PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife rehab in Fort Nelson/ North Peace Region? Potential orphaned killdeer chicks

H Wally
06-29-2011, 10:49 PM
We had a nest of killdeer eggs get abandoned (was accidentally damaged and moved - long story) so now they're under a heat lamp. They're showing every sign of being able to successfully hatch in a week or two, but I'm concerned because A) I can't possess them legally, being wild animals, B) because I don't have a darn clue about looking after small birds and C) because I may get called away for work and be unable to look after them.

Does anyone know of a wildlife group, birding association or other person that might be able to better look after the chicks if they hatch, or even have a proper incubator for them?

I know they're just little ground bird (eggs), but if I have a chance of getting them to survive and be released into the wild I'll give it my best shot.

**** As background, they're in a bowl with some cloth, under a lamp that warms them to be just barely warm to the touch... basically skin temperature. They'll be turned 3 times/day for 2 more weeks, since they've been in the nest for 2 weeks or so, so far, and killdeer chicks take an extra 1.5 weeks to hatch over regular eggs because they hatch capable of running and foraging for themselves.

yukon john
06-30-2011, 05:52 AM
have you ever incubated chicks before, I have done thousands and I can tell you any variance from perfect kills them all, hows your humidity? air circulation? how much you turn them changes as you get closer to hatching, its a nice gesture but let nature take its course.

elkdom
06-30-2011, 10:12 AM
are you going to teach them to fly ?

like they did in movie about Canada Geese called "Fly Away Home"?

do you own a couple of Ultra-light Aircraft ?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Alpine Addict
06-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Green peppers, cheese, sausage. Omlette.

Rock Doctor
06-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Nothing much like that in FN that I know of

RD

jml11
06-30-2011, 12:00 PM
I know you are trying to do the right thing which is comendable, but in reality it is probably a long shot they will even hatch due to unatural conditions. Like YJ said the temprature and humidity has to be perfect so if that heat lamp is too high or too low it will either cook them or the embryos will be too cold and die...it's a fine line. It's sounds like you are doing your best ot keep the temp constant and turn them but you may even have to spray water into the incubator every know and then to keep the humidity up. One of the risk of dry eggs, is that if the chicks make it term, they will have a lot of difficulty hatchin if the membranes dry out during hatch. The chicks probably need heat after hatching as well but this is easier to control as the chicks can move away from the lamp if too hot. My wife tries hatching chicks from our hens everyear in homemade incubators with poor success. The broody hens have always outperformed. I couldn't even tell you what to feed them after they hatch...I don't imagine standard chick feed would go over well. Best bet would be to call up a Vet and ask them for advice. Also FYI It's illegal to even take the eggs under Section 34 of the wildlife act but I would look the other way if I was a CO as you are trying to save them.

jml11
06-30-2011, 12:06 PM
You can also check out this website. Looks like there is a rescue center as close as Dawson Creek, but it says bears only...good luck, hope it works out for you!

http://www.wrnbc.org/contact/find-a-local-rehabilitator/

elkdom
06-30-2011, 12:44 PM
You can also check out this website. Looks like there is a rescue center as close as Dawson Creek, but it says bears only...good luck, hope it works out for you!

http://www.wrnbc.org/contact/find-a-local-rehabilitator/

yeah! take them there,,,,,,,,,,

Bears like eating birds' eggs !