PDA

View Full Version : elk bugling

bckev
08-24-2006, 12:06 PM
I have started to bugle for elk on my morning hikes. I am not seeing any sign yet (of elk), so far no answers. I am seeing lots of whitetails (and I ave a whitetail doe draw so that bodes well), they spook when I bugle. I am also noticing more bear sign. I haven't seen a bear since spring though. Anyone else doing any preseason calling and getting a response?

BCrams
08-24-2006, 12:30 PM
The big bulls have started rubbing their antlers the last few days from the rubs I have found !! Saw a dozen cow / calf elk 2 nights ago.

Ddog
08-24-2006, 12:45 PM
i have been told by lots of more experienced elk hunters not to call before you hunt for lots of reasons, they have told me everybody and there dog goes out and tries to call an elk way to early and the herd just moves off. therefore i just go out and spot for them, 3 weeks ago we saw a very good herd with several nice bulls one of the big 6 point bulls was almost completely free of his velvet.
i have also herd a few bulls bugling and witnessed 3 talking back and forth.
cheers.......ddog

Fred
08-25-2006, 09:13 AM
Ex and I scouted some on Wednesday and tried the Hoochie Mama lost cow call a bit but were quite spareing with it. It was very dry in that area so we will have to watch the watering holes. Fred

Trapper
08-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Watch two bulls today bugling and chasing cows today,the one bull was one of the biggest i have ever seen,but that was in Jasper park,was up at pink mountain moose hunting and seen some nice elk there also,and a mulie buck that would go into the 200 plus non typical,and 7 grizzlys,and i couldn't even count how many black bears we seen.

bwhnter
08-26-2006, 07:35 AM
Any chance that you would share the location of that mule deer? I was up there this hunting bears and we saw a couple of bucks that we thought might have potential but we haven't been able to get back up there to scout.

bckev
08-27-2006, 09:36 AM
I am bugling in an area I won't be hunting want to see if they are moving yet. I am in the okanagan and it is still really warm. I am seeing lots of whitetails, no turkeys yet.