PDA

View Full Version : Crawfish/Crayfish

joey_halen2000
07-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Hey guys I know the forum topic is hunting but I thought most hunters are likely fishers as well, so I have a fishing question for you all.
I'm interested in trying some crawfish, I've heard from a European friend that they are quite good so I've been doing a bit of research on how to catch them with traps and noticed in the fishing regs that the daily quota is pretty high. So I figure there must be a healthy population in BC Lakes and streams to allow for so many being caught.
Does anybody actively catch crawfish in the fraser valley ? If so, what methods do you use and what can you tell me about finding them ? I've read that they are in the fraser in rocky areas. I'm heading up to Jones lake for a couple days of camping and thought maybe I'd try there ?
Any advice ? Tips ?

recoil
07-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Saw a huge one in Jones last labour day, tried catching him but he was too quick for me. I believe there are traps available online. Myself i would be concerned about eating a crayfish out of the main fraser as they are bottom feeders and there are a few municipalities that dump their sewage into the river. We used to see them a lot in the smaller clearwater creeks like kanaka, allouette, skagit/silverhope creek and lake might also be worth trying.

SHACK
07-03-2011, 06:38 PM
still trap em on occasion myself. Plenty of great spots to try around the FV. Most of our waterways contain crayfish, and you will catch em, just have to spend a little time with the traps out to find your own "honey hole" or two. Any of the above mentioned waterways are good areas to start, just dont plunk your traps in swift water you wont catch as many, walking speed or less is better, and it does not wash your bait out as fast. I just use prawn traps and they work great.
You can flush them in a larg bucket of clean fresh water over night if you want, but they are like most bottom feeders.....tasty!!

Shooter
07-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Yep Prawn traps will work great.

Bucks&Ducks
07-03-2011, 06:50 PM
prawn traps with prawn/crab bait will get you a pile of them if you know where to drop the lines

Foxton Gundogs
07-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Hey guys I know the forum topic is hunting but I thought most hunters are likely fishers as well, so I have a fishing question for you all.
I'm interested in trying some crawfish, I've heard from a European friend that they are quite good so I've been doing a bit of research on how to catch them with traps and noticed in the fishing regs that the daily quota is pretty high. So I figure there must be a healthy population in BC Lakes and streams to allow for so many being caught.
Does anybody actively catch crawfish in the fraser valley ? If so, what methods do you use and what can you tell me about finding them ? I've read that they are in the fraser in rocky areas. I'm heading up to Jones lake for a couple days of camping and thought maybe I'd try there ?
Any advice ? Tips ?

There was a post on this same topic someplace about a month ago with a lot of good info just cant remember where

lip_ripper00
07-03-2011, 06:59 PM
There was a post on this same topic someplace about a month ago with a lot of good info just cant remember where

try this http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?30426-Crayfish&highlight=crayfish

Buck TraX
07-03-2011, 07:02 PM
the vedder has some huge ones.I have eaten a few over the years and they are delicious.I might just have to go get some myself!!

pin_head
07-03-2011, 07:50 PM
God dang, it's time to go out pickin some crawdads! I usually get em while I'm out fly fishing for trout. Just flip over rocks and grab em! I think I might try some traps though to get a good feasts worth

Bucks&Ducks
07-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Leave the traps out overnight if you can because they are nocturnal for the most part

Bighorn hunter
07-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Had a few a couple of years ago but the shells were brutal tough compared to a prawn. Do you guys add something to the water to soften em up or did I just have a tough bunch of crawdads?

BH

sarg
07-03-2011, 09:59 PM
well i'm going to jones lake tomorrow for caryfish. i'll let u know how i make out,it will be my first time trying for crayfish there.. oh and i use a prawn trap seem to work from me,

lip_ripper00
07-03-2011, 10:37 PM
I am going to have a go at making a trap tomorrow and will try it on the weekend, lots of good info .... thanks

happyhunter
07-03-2011, 10:46 PM
I made traps with wire and found the instructions on YouTube. I baited them with fish heads and they worked great. They might still have babies this time of year, if so you will see the baby crayfish or eggs underneath the mothers tail. If so it's good to let those ones go so there will always be more. Good luck out there

cdnshooter13
07-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Prawn traps and any type of bait you would use for prawns or crabs works great! Have noticed better success in the evening and soaking over night. Another way to try in clear water with rocky bottoms is to snorkle for them, we'd just take a small fish net (like goldfish pond size) and about a 5' stick to distract them with while you manouver the net behind them then just scare them and when they swim away backwards they just swim right into your net. Then just make a little holding pen in an innertube to put them.

joey_halen2000
07-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks for all the good info guys. Seems like there is more interest in these little guys than I thought. Hopefully all the guys that said they're gonna give it a go report back to this thread with some stories of how it went and maybe even a picture or two of your catch. Sarg....Definitely interested in how you make out up at Jones lake today....I'm heading there soon and will make sure to have a trap made before I head up. Let me know how it goes. I'm going to try and make a trap from some instructions on youtube....Anyone local have any traps for sale ? Chilliwack area ?

bigwhiteys
07-04-2011, 07:44 AM
My sons and I catch them in the little Qualicum. We throw on our snorkels and fins and catch them in the big pools above the falls. Pretty easy to catch by hand and fun for the kids. We always let them go though... Do they taste like a prawn or more like a lobster? The little Q. runs pretty clean too.

Carl

joey_halen2000
07-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Well I made a trap today from some matierials I had already on hand (Garden wire mesh, and zip ties). I'm gonna try and figure out how to post pictures and show you guys what I came up with. Hopefully it'll work !

Having trouble with the pictures....This site is saying the file is too big whether I upload direct from my computer or try the url from photobucket ? Is there a quick way to get past this ?

joey_halen2000
07-04-2011, 02:25 PM
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg202/joey_halen2000/IMGP5409.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg202/joey_halen2000/IMGP5408.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg202/joey_halen2000/IMGP5407.jpg

FirePower
07-04-2011, 02:26 PM
On our water fowl trips to louisiana water fowl trips we get fed the little buggers by the bucket top drawer eats for sure. I have eaten some of the local crayfish and although quite good came no where near the ones down there but that may just be the preperation and setting.

joey_halen2000
07-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Got the pics up....What do you guys think ? Am I gonna catch anything with this home made rig ?

lip_ripper00
07-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Got the pics up....What do you guys think ? Am I gonna catch anything with this home made rig ?

Looks good to me, Just like the plans I found and made today!

SHACK
07-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Yup, that will work just fine. Just make sure you wieght it down with a sinker inside or a good sized stone or its gonna take a good while to get down, and a breeze will tow it about by the line! Dont be lazy either ;) , make a few traps to set out!!!

sparkes3
07-04-2011, 06:59 PM
i made two like that last year for jones lake set them at the mouth of a creek and wait for a few hours they work great ,also dont forget the weiner on a string method while you are waiting on the traps.

Foxton Gundogs
07-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Looks MUCH better than the old gal. wine jugs we used to use and they woorked just fine. You should be dining in style soon

Glenny
07-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Traps look great Joey. should do the trick.

sarg
07-04-2011, 07:40 PM
just got back from jones lake with 11 crayfish, the net was only in the water for about 1.5h.

joey_halen2000
07-05-2011, 04:31 AM
Nice work Sarg ! I saw your pics in your other thread. Glad to see you had some success up there at Jones Lake. What did you use for bait in your trap ?

sarg
07-05-2011, 09:03 AM
just a salmon head i had from last year,

joey_halen2000
07-10-2011, 05:55 AM
Well I'm heading up to Jones Lake tomorrow for a couple days camping with my kids and my brother and his kids. Gonna give this crayfish trap a try. What can you guys tell me about storing the crayfish before eating them. I've read on all these down south american sites not to store them in standing water or they will die ? Seems a little strange to me since they do live in the water. From what I've read it's recomended to store them with a wet towel on top of them in a cool place ? Anyone have any experience with this that you can share ? Also I'm going to be fishing for trout while I'm there. Anyone know the best spots to fish from shore at this lake. The guys at Chilliwack Dart and Tackle said they've had really good luck along the rock slide past the cabins there. I set my son's rod up with a float and he'll just use worms. I'm planning to use wedding bands on my rod.

keoke
07-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Depending on the level of the lake snags can be very bad.