PDA

View Full Version : BC forestry road maps

the sentencer
07-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Does anyone know where you can get good maps of BC FSR's? I know about the backroad map books and own them all but the info in there isn't the greatest or most up to date. What i'm after is current forestry info on what roads exist and if there activated or deactived. Does any such thing exist? I've e-mailed BC Forestry with little success. I'm mainly looking for maps in the Lillooet area. Thanks for any help.

jimh
07-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Find out who is the largest logging company operating in the area and try searching through their website if they have one. Where I am here I found one that they update every month or two. Shows where they are planning on working next and what roads are deactivated etc. Hope this helps. Jim

sarg
07-05-2011, 07:55 PM
i think u can go to the local city hall and ask for them, i think there faily cheap.

Buckman
07-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Cotact the engineering guy in Merritt with the Forest Service. He takes care of the Lillooet area also and should be able to hlp you out.

rcar
07-05-2011, 09:07 PM
I have a cabin near Lac La Hache and when I needed some info I went to the forestry office in 100 Mile. They were super helpful providing me with real time conditions on the area I wanted to go. I can't speak for your local office but I would start there.

Gun Dog
07-05-2011, 09:18 PM
I use GeoBC (http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/dm/wms/index.html) which provides links into the BC map database and even has an interface to Google Earth. It helps if you understand map layers. If you want a printed copy I've used Cloverpoint Cartographers (http://www.canadamapstore.com/ProductFeatures.aspx) in Victoria to print & mail a copy of the BC map database.

the sentencer
07-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the information, i'll be giving them a call soon!

Westslope
07-07-2011, 11:01 PM
You can use the iMap service found by searching pretty much any resource related BC government site. You can start an account called a bceid (it's free) and after using it a bit you can make a pretty sharp map complete with a UTM grid. I like it because you can save it as a PDF and print one off on a regular printer anytime you want. People should use these more often our tax dollars make them happen!