PDA

View Full Version : Broadhead tests

limit time
07-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Hear are some broad-head tests. I thought were pretty good, The G5 T3, is the head I'm using for deer this year.
There are three vids, the second vid is the test. (sorry don't know how to embed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4IrhCFSGQw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwqekkGFLYM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opOy5KMe2jE

Bow Walker
07-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

gunnie2008
07-15-2011, 03:02 AM
have 2 new packs of G5 T3 and Practice head's
itching to try out the G5 T3's
thanks. limit time

Bowzone_Mikey
07-15-2011, 07:25 PM
i got the T3 heads on the end of my arrows this year

ydouask
07-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Holy Moley... interesting and valuable info. I may have to re-evaluate my broadhead selection !

Bow Walker
07-16-2011, 08:27 AM
As always, I'm going with my Slick Tricks and/or Muzzy MX-3's.

Big Lew
07-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Watched this on Archerytalk a short while ago....very interesting. I switched to meatseekers awhile ago, and they've proven to work very well. The one difference I've experienced from his testing, and the two animals I shot with them, was the initial blades expanding, which in my case opened on impact, leaving a good blood trail right away. The first generation heads were not as sharp as most liked, but the second, up-graded ones are sharper. I particularly like their good penetration and ability to function properly, unlike traditional mechanicals, on quartering away shots.

Bow Walker
07-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Thinking about mechs.......their reliability has improved over the years. The early Spitfires that I started out with in '98 have changed a lot in the years.

The addition of cut-on-contact-tips to the heads of mechanicals have greatly decreased the unreliability of the heads when shooting at quartering (or sharper) angles. :cool:

Rearward opening heads, tougher blades and sharper heads overall have elevated mechanical broadheads out of the mire. Why, I'd almost consider using them again - if I had no other choice!:wink:

The Hermit
07-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Something that occurs to me is that the larger 3 blade diameter broadheads appeared to cause a lot more damage to the boards which is good but I know from pulling errant shots from a plywood backstop that wood splinters tend to "grab" the arrow causing more friction. I'm not sure that flesh and bone would be like that and penetration might not be affected as much in the real world. I'm thinking of contacting him to see if he can do the same test with the new Canadian made PX2 Broadheads from Jason Peterson of Hunting Canada and Beyond (Wild TV)

http://www.members.shaw.ca/btozer/PX2Dark.jpg

Bowzone_Mikey
07-16-2011, 09:30 AM
I have never had a problem with the mechs I have shot over the last 10 years ....

now that all said .... I am not a big fan of these tests ... simply because I dont know about you all but I dont typically hunt hardboard .... it takes alot of marinating to make it palletable.

the best test to bust through bone etc ... shoot a 1/2 coconut into a watermelon and out the other half of the coconut ... the coconut is as close to bone as you can get without actually using bones ... watermelon is pretty close to internals

Sideofabarn
07-16-2011, 10:12 AM
I played around with a few different broadheads over the past few years, and I'm still not sold on a particular style. I had to disregard the G5 Tekans as the blades did not deploy, although my target was kinda minced up through a lot of shooting. If I manage to get out this year, I'm going with the Muzzy MX 3s or slick tricks (despite a mishap for a couple of seasons ago) for fixed blade, but for mechanicals, I still have a few to try. I'll also take a look at the meat seekers.

greybark
07-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Hey Big Lew , Reference the " quartering away " shot is there a chance of one blade contacting a rib and cartwheeling the arrow or the shaft breaking at the end of the adapter ? Am curious and are you going to the SF&G 3-d this Sunday ?
Cheer

limit time
07-20-2011, 08:44 PM
have 2 new packs of G5 T3 and Practice head's
itching to try out the G5 T3's
thanks. limit time

I've been shooting these for a few weeks now, and I love them! No fail to open yet and the rear deploy is the way to go, the spider clips a pretty reliable with a tweak here and there and they DO fly like a field point!

limit time
07-20-2011, 08:50 PM
I have never had a problem with the mechs I have shot over the last 10 years ....

now that all said .... I am not a big fan of these tests ... simply because I dont know about you all but I dont typically hunt hardboard .... it takes alot of marinating to make it palletable.

the best test to bust through bone etc ... shoot a 1/2 coconut into a watermelon and out the other half of the coconut ... the coconut is as close to bone as you can get without actually using bones ... watermelon is pretty close to internals

I was thinking...an intact rib section ( both sides still on spine)of beef with hair minus guts and filled with ballistics gel..?? The wife's family owns a butcher shop....

Big Lew
07-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Hey Big Lew , Reference the " quartering away " shot is there a chance of one blade contacting a rib and cartwheeling the arrow or the shaft breaking at the end of the adapter ? Am curious and are you going to the SF&G 3-d this Sunday ?
Cheer

Far less chance, as like the rage, the point is already entering before the rear deploying blades swing forward. And, no, I'm committed for the next while painting and renovating my house before hunting season. (Just hope I have enough practice time in the early mornings with my new bow before Sept. first.)

Bow Walker
07-21-2011, 10:15 AM
I was thinking...an intact rib section ( both sides still on spine)of beef with hair minus guts and filled with ballistics gel..?? The wife's family owns a butcher shop....
Why not just get a couple of shoulder blades? Space them about 18" apart and fill that space with old rags. That would simulate an animal's chest cavity almost like it was real. Just don't hit where the shoulder blade ridge is.....

limit time
07-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Why not just get a couple of shoulder blades? Space them about 18" apart and fill that space with old rags. That would simulate an animal's chest cavity almost like it was real. Just don't hit where the shoulder blade ridge is.....

With the bigger area you could take a bunch of shots and quartering shots.

treestandjunky
07-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Not sure if folks are familiar with Broadheadtalk.com but I have found it to be the most complete source of info in all things related to broadhead performance. There is certainly much more to consider in how 'deadly' your set up will be other than which head you decide to shoot.

pse&remington
07-27-2011, 12:41 PM
here is a test for g5.

T3 vs Montec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A8Yb0l-2cDY

Im going to stick with my Montec's