PDA

View Full Version : Mtn Goat recipes

Magnumb
07-01-2011, 05:20 PM
The slow cooker sounds like the method of choice for mtn goats but I was curious to here if anyone has any recipes that can help to create a variety of dishes.(curry, garlic, rubs etc..)
Also, How long do most hang their goat for? Is there other ways to tenderize?

goatdancer
07-01-2011, 09:46 PM
We did mine with Greek souvlaki spices, done on skewers. Turned out great.

Krico
07-01-2011, 11:37 PM
I had curry goat a few weeks ago-was pretty good. Though I will admit I much prefer curry chicken.

Nekhani
07-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Goat Stew and Goat Burger is great. Actually is nice meat and has a very good taste to it. Chances are you have worked hard for it, given where they live.

With regards to using it where tender meat is required, good luck.

If you are using an mature Billy chances are it will be tough, no way around it. Grind it up, stew it or marinate it and it will likely improve it.

I hung a nice mature billy for a week one time to age it and cut it up and was looking forward to some prime cuts of Goat. Slow cooked the tenderloin roast all afternoon... Invited some friends over for dinner and it was quite a laugh because it was so tough it was like bubblegum and you could hardly swallow it. It pretty near squeaked when I was cutting up the roast.. It was an older billy and obviously they are not noted for their tenderness..

Magnumb
07-02-2011, 11:03 AM
So hanging it is a bit of a waste of time? Debone it on the hill?

gerrygoat
07-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I usually debone it before coming down. A couple years ago I hung some for 3 weeks in the second half of November, it certainly didn't harm anything. I would do it again if the weather cooperated. We pressure canned the really tough sections of the lower legs, neck etc into cube size pieces that sure tenderizes it. For roasts in the slow cooker there are lots of great recipes on line using other kinds of meat it would be easy to sustitute goat instead. The recipe we have basically done for years is salt, pepper, onions, tomatoes and enough water to cover things along with a small amount of flour to make a light gravy. You could easily add other spices, garlic and even experiment with red wine.

buck nash
07-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Pressure canning will tenderize anything! It's also a good way to free up some freezer space.

I like to brown 3/4" cubes with some onions, cook the meat briefly over a high heat so you brown it but leave it rare in the centre.
then put it in pint jars with a pinch of salt and half a teaspoon of white minute rice (thickener) per jar
fill to 1.25 " from the top of the jar with water or beef broth and process for 75 min in the pressure canner

This recipe works for any tough cut of meat and comes out perfect for dumping into a stew or just eating it out of the jar at your camp. I`ve never tried it with wild goat but it seems like a good candidate and I know domestic goat turns out nicley this way.

Be sure to read up on canning proceedures for meat as they require correct processing time,strict adherance to proceedures and a pressure canner in order to can safely. There`s hundred of sites with good info. It's not rocket science but mistakes can cause serious illness. Anyone who has canned salmon will be able to do this as the proceedure is basically the same.

I`ve often thought this could be done in your camp and save you worrying about keeping meat cool for a long trip home or for when you shoot an animal on the first day of your hunt but your partner`s still hunting.