PDA

View Full Version : Carpenter Lake- Anyone Been There?

Ryan
08-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Hi Everyone!!!

I am planning a trip up to Carpenter Lake for Mule Deer, but I have never been there. Just wondering if anyone has ever been there and if they have any tips that they could provide me regarding the area.

Thanks

Jelvis
08-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi Ryan, I have hunted Carpenter Lake way back but I remember that its a real good spot for mule deer. MU 3-32. Good deer range is found above the main road above the lake. Drive by Tyaughton Lake Lodge rd and there is a campsite hunt above road it is good in that spot, good luck hunter. Jel

Ryan
08-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks that is awsome. How is the road going in? I hear that it is steep and is dirt all the way in towards Gold Bridge.

Ryan

Mauser98
08-24-2006, 04:19 PM
I was there in 1960 with our brand new '59 Rambler. The road was pretty rough. Does that help?:)

Jelvis
08-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Ryan, I don't think the road is a problem, If you camp by the campsite there is a creek, just camp there and walk up the hills above the main road, You will be east of Gold Bridge about 5k at Gun Creek, this area is good mule deer. I would suggest hunt with your partner til you get to know the area a bit. The ground there has long grass and lots of needles it is quiet walking so you get quite close to deer. Take your camera it is a good spot. Good hunting P.S. your above the road and lake so take a compass and take a reading above the road.

Deaddog
08-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Ryan, I was in there three weeks ago on a week long horse trip, tyaughton creek road(or the road we used to get up there) was fine and in good shape, watch for logging trucks though, there is a ton of deer up there and lots of good trails to walk on, the country is steep however, we rode up along the creek and then cut over to spruce lake, nice day hike along the open hillsides, the outfitters trails run right along the valley, with a little looking you should be able to find them, Good luck!

CNE
08-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Drive slow on the way out between lillouet and the damn on carpenter.The road is VERY narrow and its a long way down in spots to the river. watch for shale on the road. I drive out there several times a year and know the road well. I dont go over 80, had to many close calls. Some of the road is paved but alot of it is gravel and very dusty.

ZENYO
08-24-2006, 05:40 PM
I was there the year before last. It's great! Even when the hunting is slow it's a nice place to be. Lots of grouse to if you like the birds...
the roads are pretty uneventful, you shouldn't have any problems. I'm heading up there on the long weekend. When you going up?

ZENYO
08-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Sorry CNE, I didn't read your post fully before I posted my message. You obviously know the road better than me. I would take his advice Ryan.:smile:

Drive slow on the way out between lillouet and the damn on carpenter.The road is VERY narrow and its a long way down in spots to the river. watch for shale on the road. I drive out there several times a year and know the road well. I dont go over 80, had to many close calls. Some of the road is paved but alot of it is gravel and very dusty.

mapguy
08-25-2006, 06:43 AM
lots of big bucks odd moose rizzly bears the higher you climb the bigger the bucksmy bud hunts that area above the treeline be prepared for 400 to 600 yard shots

mapguy
08-25-2006, 06:49 AM
lots of big bucks,odd moose,grizzly bears my bud has been hunting in that area.the higher you climb the bigger the bucks up to 250 lbs expect to take shots 400 to 600 yards

Ryan
08-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks Everyone,

This has provided me with some good guidance for my trip. I will let everyone know how I made out when I get back.