PDA

View Full Version : 7-06, 7-07 moose hunting

untilthelastbeat
06-29-2011, 10:23 PM
so i got drawn for 7-06 bull moose again this year and i just wanted to see if any of you guys had any pics or storys of bulls you have taken in that area (7-06, 7-07, 7-08.
i have hunted there the last 2 years now so i know the area pretty well and have seen quite a few bulls but id love to see pics of yours or hear the story to gain more knowledge about the moose in the area and ofcourse to get me stoked for this years trip. any tips or advice would be greatly apreciated aswell. we camp at narrow lake from sept 24 until around oct 6.
i was lucky enough to take a nice 7x8 out of there last year so naturaly i am hoping to uprgrade this year but it would be pretty tough to turn down any deecent mature bull as the chances are usualy few and far between.
so once again any tips, advice, pics, or storys would be greatly enjoyed! thanks in advance guys, hope your all getting exited.

Jagermeister
06-29-2011, 11:06 PM
I had a LEH in 7-06 years ago. Hunted in the Fourteen Mile lake area for awhile. Did see a large bull but let it walk. Highlight of that day though was seeing three wolverine just after crossing the washout to the west of Fourteen Mile Lake. They were all about the same size so I am thinking that it was a breeding female with a couple of suitors. Had a camera but plumb forgot about it in the excitement. Did score a nice bull a couple of weeks later on, called him off the mountain one afternoon. Had my step-son along and he was stoked, got him hooked on hunting. Guess what? We have a shared hunt in the same area again this year with a life long friend on mine. Looking forward to getting back to an old stomping ground.

untilthelastbeat
06-30-2011, 07:26 AM
right on! that sounds like an awesome time. hopefully your just as exited as i am to get back in there and start hunting. what time areyou heading up?

willyqbc
06-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Just a heads up for you, you may have to go a round-about way to get in to narrow lake as the main 700 rd is washed out and they don't seem to be in any hurry to get it fixed up. You can still get where you want to go but you may have to access it by going up the barkerville highway, on to the 2400 then dropping down on the 100 rd which will bring you out near stony lake. The 700 may be fixed by the time you come up but its been washed out for close to 2 months so far.

Chris

shaydog65
06-30-2011, 10:21 AM
My group was fortunate enough to win a Bull Moose draw up there as well. First time to go to PG. What's the weather like between Sept 25 - Oct 5th? Sorry, I don't mean to hijack you thread.

Caveman
06-30-2011, 10:55 AM
My group was fortunate enough to win a Bull Moose draw up there as well. First time to go to PG. What's the weather like between Sept 25 - Oct 5th? Sorry, I don't mean to hijack you thread.

Generally down to 5 - 10 degrees over night. Can and will likely be wet, only one year did we have snow, that I recall in ten years

Here's one from last year!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/PG2010057.jpg

untilthelastbeat
06-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Just a heads up for you, you may have to go a round-about way to get in to narrow lake as the main 700 rd is washed out and they don't seem to be in any hurry to get it fixed up. You can still get where you want to go but you may have to access it by going up the barkerville highway, on to the 2400 then dropping down on the 100 rd which will bring you out near stony lake. The 700 may be fixed by the time you come up but its been washed out for close to 2 months so far.

Chris
thanks so much for the tip! im not too familiar with the roads in yet as my dad is usualy driving and navigating but we usualy take the buckhorn in. will the washout interfere with that road?

untilthelastbeat
06-30-2011, 05:03 PM

hey no worries partner. two years ago it was warm when we got there on the 24th (up to 18 in the day) and fairly cool at night ( down to about 2). then towards the second week it started to get cooler gradualy with light snow twice then on the last 3 days it dropped right down with light snowfall and the moose were everywhere. last year was hot the whole 2 weeks (same time frame). i was walking around in bear feet most days. the bulls were rutting but mostly in the thick. it was up to around 15 during the day for the whole trip.
good luck to ya this year! maybe il see ya up there

Jagermeister
06-30-2011, 07:22 PM

ChrisThanks for the heads up Chris. I may come up this summer and pre-scout the area, maybe get Dave out the door. I got this spot in my mind that I like to go to, it gives me a variety of different hunting situations when considering the vagaries of the weather for the region and that time of year.

"what time areyou heading up?"
I'll be hunting that area about the last week of September into the first 2 weeks of October should it take that long. Me thinks not. If it should turn cold earlier in September, then I will go earlier.

bcmulie
06-30-2011, 10:05 PM
You're heading up there at the perfect time. Bulls will be rutting hard. I've hunted 7-07 quite a bit, and we always had success by finding the meadows a little ways off the roads, and then cow calling. Good luck on your hunt.

bcmulie

untilthelastbeat
06-30-2011, 10:52 PM
thanks partner. yea thats usualy how we hunt. go for long walks in the mourning then drive the afternoons and go for walks off the road to call. have you ever had any luck with deer in that area? the locals have told me about whitetails in there and we have seen a few mulie does.

Flingin' Sticks
07-01-2011, 07:38 AM
I had a bull draw in 7-07 a couple years ago, and learned quite clearly the necessity of the pre-season (I know, I know, bad Anthony should know better). Had a hell of a time finding animals in the areas I'd seen before, but knowing what I know of the area now, I'll probably put in for one of those three areas again. High point of the hunt was the last weekend I could get out (late october) walking through a field, pissed off at the world and my luck and hearing a grunt up the valley behind me. I hit the deck and all of a sudden I've got another grunt by the river on the other side of me....and the only cover is about 2 feet tall. One bugged out and the other holed up at the treeline about 300 yards away and didn't give me a look at him, but it was pretty cool none the less

untilthelastbeat
07-02-2011, 11:39 PM
I had a bull draw in 7-07 a couple years ago, and learned quite clearly the necessity of the pre-season (I know, I know, bad Anthony should know better). Had a hell of a time finding animals in the areas I'd seen before, but knowing what I know of the area now, I'll probably put in for one of those three areas again. High point of the hunt was the last weekend I could get out (late october) walking through a field, pissed off at the world and my luck and hearing a grunt up the valley behind me. I hit the deck and all of a sudden I've got another grunt by the river on the other side of me....and the only cover is about 2 feet tall. One bugged out and the other holed up at the treeline about 300 yards away and didn't give me a look at him, but it was pretty cool none the less

sounds like a good time! definatly pays to know the area around there before jumping in though. its pretty thick country.

cameron0518
07-03-2011, 12:26 AM
I like the added got drawn for a bull moose AGAIN.

willyqbc
07-03-2011, 11:11 PM
thanks so much for the tip! im not too familiar with the roads in yet as my dad is usualy driving and navigating but we usualy take the buckhorn in. will the washout interfere with that road?

you will be fine coming in from the north, apperantly the washout is right where Abhu creek crosses the 700, hope the rest of the roads are in good shape for you! good luck!

Chris

untilthelastbeat
07-04-2011, 09:32 PM
you will be fine coming in from the north, apperantly the washout is right where Abhu creek crosses the 700, hope the rest of the roads are in good shape for you! good luck!

Chris

ah yes i beleive thats the way we went in the first year. we entered at dunkley saw mill. now we take the buckhorn as its a far nicer drive. thanks again though i realy apreciate it. gettin the bug already and cant wait to start packing :)