PDA

View Full Version : question about grizzly in 7-02

peashooter
07-04-2011, 05:30 PM
hey, i got a bud who got a grizzly draw in 7-02 this fall and just wondering if anyone has been and has any tips or info to share. just wondering what to expect, from what i understand there is limited access? any input would be much appreciated. thanks.

hotel26
07-04-2011, 05:47 PM
good boat access from the mica creek area, north of revelstoke. a quad would be handy as there is a few good logging roads in that area. i've worked up that way and have seen a few nice grizz.

fireguy
07-04-2011, 06:43 PM
I took a 8 1/2 ft griz in the spring, a number of years ago in that area. I ventured south from Valemont and there was way less access back then, ended up boating accross the lake and bushwacking in 6km to a remote valley.

peashooter
07-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Any ideas on best time to go. Start of season, close to end? Certain weather to look for?

hazardiz
07-11-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm listening too...got a draw in 7-5...

Husky7mm
07-12-2011, 10:50 AM
They are roaming far and wide by the fall, the feed is everywhere by then not just on slide shoots like in the spring. Many remote valley have no access whatsoever. The fall draw is easy to get because the success rate is very low. Pair your hunt up with a black bear, or deer hunt, and think of the grizzly as a bonus while hunting something else, like moose, if you have an leh, spike/fork is also a long shot. Most of the grizz I saw in the fall were up high, real high. Bring a quad as most of the bridges are rotten, not much for new logging going on up there. Good luck.

dana
07-12-2011, 06:07 PM
With a ton of draws handed out at 1.5:1 odds, I think the ministry is just hoping some people might actually get er done and a few bears will die. I've had the draw in the past. I only saw 1 grizz during the fall and I was glassing from the valley bottom and he was on top of a mountain. With this wet year, the berries should be amazing this fall, and that is what those bears will be chowing down on. The problem is the berries will be thick from the top to the bottom and everywhere in between. They don't have to be in the slides to find the berries. It is definately a tougher hunt in the fall. Best to do what Husky said and focus on other species with grizz as a bonus. You can run into them pretty much anywhere in the unit.

trapman
07-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Saw 8 griz there this spring ,very limited access but they are there

Husky7mm
07-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Hunting spring grizzly and fall grizzly are totally different, They are concentated in the spring. Yes they are there, between the fall and spring they give out 96 tags, mostly because of low success rates and poor access. Its good though, do the moose a favour and shoot a grizz or 10. Not enough ungulates over there and too many bears.....

peashooter
07-13-2011, 08:10 PM
What would be considered to late in the year to go. I would like to go between oct 1-14. Is there a prime time for fall hunts up there!

dana
07-13-2011, 09:19 PM
IMO, the 2 best times are either above treeline at the beggining of the season or hunt the end and hope for some good nasty weather to push them low where they will be feeding on dead Kokanee before they den up.