PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ranch Kodiak -

BromBones
07-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Turns out I now have a void to fill in my gear closet - I lent my internal frame pack to a cousin who's headed up wrangling/guiding this year, and probably will just let her keep it. Which means I have an excuse to get rid of some $$ on a new internal.:-D

Most of the searches I've done here turn up talk of the MR - NICE setup, which I'm not interested in as my OX pack takes care of that side. But I'm a sucker for a big displacement internal frame pack and the Kodiak looks like something I'd be interested in.

Anyone here had got some input on this pack? Would be interested in hearing some details from guys who have logged a few miles with one & any pros/cons of the pack.

Thanks.

Buck
07-03-2011, 08:22 PM
I just got one without a doubt the quality is there.It is really well made.Lots of adjustment very comfortable weight is on the hips.I don't see it falling apart.If i could have one alteration it would be an internal meat bag like the Kuiu.I have never read a bad review from the hardcore guys.

dana
07-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Not sure if mine is a Kodiak or the Grizzly. I got it 'used' this past spring. If the 2 different guys before me would write a review, it wouldn't be positive. But they are freakin giants and the pack just didn't fit them. Me, being a midget, it fits me like a glove. Tested it out all spring while shed hunting, had it loaded up with moose sheds a time or 2. Liked how it carries the weight. Even threw 100 lbs of frozen meat in it just to see how that felt. I didn't climb a mountain with it full of frozen meat, but walking around the yard it felt way better than what 100 lbs feels in my Eberlestock. I'm looking forward to the true test this fall. With 4 moose tags in my family and a few friends with moose tags too, I'm sure I'll get to be a pack mule and break in that pack for myself.

bigwhiteys
07-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Most of the searches I've done here turn up talk of the MR - NICE setup, which I'm not interested in as my OX pack takes care of that side. But I'm a sucker for a big displacement internal frame pack and the Kodiak looks like something I'd be interested in.

I know you don't want the NICE but having used several internals, I can honestly hardly tell the NICE isn't an Internal. More options with the NICE than their internals I think too?

Carl

ThinAir
07-03-2011, 09:59 PM
I've got the kodiak. It is a great pack, with lots of
room when your coming out heavy!

I had a porcupine chew part of the shoulder strap area and the guys at MR fixed it up for free, and asked if I was happy... you can't beat the service.

BromBones
07-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I know you don't want the NICE but having used several internals, I can honestly hardly tell the NICE isn't an Internal. More options with the NICE than their internals I think too?

Carl

I hear ya there - my Ox pack carries just like an internal as well. Have looked at the NICE frame & all the accessories and I'd most likely have a pretty hefty bill by the time I was done :)

I don't really need another pack (sorta like some of the guns I own), I just like having a big internal frame for trekking where you're not gonna be packing meat out. I'm pretty fond of big top-loading internals like the Bora and Lowe Alpine packs I've had, and the Kodiak is really to my liking.

sheephunterab
07-03-2011, 11:43 PM
I've got one and while it is heavy and expensive.....it is an incredible pack. I've done a couple extended trips and love it and I had 140 pounds of elk in it for about 5kms. If I had a complaint it's that you can't get the zippered pockets for the waist belt but that's about the only complaint. I personally prefer it to the NICE for what I do.

MattB
07-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Its the only pack that's given me a blister on my back when loaded over 100lbs...

luckynuts
07-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Hey BB Give Grant "whitetailsheds" a pm he has one and has been putting it throught the tests these last 4-5 months or so. He is pleased with it and it packs a good load from what he says. I wish I had gone up a size with mine now that I think of it.

W.