PDA

View Full Version : volenteer help......stream fertilization

jetboat jim
06-30-2011, 08:36 PM
mods please move if I posted in the wrong spot.....thanks.

anyone interested in helping out can contact me either PM or, jandre@telus.net

Hello everyone,

You are being contacted today because you have either have in the past, continue to be, or have expressed interest in volunteering on fisheries projects. The BC Conservation Foundation is looking for individuals who are able to assist with stream enrichment application on our local flows over the next few weeks. I am sending this email out to request volunteers to assist with the bagging and application of fertilizer in several Fraser Valley/Lower Mainland streams including the Coquihalla, Silverhope, Foley, Centre, and Statlu systems. Last year we had great participation by local angling and stewardship groups and we would like to further the participation this year. If you have a spare day and would like to be a part of a project that helps to improve the fish stocks of these local watersheds, please join us.

I have attached a backgrounder document that provides further details of the project, including project rationale, timeline and tentative dates, while providing some photos and results from the 2009 project. In summary, we are looking for assistance to carry bags of fertilizer from the truck to the river and in placing them in the desired location within the stream.

Volunteer Opportunities

Bagging fertilizer
The Crystal Green® fertilizer is shipped in 1000kg bulk bags and needs to be portioned into burlap bags weighing 10kg. The work is fairly light with no special equipment or abilities needed. This activity takes place at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery in Abbotsford. Carpooling from the Surrey/Cloverdale area to Abbotsford and back is available. This will of course depend on the availability of volunteers, but it is anticipated that this work will occur during the week of July 4th to 8th.

Fertilizer Application
Since the peak of the freshet was late this year, it is also subsiding later and fertilizer application has been pushed back from the typical timing by up to 2 weeks in some systems. The majority of this work will require waders, wading boots and the ability to wade into shallow water while carrying a 10 kg burlap bag of fertilizer. Not everyone has to wear waders as some individuals can simply carry the burlap bags from the truck to the river’s edge where those with waders can position them. Carpooling from the Surrey/Cloverdale area to Abbotsford and back is available. Current plans to apply the fertilizer are as follows but subject to the response and availability of volunteers:

Coquihalla River and Silverhope Creek
· Either Saturday, July 9th or Sunday, July 10th

Statlu Creek (tributary to the Chehalis River)
· Either Saturday, July 9th or Sunday, July 10th

Center Creek and Foley Creek (tributaries to the Chilliwack River)
· One day during the week of July 4th to 8th

Since 2008, volunteer involvement in this valuable project has continued to increase annually and we hope that this year is no different. Typically the help is focused on the application of the fertilizer in to the rivers; however, there exists a need for assistance with the bagging of the fertilizer before the application can occur.

If you are willing to help with the bagging or the application, please contact me directly. Feel free to pass this email along to others who may be interested. If this is not good timing for you, but you would still like to be involved in volunteering, there will be opportunities in the fall (late September) to assist with fish sampling.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

Sincerely,

Dave

Dave Harper, B.Tech., Adv. Dip. Tech.
BC Conservation Foundation
Greater Georgia Basin Steelhead Recovery Plan
www.bccf.com/fisheries (http://www.bccf.com/fisheries)
www.livingrivers.ca (http://www.livingrivers.ca/)
www.steelheadrecoveryplan.ca (http://www.steelheadrecoveryplan.ca/)

NaStY
06-30-2011, 09:33 PM
I will leave it here for at least a week or so................

Better opportunity for viewing..............

jetboat jim
07-04-2011, 08:34 PM
so for those interested........just spoke with Dave and.....

sat will be statlu creek , chehalis trib.....meet at the sasquatch inn , I'll post a time.

sunday will be the coq/silver hope......prolly meet at the othello/kakawa exit.....again I'll post a time

I will be there sunday for sure, not sure if I can swing the sat at the statlu yet.

will be leaving new west some time early for the coq/ and pick up fert.....any one needs a ride I may have room for a few.

tons of fun and will most likely be done by 1-2 pm
no need to spend all day even a few hours helps out.

DWH
07-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Hello Everyone,

Further to Jim's comments above, here are the dates and times:

July 6 - Fertilize Foley Creek and Centre Creek (tributaries to the Chilliwack River)
Meet at the On The Way Store at 10:30am. I anticipate that volunteers would be back to the store by around 2:30pm. I can provide some people with transportation from the Surrey, Langley, Abbotsford and Chilliwack areas but my day starts earlier and ends later than the times listed above.

July 9 - Fertilize Statlu Creek (tributary to the Chehalis River)
Meet at the Sasquatch Inn at 10:30. I anticipate that volunteers would be back to the Inn around 1:30pm. I can provide some people with transportation from the Surrey, Langley, Abbotsford and Mission areas but my day starts earlier and ends later than the times listed above.

July 10 - Fertilize Coquihalla River and Silverhope Creek
Meet at the Othello Tunnels exit (first exit off the Coquihalla Highway after leaving Hope) at 11:00am, lunch in Hope at 1:30pm, fertilize Silverhope Creek, leave Hope around 4:30pm. I can provide some people with transportation from the Surrey, Langley, Abbotsford, Chilliwack and Hope areas but my day starts earlier than the times listed above.

If you have any questions or need more information, please contact me at dharper@bccf.com .

I look forward to meeting you on the river and thanks to those individuals who are going to be part of a great project this year.

Sincerely,

Dave Harper
BC Conservation Foundation

Steeleco
07-05-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm in for Sunday. Do those of you in the know, know if we need waders or anything of the sort?

jetboat jim
07-05-2011, 08:37 PM
if you have waders you can bring them .....if not I'll bring a few extra pairs.
some of the work does not involve getting wet.

Old Crow
07-07-2011, 08:04 AM
if you have waders you can bring them .....if not I'll bring a few extra pairs.
some of the work does not involve getting wet.

Stained pink ith procure?? Pinks Steelco's color