PDA

View Full Version : More 7-42 Questions

Darksith
06-30-2011, 09:32 PM
I have a few more questions about the area I plan to head into this fall. There are lots of guys here who helped me out considerably, and I appreciate all the tips and advice. That being said here we go :)

About 6km north of bucking horse river there is a road that heads west off the highway. I assume this is a gas service road? Is it realistic to head down this road to the end and setup a wall tent? Is there gas plants at the ends of these roads? Any other info about them, deactivations, no trespassing etc etc?

Is the terrain here very muskeg, or are quads able to traverse some of the seismic lines as long as you do not enter the off limit to motorized vehicle areas?

I assume this area will have a few other hunters around, no big deal, we will hunt off the roads, hiking and calling looking for elk. The most likely places to find them would be the creeks and rivers?

This area is north of the trail heads into redfern correct?

Am I crazy to plan a hunt into this area lol...well too bad for me then I guess.

bcmulie
06-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Hey Darksith,

I spent about 3 weeks in the Nevis Creek/Buckinghorse River area about a decade ago. I'm sure there's a few things that have changed, but I imagine a lot of it is still pretty much the same. Not sure what type of hunt you are planning as I haven't seen your earlier posts, but if you were planning to quad in a ways I could give you some info. When I hunted the area I followed the trail in towards Redfern Lake as far as the outfitters camp (used to be Kim and Kathy Donnelly, but I don't think they're there anymore), and then hunted on foot from there. The road to the trailhead did start a couple km north of the Buckinghorse River crossing, if I recall correctly, so that may be the area you are planning to go. Some beautiful country, and a nice mix of animals. More moose than elk there, also a few sheep (although more of them north up towards the Besa.

The quad trail in towards Redfern can be pretty mucky, but not an issue if you have a 4wd quad (first year I went in there with my dad we had 1 2wd quad between the two of us, and came out with a caribou, our gear and the two of us on it - the most stuck I've ever been on an ATV!). I haven't travelled any of the seismic lines, so can't tell you anything about those.

I've only ever been in the area in August, and pretty much all of the elk I saw then were up higher. The bulls in particular were up in the alpine. By September they may be down a bit lower - there's probably other guys on here who could give you better info than I can.

There tends to be lots of guys in there. The trailhead to Redfern looks like a parking lot, although it does lead to a # of different areas, so the hunters tend to be spread out.

You're definitely not crazy to head into this country. I was planning to go up there again this year until I drew a couple LEH permits. Good luck with your hunt!

bcmulie

swampthing
07-01-2011, 08:45 AM
I believe the road you are talking about is one that will take you to a seizmic line that runs to the base of the mountain you were inquiring about in an earlier post. Any of that country will be good hunting. There is lots of hunters but there is also lots of country. When I am camped near other hunters I try to do a quick visit at night. Discuss hunting plans and its usually pretty easy to avoid each other.