PDA

View Full Version : Mid Oct Coastal Goats...Wool or Synthetic

lnelson
07-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Wool or Synthetic? Obviously the synthetic is lighter but with the chance of non stop rain or snow wool has some definate advantages.

gerrygoat
07-02-2011, 06:53 PM
I have used both, synthetic you have a chance to dry it out if you are out for multi day trips but for day trips in late fall or winter I use the wool and dry it out at home. On late fall trips you almost need a change of clothing per day to keep comfortable or use something like DriWear next to your skin. It will be intresting to see what other guys do.

Pioneerman
07-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Wood has advantages over Synthetic in bad weather ? What would that be ? I did not think that synthetic could ever be bothered by moisture ? I did not think that water could even penetrate into synthetic or be warped or cracked due to weather. I am interested to see the advantages, other than how good nice would can look.

lnelson
07-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Wool will keep you warm even when its wet, synthetics are going to be cold when wet. As more info it will be a 7 day back pack hunt.

BromBones
07-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Wood has advantages over Synthetic in bad weather ? What would that be ? I did not think that synthetic could ever be bothered by moisture ? I did not think that water could even penetrate into synthetic or be warped or cracked due to weather. I am interested to see the advantages, other than how good nice would can look.

The topic is about clothing, not rifle stocks.

WOOL....

BlacktailStalker
07-02-2011, 08:00 PM
If you are talking under/mid layers, wool (merino) hands down.

TyTy
07-02-2011, 08:28 PM
My vote is for merino wool.

Bailed into a puddle @ the begining of a hunt (early december)
Got soaked, wool layers kept me warm.

I wear a fleece outer layer,

BromBones
07-02-2011, 08:39 PM
I like my smartwool base layer, a wool stanfield shirt, and a mid-weight fleece jacket. Keeps me pretty warm in cold temps if I pile on all three. I also like my lightweight fleece shirt for a base layer - warm and very easy to dry. Usually carry it along with my smartwool - nice to have a dry shirt to put on for cold nights.

Pioneerman
07-02-2011, 09:35 PM
At least I can laugh at myself lol. I haven't got time to read the whole words lol

ThinAir
07-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Start with merino wool and layer up accordingly. The stuff is unbelievable IMHO

buford19
07-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Use both , I start with synthentic on way up, where I will sweat the most. Then switch to merino wool base layer when on top of the mountain. They are alot warmer.

bigwhiteys
07-02-2011, 11:40 PM
I would also suggest Merino wool... Along with a primaloft or down vest/jacket for your insulating layer and a solid outer layer to keep out the elements.

Carl

boxhitch
07-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Wool will keep you warm even when its wet, synthetics are going to be cold when wet. As more info it will be a 7 day back pack hunt.From experience ?
Synthetics are known for being warm when wet also, when comparing similar weight fabrics.
advancements in newer synthetic fabrics have moved them leaps ahead of wool IMO
Tighter weave, wind block layers, higher loft with lighter weight, all good stuff. Just wish they wouldn't melt so damned easy. If you will be having to dry your clothes out around an open fire, go with the wool.
And like Carl says a solid outer layer for the harsh days.

??? If layering is so friggin important, which it is, why does underwear always look and function like underwear ?
The worst pitfall of hikers is not shedding layers at the right time because it isn't easy. Pants don't have correct leg zips or don't come off with boots on, and under layers have no pockets and look ghey. WTF ???

islandarcher
07-05-2011, 09:30 PM
I love my Icebreaker merino. Haven't bought synthetic in years, die hard wool fan.