PDA

View Full Version : Dissolving mineral blocks

Coming_out_heavy.
07-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Do any of you fellas know how long it takes for a mineral block to dissolve out in the open? Also, if the block were laying in standing water, would it dissolve quickly or still somewhat slowly? Is there a differance in dissolve time between blue and red salt blocks? Thanks.

yukon john
07-02-2011, 10:19 PM
the different colors are just different minerals added, order some "deer kane" from cabelas the powder form is the best, honestly you will get way more activity out of 1 six pound bag of that than a 50 pound salt block. I have tried, all the colors of salt block as well as different mineral licks alongside each other for BT, WT and mulies, the white deer kane powder is amazing and 1 bag will keep deer coming back for 3+ years

houndsman
07-03-2011, 07:19 AM
I put out a blue salt & red mineral block in diferent spots in erly spring with trail cams on them ,that way i get picks of most of the bucks & bulls .Thay stay on them untill thay shed there velvit ,then thay hardly use them atall . Then when Im sure the bears have gone to bed I put out bait & hunt the buck I think is the best .I find that this is the best way to kill big white tail .The blocks take over a year to dissolve .I have just started to use grims monster mix but dont know if it is eney better then the blocks. I have herd that the deer kane is good & im going try some when i find some .I was up at my property last week & have about 10 to 12 bull elk & bunch wt bucks on the blocks every day.

boxhitch
07-03-2011, 07:47 AM
The more moisture the faster they dissolve. A block high and dry off the ground will still get washed with rain.
What minerals are you looking to add ? block colors differ for different minerals , Yellow have the SULPHUR ;)
Building a lick ? Ground that holds water will hold the salt better.

.300WSMImpact!
07-03-2011, 04:17 PM
what do you guys think of water softener salt?

Moose Guide
07-03-2011, 04:34 PM
what do you guys think of water softener salt?

Elk and deer prefer it over cobalt(blue), Iodized(red) or trace mineral with selenium(brown) blocks

Darksith
07-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I put out a blue salt & red mineral block in diferent spots in erly spring with trail cams on them ,that way i get picks of most of the bucks & bulls .Thay stay on them untill thay shed there velvit ,then thay hardly use them atall . Then when Im sure the bears have gone to bed I put out bait & hunt the buck I think is the best .I find that this is the best way to kill big white tail .The blocks take over a year to dissolve .I have just started to use grims monster mix but dont know if it is eney better then the blocks. I have herd that the deer kane is good & im going try some when i find some .I was up at my property last week & have about 10 to 12 bull elk & bunch wt bucks on the blocks every day.

Umm...how bout sharing some of those trail cam pics? Im drooling already thinking about them.

BlacktailStalker
07-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Was thinking the same thing, love to see some pics if you didn't mind Houndsman.

TheProvider
07-03-2011, 07:49 PM
6.5lb bag of deer cane from cabelas.com

Coming_out_heavy.
07-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Selenium block dropped in a tractor rut with 10 inches of water in it. How long until that water dissolves the mineral block do ya think?

jeff
07-03-2011, 09:16 PM
i would think a couple months maybe depending on how warm it is