PDA

View Full Version : Just given an older bow

coastalhunter
07-06-2011, 09:55 PM
My dad just gave me an older PSE compound bow. It is in pieces though (from shipping). Does anyone know if they are difficult to put back together (properly)? Or should I take it to someone who knows something about bows? Does anyone around Campbell River do that sort of thing?
Thanks.

Bow Walker
07-07-2011, 09:22 AM
I depends on how familiar or comfortabe you are with doing that sort of thing. If at all in doubt, I'd find a qualified shop or person to do it. I don't know of anyone in C.R. but if you're in Courtenay at all there's Rick at the local sports shop.

lilhoss
07-07-2011, 09:38 AM
I think the crew at Riverside Sports will set you up.Don't attempt it your self unless you have the bow vise and tools.If the draw length is off at all they can
setup your sights,draw weights,etc.Well worth it to have a pro set it up.

Barry O'Regan
09-26-2011, 03:51 PM
If it is an older bow, try and find out the age, because that will be important to know arrow wise. It is also best replace the cables and strings . Ask the pro shop for advice on replacement, they may be able to determine if the cables and strings need replacement. I would do it anyway to be safe.

In my profile photo you will see my older bow I shoot in 3D and soon Fita, over my newer Hoyts. My old bow is one I bought new in 1981, a Martin Cougar Magnum, I shoot fingers with it and arrows around 8-10 grains per pound. If your bow is 20 years old I would not attempt light 5 grain per pound arrows and go 8-10 grain per inch aluminum arrows all the way.

RoscoeP
09-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Riverside in CR is out of Archery. See Rodger at Tyee Marine in CR, they are a Hoyt dealer and also sell PSE. He has all the tools including a press in the back. He can put it together for you. Cheers