PDA

View Full Version : whats the best Pack and Frame for hiking?

Ddog
07-03-2011, 09:59 AM
as the title says,, whats the best? whats the ups and downs of the packs all you guys and gals have used?
i am looking for a great durable pack and frame for the upcoming season, i will be going on hikes and with some luck packing out some meat so the pack needs to be strong and durable and able to hold enough gear for a few overnighters in the mountains.
thanks for the help.
cheers.....D

ianwuzhere
07-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I like my Badlands Ox. Frame pack-area to put meat, and their warranty is 2nd to none ;)

Ron.C
07-03-2011, 12:24 PM
I've use a badlands 2200 as my main pack for day hunts for over 7 years, where I'm hunting within a few km of my truck. Awesome pack. I always carry game bags in it so I can dress my game on the spot, and pack out a load on my 2200. I'll then return with my frame pack for remaining meat/antlers etc.

I used this pack on a 7 day canoe trip on the Bowron lakes and also did the West Coast trail with it. It was a squeeze, but I was travelling very light during the early summer months. But it's not alot of use for a goat/sheep hunt where you are packing in for miles over many days and want to get you game out in one shot. Just not anywhere near large enough to manage game and supplies in one shot

I've also used my cableas Alaskan outfitter frame/bag on longer overnight trips. Its bulkier then the larger internal frame packs, but still pretty comfortable when fitted properly. It can definitely handle more then I am capable of carrying

Backcountry archer
07-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I just finished the west coast trail with a borrowed internal frame Gregory palisade 80 liter (4900 ci). I have two good external frame packs that I use for hunting, but I wanted to try an internal frame for the comfort since it was going to be on my back daily for 7 days. (no hunting gear, just hiking)
I am now considering going to a larger 95 liter internal frame for hunting since more volume is needed for packing meat. You just can't beat the comfort of the internal frame and less noise as well.
The only draw back was not enough exterior pockets like you get on most external frames. The palisade, empty wieghed in at just over 6 pounds. (both of my external frames are lighter).

shed-hunter1
07-03-2011, 01:17 PM
badlands ox is a awsome pack i use it to haul out sheds etc and hopefully a big buck this year in the alpine

BromBones
07-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Picked up a Badlands Ox this winter. Great pack - very comfortable and bombproof. Fairly trim/compact as far as an external frame goes, you don't have the issue of sangging the frame when going through thick stuff. Great warranty as well. Good investment in a pack.

Ddog
07-03-2011, 02:13 PM
so far it looks like the pack of choice is the badlands ox, never really realized how many packs there is to choose from and the price range as well. thanks so far people, great input!
SHEEP NEWBEE----> PM sent

Krico
07-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Although it appears you are about to purchase a Badlands Ox pack (which I'm sure is a nice pack) there are lots of other good options out there, if you're still shopping. Barney, Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock, Kifaru, Tatonka, and many others are used by guys on this site. Lots of guys use the Camp Trails frames with Moose Bag, a good basic external frame that won't break the bank.

"Best" is very subjective and only you can determine what meets your own needs best.

Gateholio
07-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Ive used lots of packs and none have been s good as the MYSTERY RANCH

todbartell
07-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Mystery Ranch 6500, it's NICE

shallowH2O
07-03-2011, 04:13 PM
mystery ranch 6500. the cadillac of hunting packs

vip_ruger
07-03-2011, 04:27 PM
acxtera bora internal pack and they come in 80 and 90 thats all i use there great

Ddog
07-03-2011, 06:07 PM
i am just learning about the packs people use, i know there is tons out there and thats why i posted this, i want the input from people that use the packs, i want a pack that i am going to use for a long time, not just once or twice.
every pack that someone suggest i google and print a copy and then compare with the next one, eventually i will make my choice for what is right for me and obviously by the input that everyone else puts in. I have a month before i purchase so i think thats plenty of time to make a semi informed decision..
so far i have not heard anything bad about any packs, there must be some cons of packs, what should i steer clear from?
....D

Everett
07-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Mystery ranch hands down is the best pack on the market but they cost. A crew cab on a Nice Frame is the best set up I have ever used. If you want to look at one and are around Kimberley drop me a PM and you can look at the two we have.

mcrae
07-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Mystery ranch hands down is the best pack on the market but they cost. A crew cab on a Nice Frame is the best set up I have ever used. If you want to look at one and are around Kimberley drop me a PM and you can look at the two we have.

I agree ! I run the same set up and I also use the 6500 bag and its a great set up for me.

hunter7413
07-03-2011, 07:29 PM
wilderness wanderer for me,great pack,great frame and straps.made in kamloops but cost about 7 or 8 bills

lp270win
07-03-2011, 07:31 PM
I've been looking into the badlands sacrifice pack. Does anyone have info on it? I think it would be a great pack for day trips as well as up to 3 days in the backcountry. Its just shy of 3500ci and very light.

rollingrock
07-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Last year I used a 80 L internal frame pack and didn't like it very much. I think I'm too skinny to carry large sized internal frame pack. I just bought an external frame backpack at a good price:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/ALPS_Commander_Freighter_Frame_and_Pack_Bag.jpg

pnbrock
07-03-2011, 08:37 PM
mystery ranch 6500 best pack ive ever used takes a bit to adjust to fit ,afterwords most comfortable pack ever.look on ebay bought mine there saved hundreds.

358mag
07-03-2011, 08:37 PM
X2 dont waste your $$$ on want to be packs' buy the best you wont be sorry
been there done that go in light come out heavy

The Hermit
07-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Have had Badlands 2200 and it sucked for big loads and the zippers always seemed to bind on the corners. Bought a MR Nice with Crew and load carrier... its heavy and I just didn't love it. Just received my new Kuiu Icon 3000 and I think its a winner. It is so light and apparently as strong anything else out there! Will probably buy a 6000 bag for it next year! Expensive but sweet... someone on HBC has on for sale... grab it!!!

boxhitch
07-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Lots of guys use the Camp Trails frames with Moose Bag, a good basic external frame that won't break the bank.

"Best" is very subjective and only you can determine what meets your own needs best.I bought a Camp Trails as a starter pack, thinking I would upgrade when it failed. That was a long time and several meat loads ago.

ytlogger
07-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I still have a Camp Trails that I got in the late 70's. That thing has carried tons of meat and been on lots of backpack trips. The bag, belt and straps more than a little worse for wear and have all been repaired more than once, but the frame is just as good as new. This pack and frame were a HUGE step up from Trapper Nelson, but no comparison to high tech packs of today. That said, my wife had a somewhat newer Camp Trails and it was much lighter in construction and didn't hack it for long.

I also have a Wilderness Wanderer with freighter bag and while the bare pack is considerably heavier, you don't feel it when it is well adjusted and I can carry a lot more, with comfort.

I still use the CT pack if I am carrying a pan and shovel and expect to carry out a few samples, but for hunting I use the WW.

07-04-2011, 11:36 AM
My associate is into ultralight backpacking. For a week, his pack, stove (made from a pepsi can), sleeping bag, foamy, food, water and camera, and cooking stuff weigh about 20 lbs TOTAL. Talk about a great set-up for hiking (not hunting).

todbartell
07-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I've been looking into the badlands sacrifice pack. Does anyone have info on it? I think it would be a great pack for day trips as well as up to 3 days in the backcountry. Its just shy of 3500ci and very light.

I have a Sacrafice and really like it. Super light weight when empty. I've put 25 lbs in it and it carries it very well. Might be a bit small in capacity for 3 days and bringing meat/cape out in one shot

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/252548_10150202748642992_512917991_7133630_5376653 _n.jpg

Ddog
07-05-2011, 08:10 PM
thanks for all the input guys.!!

gameslayer
07-12-2011, 10:46 PM
So what is the name of your Pack Rollingrock ? what kind of cake did it go for. Looks decent ?

Backcountry archer
07-20-2011, 11:11 PM
/http://kuiu.wordpress.com/2011/02/01/icon-6000-review/ (http://kuiu.wordpress.com/2011/02/01/icon-6000-review/)

Check out this new pack the Kuiu 6000

Weatherby Fan
07-21-2011, 12:27 AM
I used a Camp Trails Frame and Moose Bag for 20 years,and that baby was thrashed,about 3 yrs ago I bought a Cabelas Alaskan 2 frame and bag and it's very comfortable and can pack more than I can handle,has lots of pockets and a rifle sling,
I just got a Mystery Ranch Nice frame,load sling and a 5500 MR Wolf bag and it's also very comfortable,just tried about 30lbs in it around the house and so far so good.
I would like to get the MR 7500 bag next.
Watch ebay and craigslist as there deals on there all the time once you make your mind up.