PDA

View Full Version : new elk hunter

flyboy
07-05-2011, 07:52 PM
I want to try my hand at elk hunting this fall. I am interested in learning how to call. For starting out what do you all recommend a person should consntrate on for calling practise.any specific brands of calls/bugles better then others for newbees? Thanks

sarg
07-05-2011, 08:00 PM
spent alot of time on youtube, thats what i did for moose calling. there alot of good stuff on there but a lot of sh*t to, just start watching them and u can tell the good from the bad,
sarg

TheProvider
07-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Theres alot of great calls, Primos are good, easy to use and availible at most places, Jones calls specialzes in elk calls but alot are diaghrams. Diaghrams will take alot longer to learn to use and get good at.

quadrakid
07-05-2011, 09:10 PM
If you search the site there has been some great threads on this subject .Plenty of experienced elk callers on HBC. Learning how to call is important,learning when to call and when to use a cow call versus a bull call also very important.I have very little experience but had some success talking to some bulls on my first elk trip. Nothing in my thirty some odd years of hunting compares to hearing that bull answer my call. I,ll be back at er again someday, good luck in your quest.

elkdom
07-05-2011, 09:21 PM
and learning when "Not to Call" is even more difficult ! :wink:

pappy
07-05-2011, 09:33 PM
I agree with Elkdom, sometimes it can get exciting and thats when you need patience.

moosinaround
07-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Dam stupid elk, don't waste your time, stupid elk................................call them in BAH!! stupid stupid elk, Hate em I do, sputering stupid elk............................................... ..........................................Bugling Bast#$%ds, tease me then dissapear .................................................. ............Dam elk............................................... .....................................Moosin;)

hunter1947
07-06-2011, 01:53 AM
Sometimes it is best not to call and look.

Vader
07-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Although difficult to master the diaphragm call is the most realistic, works at +30 and -30, can be changed in a split second and, if you are really good, can be used to call turkeys, (what the original call was designed for), grizzlies, cougars and the odd bull moose. It takes persistence and a lot of patience but is well worth it.
For long range try the Power bugle. For a younger bull sound a little closer in try the MacDaddy. Not advertising for them but they are pretty simple to operate. Lots use the Hootchie Mama for cow calling.. I've had several (3) fail at critical moments and still have one but I don't rely on it.
If you become a true elk finatic you will have one of everything. Some of it junk in your trunk but sometimes a change up will suprise them and you.

bearhunter338-06
07-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Diaphragm calls tickle the roof of my mouth and I start to sneeze, eyes become rivers and I can't see lol.