PDA

View Full Version : deer food

jeff
07-03-2011, 05:30 PM
whats the best deer food to put in front of your game cam is apples any good or horse oats or ive just been looking up deer kane what seems to work best

Marc
07-03-2011, 05:33 PM
They will eat oats, carrots, apples, but so will bears.

SR80
07-03-2011, 05:33 PM
i put some oats and barley in front of mine a few weeks ago. Two bears came and ate the whole pile the first day, but lots of deer stopped by the site picking up scraps. Had the most deer ive ever had that time on my camera.

huntwriter
07-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Mineral salt blocks. Long lasting, effective and cheap.

FirePower
07-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Mineral salt blocks. Long lasting, effective and cheap.

X2 Defanately the most effective. You can "salt " the spot with some good quality alfalfa hay to get them started, bears will show less intrest at this time of year as there is lots of green, but it's candy to deer. The alfalfa will bring them the mineral(get the brown trace mineral block) will keep them coming back.

jeff
07-03-2011, 06:34 PM
so im going to go grab a mineral salt block everyone agree brown is best for deer

TheProvider
07-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Try brown, I just started using salt blocks and got the blue ones. Have pics of deer walking right by it. Might differ with your feed store but mine you can buy 5lb or 50lb blocks. I purposely got two 5lb blue blocks to try, cost $9 in total. I'll be picking up two brown ones to see if they work better if so I'll upsize it to the 50lbs.

digger dogger
07-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Jeff, Chilliwack Dart & Tackle usually has a few bags of Deer Co Kane in store.
Call them and see if they still have some in stock. (it works)

jeff
07-03-2011, 07:24 PM
sounds like i might get them hooked on that stuff deer cokane sounds like a good product ill try some

Bucks&Ducks
07-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Plan a garden and you wont be able to keep them away....Dam buggers

they like strawberry plants best

TheProvider
07-03-2011, 07:50 PM
6.5lb bag of deer cane at cabelas.com for $8

jeff
07-03-2011, 07:54 PM
provider have u used the deer kane and is it a powder and what u just sprinkle it around and soak it

TheProvider
07-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Haven't used it but I might give it a try. With the powder you mix the 6.5lb with 6-8gallons of water then pour it in a 4ft circle. They also sell a 4lb block of the stuff. Depending where your hunting and putting it out the block will prolly be easier to use. Keep in mind though that if your gonna use it get it soon because deer will be less attracted to it once they shed their antlers. I looked at one spot today where I dug a hole roughly 2'x2' and 6" deep, mixed the soil with 4lbs of course salt and put it back in the hole. The area was torn and pawed up. Unfortunately didn't have a trail cam at that location anymore.

huntwriter
07-03-2011, 08:05 PM
so im going to go grab a mineral salt block everyone agree brown is best for deer

Having tried many different mineral slat blocks over the years I am partial to the brown ones. Here is another benefit of mineral salt blocks worth considering. Back in the early 90's when I guided bowhunters in Illinois I had established several mineral salt licks. I know of at least five of them that became traditional. Meaning, even after I stopped laying out mineral slat blocks deer kept coming back for years. It was not until later that it dawned on me that the blocks (lasting up to two years) saturated the ground with mineral salt that kept attracting deer.

As mentioned there are other products on the market such as "Deer Candy", "Deer Co-Kane" plus various other name brands. With small variations these products contain the same ingredients as the mineral salt blocks from your feed supply store but more expensive, because it has a Monster Buck printed on the label. ;)

riflebuilder
07-03-2011, 08:28 PM
We use corn and alfalpha pellets mostly they will also eat oats. the main thing is to get them started and then keep the feed available so they keep coming back. Salt blocks works for an off season bait as it keeps them coming around. We usually start baiting in mid August for stands we want to hunt in the bow season the ither stands we start in mid september they are ones we usually hunt in late October or November. It is fun to bait them in and see what you have coming into the stand on your trail caomeras. Good Luck.

jeff
07-03-2011, 09:07 PM
i havent heard anybody talk about apples yet i have access to hundreds and hundreds of green apples are they just as good as the oats for attracting them

digger dogger
07-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Apples are the best, but once a bear or bears find them they will always come back to see if they are there again, and eat all of them for you:evil: (minerals are the next best while bears are out)

ques deer
07-04-2011, 06:18 PM
"any where" i can get the mineral brown blocks in the lower main land ?

Foxton Gundogs
07-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Any feed store that sells horse feed theres a place on #10 down by where it crosses 99 probably lots of others as well. Also the Yankees use a product called cum-eer-deer(spell?) not sure if its in canada or how much or where.

RayHill
07-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Just buy the blue ones my honey hole deer love them!
They licked my trail cam blue too!
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff364/raysmailbank/trailcam%20pics%202011/PICT0149.jpg

RayHill
07-04-2011, 07:06 PM
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff364/raysmailbank/trailcam%20pics%202011/PICT0055.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff364/raysmailbank/trailcam%20pics%202011/PICT0322.jpg
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff364/raysmailbank/trailcam%20pics%202011/PICT0322.jpg

RayHill
07-04-2011, 07:08 PM
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff364/raysmailbank/trailcam%20pics%202011/PICT0056.jpg

jeff
07-04-2011, 08:02 PM
sweet nice to see that

huntwriter
07-05-2011, 07:21 PM
i havent heard anybody talk about apples yet i have access to hundreds and hundreds of green apples are they just as good as the oats for attracting them

Apples are great, so is corn and various grains. The downside is that you have to into thew area almost everyday to replenish the bait, otherwise deer will move quickly off once the food is gone. Each time you walk in and out, no matter how careful you're, you will leave human scent behind. Conversely, if you put a mineral salt lick out it will last all year and maybe even become traditional. As I mentioned in an earlier post. I had bait stations that were visited by deer long after I quit to re-bait. The reason the deer kept coming back was because the ground was saturated with mineral salt for many month after I removed the product.

Having said all that, something else to bear in mind, by providing mineral salt you do something good for the deer. Whereas, apples, alfalfa, corn, barley and a few other grains actually are not that healthy for deer if provided in large quantities and over a long period of time.