08-22-2011, 06:37 AM
hang um till they drop

finngun
08-22-2011, 10:58 PM
my wife is making soup [no soup for you] out of deer ribs and other hard stuff..smells good--eating tomorrow..lots of weggies included (http://browse.dict.cc/english-finnish/included.html)

fowlweather
08-23-2011, 12:27 AM
we usually just breast them here, sometimes if we want something extra special we will pluck them but in general breasting is good enough and then its strait to the kitchen. a good recipe if you are looking for something simple quick and tasty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SypgCjCy62k

spreerider
08-23-2011, 09:26 AM
to freeze duck and goose i put into freezer bags and fill them with water, this way they dont freezer burn as fast as the water keeps the air away from the meat like vac bagging.

Bucks&Ducks
08-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Deal with them as quick as possible, I just roughly pluck the center of the breast down the bone then fillet out the breasts and legs, then soak the in slaty water for a couple hours and either eat, or freeze

Glenny
08-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Dry Aging (http://www.wildeats.com/journal/?p=17) Waterfowl

LegiOn. I'm glad I read this. Good stuff. Thanks