PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow bolts?

abbyfireguy
07-05-2011, 02:02 PM
So, took the plunge and bought an Excalibur Exocet 200 today. Now, I need to decide what style bolts to buy.
Do you guys use aluminum or carbon fibre bolts for these crossbows?
Do you use a different bolt for target than hunting??
Thanks for any info.

Steve

bcfarmer
07-05-2011, 02:35 PM
While I don't have a lot of experience .....I have found, if shooting 3-D targets, that aluminum is much easier to remove than carbon fiber.

Bow Walker
07-05-2011, 02:37 PM
It's been my experience that most guys go with the aluminum bolts for the weight factor. Bolts are generally less than 22" long so it is advisable to get a bolt that is fairly heavy for that short length.

pappy
07-05-2011, 03:07 PM
My crossbow came with carbon bolts so I checked paperwork it came with and now I shoot carbon express 425 grain 20" bolts with 100 grain broadheads for hunting and 100 grain fieldpoints for practice. Its in the regs about minimum weight a bolt can be is 250 grains from a compound crossbow. I might switch to 125 heads this year for a change if I try for elk or moose instead of just deer. Total weight is 525 grains right now.

Bow Walker
07-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Most manufacturers make cross bow bolts in carbon nowadays - they work great.

My personal preference would be to go with carbon over aluminum, but like I said - most guys go with the aluminums.

Carbon just offers an exceptional level of durability that cannot be overlooked.

Mountain Man
07-05-2011, 03:41 PM
I sell a pile of these bows and would strongly recommend the Excalibur Carbon bolts, 150 gr points, and bolt cutter broadheads.

Dont take this as a personal opinion just call there customer service number and speak with on of the service techs and go from there. 800-463-1817.

mikeboehm
07-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Go with carbon. I was shooting brand new easton aluminum bolts. They were not very accurate at any distance. I switch to carbon and i kept hitting arrows. Carbon way better.

dragonslayer
07-05-2011, 05:43 PM
I also shoot carbon and found them very good, but hard to remove from a syrofoam backboard which I use for a stopper

fireguy
07-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Carbon for myself, and I also bring along a couple cheap aluminum ones for "unloading" my crossbow when I'm done hunting

abbyfireguy
07-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys, carbon it is then. Now to wait for delivery.:mrgreen:

Mountaintop
07-06-2011, 09:37 AM
I have an Exocet myself and love the bow. Good choice with the carbon, I was making the same arrow decision last year. I tried both aluminum and carbon. I heard some bad stuff about carbon cracking or shattering but the Excal Firebolts are C-2 and the only problem I have had with breaking is when I try and kill rocks. Be sure that your front insert is securely glued in though as I have had some issue with the front inset coming loose and losing a field point.

IronNoggin
07-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Carbon for me as well. Like the SPEED and Accuracy!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

Riverbc
07-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Carbon for me as well. Like the SPEED and Accuracy!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
how come you aren't out fishing sox in the inlet? Oh yeah..they had a seine opening in the entire inlet...there are no sox left in the inlet. :(
Sorry for hijack.

bhartenb
07-17-2011, 06:54 PM
I found carbon worked best last year, and for the 2 yrs prior to that I used aluminum because they flew better then.

I take both to the range and find that the carbon starts flying higher at 30yrds. +.

Either shaft works well. I've harvested deer with both.
I use Thunderhead 125s for a broadhead and that seems to work for me on either aluminum or carbon.

Buckey's in Duncan has lots of bolts last I looked.

Good luck

Bow Walker
07-18-2011, 10:19 AM
I also shoot carbon and found them very good, but hard to remove from a syrofoam backboard which I use for a stopper
Try using a bar of soap and ribbing it up and down the shaft for about 6 inches behind the tip - should make arrow removal a lot easier, cheaper than buying arrow lube too......