PDA

View Full Version : pop-up ground blinds

martyonthewater
07-05-2011, 10:50 PM
I recieved one for my birthday this winter and I am really looking fwd to having a sit down type hunt that isn't burning fuel all day. After a long pack into my yet to be discovered double super secret honeyhole of course. Just wondering how many folks out there have been using them and what if any difference it has made for your hunting experience.

BiG Boar
07-05-2011, 10:57 PM
I bought one too. But After going to Africa, I realized it's easy to build one in the bush with a few fallen logs and some brush. Bit of a pack around thing too. Just more junk in my opinion. Might be good for some people though.

hunter1947
07-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Like Dave said it is easy to build a ground blind I have about 10 in the area I hunt..

Steeleco
07-06-2011, 02:38 AM
I got one last winter as Army & Navy we're clearing out. Used it twice for Bobcat in Jan. It was very nice to sit out of the wind and not be too worried about moving. It does have a few blind spots but you learn to deal with them. It's not the right tool every time, but it works when you need it too.

springpin
07-06-2011, 06:23 AM
I get bored sitting In mine, sometimes fall asleep, so I bring some hunting mags. Also doubles as an ice fishing shanty.

MillBay
07-06-2011, 08:13 AM
I have used one for a few years now but just for the evening hunt. I set it up as soon as we start our week long hunt, I add a few extra's to it, grass, branches etc and it doesn’t take long for the deer to get used to it. It's WAY better than building a bush blind as I can us a chair and a shooting rest in it. I have built many bush blinds and you never seem to be comfortable or facing the right way. My theory is if you set up a blind in the right spot and you go every night of your trip (Ours is a weeklong) you will sooner or later get a crack at a good buck, at least that has worked for me. Most good bucks are shot at dusk.

CanuckShooter
07-06-2011, 09:49 AM
ONE tip.....do not set them up on a direct path that you have walked in on. Set them up so you can see the path you came in on....I had a grizzly follow my scent trail into a set up one day. The previous day my path in was directly behind my set up. As I watched that bear approach the reflection on the day before made me thank my lucky stars that it wasn't the day before that the bear had decided to follow me because he would have been sniffing my butt before I knew he was there!!!

martyonthewater
07-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Wow CS, that must have been a butt clenching experience. Thanks for the replies fellas, I think the biggest difference between the popup and a bush blind is the amount of scent that it may help contain. I've found the wind seems to swirl wherever I am trying to hunt so sitting in a tent may in fact help.

walks with deer
07-06-2011, 10:51 PM
I build them out of local brush big enough to sleep in on a warm sunny sept afternoon waiting for the evening

I try to build them up on rocks or other logs for safety and wind
i have deer and moose walk right buy me at a couple yards and they do not know.
the beauty of this is they last years.

Gun Dog
07-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Building a blind is fun and I like settling into the bushes but A&N was clearing out their hunting supplies (the end of an era) and I bought a Doghouse blind (http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/doghouse.html). It has 4 steel rings and pops into shape with a shake. It keeps you out of the rain and wind and is big enough for two. Works great.

TheProvider
07-07-2011, 11:04 PM
I got one,don't use it much. I always brush it in very well so sometimes its just easier to make a brush blind. It does work great for and ice shack though

Mountain Hunter
07-10-2011, 09:02 PM
I have a pop-up blind and use it mostly in November when it is chilly. I wear heavy insulated coveralls and bring in a propane coleman sport cat heater and place it below the stool, which takes the chill off. I can last several hours in colder than -15C temps this way.

I place it about 50-70 meters from some good deer trails and wedge it in amongst shrubs or under the limbs of a spruce tree to help conceal it a bit, also throw some snow on the roof as well for good measure. I tried placing it the open forest but the deer pick it out right away, so good to put it up and leave it for a few days so they get accustomed to it, regardless I have had deer walk within 15 yards even when it is recently put up with me sitting in it. The warm air from the heater escaping through the windows likely doesn't help the scent situation but if it is setup with the wind in your favor and several meters from trails I still have had good success. It's great that you can quietly move around in it when deer are close by and go unnoticed. I only pack this setup <200 m from a road or ATV trail, works well in dense forested whitetail country where stalking/walking is difficult.

Also works good without a heater in October when there is freezing rain/wet snow, you can sit with insulated jacket and pants for several hours with only a few drips from the saturated seams along the roof, and keeps the bitter cold wind out. A buddy took a nice 170 class mule deer buck in a slide path in this type of crappy weather when all the other hunters were no where to be seen. Again, with a short hike to a selected spot with good views where several slides converged together.

It can be a great setup in the right conditions.

martyonthewater
08-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, looking fwd to getting out and sitting still for a few days

markt308
08-06-2011, 09:47 AM
I have one. its an ameristep. super easy to set up, but a serious learning experience to get back in its bag! anyone who has one knows what i mean. I've go it down now but at first, wow. anyways, i use it cause it's great for filming and 2 people can fit in mine with chairs and vid cam on a tripod. ITS ALL ABOUT LOCATION! if you dont have a good spot you will wonder why you ever bought or built a blind. But it can be very fun. I have rattled in deer and called in moose to my blind. It's a cool experience. give it a few try's and good luck buddy