PDA

View Full Version : planning my sons first youth hunt

sarg
06-30-2011, 10:56 PM
so i'm pretty stoked about planning this hunt. my son turn 10 in july and would like to try his luck on a buck, he ask me if we could get a mount done if we are lucky enough to get a buck and he told me horn size doesnt matter even if it had little spike he would like it done and i told him i would be pround to do that for is first buck.
i was think about reg8(princeton area) sept 10 week so grouse would be open to for the both of us to shot.:-D(open to other place to) i was talking to my hunting partner about it and he got just as excited as i did, i was just planning for the two of us to go but how excited my hunting partner got about it i cant say no to him and i would be glad for him to join us, and when is daughter become of age i hope i'll get the same invite from him:-D
so is any one else plan a first youth hunt this year or just a youth hunt?well good luck to all the youth this year:-D

untilthelastbeat
06-30-2011, 11:10 PM
nice work :) wish i could remember my first hunt with my dad but i was too young. those are the best times of a kids life. sounds like your son has a great hunting attitude. its not about the size of the animal, its all about the hunt and who you are with. good luck to the both of you and i hope your boy downs a cranker.

Shooter
06-30-2011, 11:12 PM
My boy is getting older and older every year but it is still exciting every time he is successful. He is a great hunting partner. I also got his first buck mounted however it was a euro mount and I think it turned out awesome. It was just a 2 point but it was HIS 2 point. Youth hunts are great, enjoy it. He will. :)

Glassman
06-30-2011, 11:13 PM
First youth hunt is special. I also took a close friend with us and we went to his honey hole and got a 2 point muley.

M.Dean
07-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Good for you! Your Son will be talking about this hunt for the rest of his life! I took my Grand Son out for his first Deer a few years ago, he shoots a 243 Savage, I put a BiPod on it and it really helps the Kids get off a steady shot. I took Kato out quite a few times shooting the Rifle, what I did also was every time he came up here, I'd get him to go grab the Gun, then with a empty Magazine I'd get him to practice getting the Mag in quickly and quietly, set the BiPod up and finding his target in the scope, it really paid off! And what I also did with him was every time we got back from shooting, I had him take the Rifle apart and clean it good, I think it gets the young guys to feel more comfortable with the Firearm. Good Luck,take a good Camera and you'll be more excited when your Son shoots a Buck than if you shot a 200 Class B&C Buck your self!

barry6.5x55
07-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Sarg

Take a 22 and boxes of shells and some cans for him to shoot at from time to time,, I took mine out last year
and found he got bored of serious deer hunting all day so we stopped from time to time and he fired off
1/2 a box or so, they love to shoot . I thought so what if it scares deer at he least he was having fun.
My question is why dont they let these kids ( youth) take a doe in that season he had lots of does within
range and from what I saw there were not a lot of other youth /dad hunters out there so I dont think the
population would be to impacted and the the kids would have something to tell there buddies.

fearnodeer
07-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Well Sarge i might see ya up there, my buddies sons both got thier core this year and the 15 year old got a bison draw so we are planning on the youth hunt in tullameen to get him some experiance. I am very furtunate to know a few people that live there and for some reason i've never hunted there, so a good friends of mines father in-law will do 1-2 weeks of scouting before we show up so it should turn out to be a great trip.

sarg
07-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Sarg

Take a 22 and boxes of shells and some cans for him to shoot at from time to time,, I took mine out last year
and found he got bored of serious deer hunting all day so we stopped from time to time and he fired off
1/2 a box or so, they love to shoot . I thought so what if it scares deer at he least he was having fun.
My question is why dont they let these kids ( youth) take a doe in that season he had lots of does within
range and from what I saw there were not a lot of other youth /dad hunters out there so I dont think the
population would be to impacted and the the kids would have something to tell there buddies.
thats a good idea about the 22,i'm a little worried about him getting board mid day and i'm trying to think of some stuff to keep him busy, i know if there a creek or river around he will piss around with the gold pan to kill time other then that i hope i can keep his interest in something :)

stoneguide
07-01-2011, 10:59 AM
My son turns 12(legal age in Alberta) this year but not until Dec. 7. The only seasons he will relly be able to hunt are LEH so his odds of getting a tag are pretty slim. There are a few whitetail seasons open in southern Alberta but I doubt we will head down there.
The only over the counter tag we can get at home for him that time of the year is cougar and as luck would have it a good friend that I started hunting with last winter said that we should be able to go out with him and his dogs and get my son a cat. So hopefully that all works out as it would be pretty awesome to see him shoot a cougar for his first big game animal.

He has been Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear and Sheep hunting already but this will be his first year being able to carry the gun so hope we can get him out, if not next year will be great. He has been shooting my .280AI and I feel pretty bad for any animal that he points it at!

SG

Moose Guide
07-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Alberta needs to drop the age to 10 like B.C. My boys both took their first buck on my 8 acres, this year we try for moose and elk.

BCHunterTV
07-01-2011, 08:43 PM
good luck Dave with your son, if i were you i'd hunt Region 3. Lots of lil bucks running around September

Region 8 is 4 point in Sept 10 for mulies...Whitetails are any buck....if your stuck on going to region 8 go sooner

sarg
07-01-2011, 09:12 PM
defiantly not set on region 8, just looking throw the regs and any buck for youth is all of sept and grouse opens on the 10, so it will give him a change to shot some grouse and same with me:), and i'm one of the few that can't seem to find deer in region 3, but if u have some tips i'm all ears:) i just mite have to meet up with u guys danny:)

250 sav
07-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Fall of 2008 watched my son take his first buck. The memories of that hunt are a definate keeper. Good luck.

3kills
07-01-2011, 10:18 PM
i am bookin 4 days off in the beginin of sept to take my daughter out for her first hunting season. hopin to take out in the four days we will hunt region 3 first then that way she has all of sept to hunt 8

Steeleco
07-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Sarg, I've done the youth hunt for a few years now. Both my kids have taken advantage of the youth season. Hell last year they both got deer over the long weekend. A friendly suggestion is to get the young lad some range time, the confidence will go along way when the nerves kick in. As for getting out there, go over the Sept long weekend. Trust me! The deer seem more at ease, the kids can take a little more time and dad can still hunt bears if he feels so inclined.

I've always been ready for a back up shot, thankfully it's never been needed. I know it's a gray area, but I'd not feel too good having an animal walk on a shot taken by a young hunter. It's not a great feeling even as an adult and it may just end a young person hunting carrier.

swampthing
07-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Its geat to see him start his hunting carreer. My son is 15 this year and we are doing our first backpack hunt this year. I look forward to when he starts taking me hunting.

Moose Guide
07-02-2011, 06:30 PM
It is sure good to see so many hunters taking their kids hunting!!!

ItsGrouseTalk
07-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Im 13... I thought the youth season was September 1st - 10th? Anyways im going for days during the youth season for a buck in Princeton so hopefully we will see you out. Good luck!

300H&H
07-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Sarg

You gave some good advice Barry.
When my girls were young and wanted to go hunting I always took my 22.
Kids can get board fast and then its no fun for them.
2 Boxes of 22 shells...some pop cans...and licorice and we were set for the morning.
Eventually my wife found out about the licorice so I had to bring something more....pop and granola bars !
ahhhh....I do love those hunts with the kids.

sarg
07-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Im 13... I thought the youth season was September 1st - 10th? Anyways im going for days during the youth season for a buck in Princeton so hopefully we will see you out. Good luck!
in region8 youth hunting deer is from sept1-sept30 and again nov 1-nov 10 everwhere else is from sept 1-9.

blacktailhunter9999
07-03-2011, 11:49 PM
!!!!@!!! Im 16 years old and the second i saw this message i Am Jumping on it. I have been doing the Princeton Youth season every year and have gotten a buck within the fist 4 hours on day 1 each year!! Last year i brang my bow and snuck up and arrowed a little 2 pointer! we saw a buck that was 200+ but was way to far to get it was standing with 20 does so there is a huge possibility of getting a monster rack as well Unfortunatly for your grouse hunting wish the best time to go is in the rut which is right around Nov 10th every year i go for 2 days from the 8th till the 10th ive never had to stay a night the hunting is so amazing there is deer everywhere PLEASE email me i am probably just as excited as u are for ths hunt for you! I will give you directions on exactly what road to drive down. Its probably the best possible chance of your son to shoot a buck is then at nov 7-10th I still remember every moment of my first princeton hunt. I still remember them all!!!!!!!!!!

BigfishCanada
07-04-2011, 09:09 AM
I take my kids to my cabins Sept 1, I like how the bush isnt loaded with road hunters. The only trouble is that it can be hiot or miss depending on weather. One year is was 33 degrees and we barely saw any movement, other year it was cold and we saw deer everywhere. The good thing about my place is you can go back to the cabin for lunch and catch a trophy trout!

Check out my cabins http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/British-Columbia-Canada-lakefront-Cabins-near-Kamloops/145712506522

www.bclakefronts.com

If anyone in the lower mainland wants to get there kids in the hunting course this summer let me know I have 2 kids that need to take
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/www.chriscade.ca/chace2.JPG

M.Dean
07-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Should be lots of Bucks around Red Lake Sept 1st BigfishCanada, I find when it's going to be hot during the day, it's best to hunt at the crack of dawn and the last hour or so of daylight. But you know that Chris, every time I went up here Hunting real early to beat the other hunters, you were all ready there and had 2 coffee's down before I even got there!!! If your up this way Chris with the boy's doing a bit of hunting, the coffee's always on here, you know that! And yes, for the Youth Hunt I think the Sept 1st opening is a great idea, it gives the Kids a fighting chance to get a Buck, there's lots of 2,3's, and the odd four point that still don't mind a person driving up on them, so get the kids out doing some shooting and get them use to the Rifle of choice and I really hope all the young hunters have a great season!!! Also, if you guys going out for the early Buck season, check in your area and see if you can find someone with a cooler that cut's wild game, it's a lot nicer to have a plan before your driving around town with a Buck under a tarp in 30 plus degree heat trying to find a place that'll take it!

sarg
07-04-2011, 07:53 PM
i think i'am got to head up to red lake with my son the sept 1 week and the head to princeton for nov with him.

champs
07-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Ya to the youth hunts! My 11 year old son is pumped. Going to purchase his 243 this week and get to the range. Last season he was able to take an Axis deer doe in Texas - quite a treat. This year he was able to score a bull moose authorization and hopefully will be able to have some success between that, a deer, or a bear. Heck I don't care and neither does he! Anything will be a great experience and just being out there together will be a treat!

sarg
07-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Ya to the youth hunts! Anything will be a great experience and just being out there together will be a treat!
and thats what i'm looking forward to the most. :)

07-06-2011, 11:55 AM
!!!!@!!! Im 16 years old and the second i saw this message i Am Jumping on it. I have been doing the Princeton Youth season every year and have gotten a buck within the fist 4 hours on day 1 each year!! Last year i brang my bow and snuck up and arrowed a little 2 pointer! we saw a buck that was 200+ but was way to far to get it was standing with 20 does so there is a huge possibility of getting a monster rack as well Unfortunatly for your grouse hunting wish the best time to go is in the rut which is right around Nov 10th every year i go for 2 days from the 8th till the 10th ive never had to stay a night the hunting is so amazing there is deer everywhere PLEASE email me i am probably just as excited as u are for ths hunt for you! I will give you directions on exactly what road to drive down. Its probably the best possible chance of your son to shoot a buck is then at nov 7-10th I still remember every moment of my first princeton hunt. I still remember them all!!!!!!!!!!

Love this post! I think this is the end product of what Hunters are trying to do for thier kids through the youth seasons!

pg83
07-06-2011, 04:51 PM
This has been a great thread to read through. Brings back memories of my first deer(a 4 point Muley to boot!) with my dad in the alpine on opening day. It also gets me excited to take my son out(he's only 1 so I have to wait a few years...). I wish you all the best of luck with your children come hunting season!