PDA

View Full Version : time to bite the bullet?

Livewire322
06-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Well I've been hunting since I was 11 years old now 17 years old. I've only shot deer, although i have been on hunting trips for moose.
I've shot 3 deer. I shot my first deer when I was 11 up in likely. 'twas a 3x3, the next deer i shot was on the island a few years later, it was a 3x3 as well.
When i was 15 i shot my last deer, I was up in Spence's bridge and it is a beautiful 5x4 with a 25" spread that hangs nicely on my wall.
I didn't get a deer the year after but i did get a bull moose draw that wasn't filled :(
Last year I was partaking in the waterfowl heritage days on Sept 4-5 and decided that I should have a rifle for deer just in case. Good thing cause I saw at least 20 2 pointers each day and passed every single one up. Had 5 or 6 lined up didn't shoot though. saw a really big boy running faster than a bullet by the time I got to where he was he was long gone.
So I'm thinking that its time to stop being picky and just take the first 2 point I see this year. I figure that a moose from my draw and a 2 pointer will fill my freezer.

How long have you guys waited for THE ONE?

Bucks&Ducks
06-29-2011, 10:01 PM
with the unfortunatly small amount of time that i get in prime moose/deer territory I am not that picky

"If it has balls it falls"

blackwater moose
06-29-2011, 10:13 PM
question is, do you want to fill your wall or your freezer ?

dutchie
06-29-2011, 10:41 PM
He is 17... he does not have walls or a freezer!!! his parents have both!

Dana has a great thread called "so you want to shoot a big deer"... I think... read it over. He is one of the only people that I know that has 2 mulies over 200" and many more book deer.

I have alot of respect for people that hold out for a big old deer. I would imagine it to be a very rewarding feeling to shoot a very large buck after going without for many years!!!

Hunt for yourself and you do what you want to do. Some hunters are avidly against trophy hunting some are avidly for it.... What you choose is your choice and should be respected by all hunters.

Dutchie

Livewire322
06-30-2011, 01:38 AM
As for the parents thing its my moms walls but my freezer, bought a used one for my self.
I wasn't asking for someone to try and sway me into waiting or taking the first deer I see!
I was asking "how long have you guys waited for the one?"

lilhoss
06-30-2011, 04:22 AM
I have never waited for the big one.My time too is limited so when I go it is usually for meat.Here locally, I will try to pick out a small two point or bigger when it comes to deer.If I head up into the interior for a moose draw,the first bull I see gets it.Same goes for any muley buck.I have gotten a few nice bucks and bulls,but that has been by sure chance and not being selective.35 years and lots of stories and good hunts.Never been disappointed with my success.Gramps used to say,"you can't eat the horns".

Jehiah
06-30-2011, 05:01 AM
I passed on a buck a few years back it was a 2 point white tail (basically a spiker) that walked up to 10 m from me while I was standing in a slash. It was so oblivious and it was the first morning. A hunting partner had put down a nice 5x5 the evening before so there were bigger deer out there. I passed and did not see another animal the entire trip.
I made a vow after that to shoot the first biggest legal animal I see - actually, I did pass on a WT fawn 2 years ago but I came to full draw and had to talk out loud to myself to let the bow down. haha, its hard to go back on a vow.
So, I now wait as long as it takes to get a decent shot off - 3 seconds on a 3x2 mulie and 8-10 seconds on a WT doe last year.

boxhitch
06-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Wait ? depends on whether I can see the freezer bottom or not. but the last few years have been good early, so the rest of the season is spent looking for the big one. Some years that is two outings others it is twenty outings, so far only one wall hanger.

Darksith
06-30-2011, 05:26 AM
I think that a moose will fill your freezer pretty easily, no need to pile the deer on top of it. Don't ruin a moose hunt day by shooting a deer. If you get your moose, you can hunt for that big buck, if you don't fill your moose tag then grab some tissues to wipe away the tears and drop a decent buck.
I hold out until november to fill my deer tag unless I run into a monster, but that hasn't happened yet.

Caveman
06-30-2011, 05:47 AM
I haven't shot a deer in four years. I've passed an a several 170 class deer. I passed a damn nice deer last year hoping to get my son on it. As for moose and elk I'll take the first legal one to pop up. By the time I'm chasing deer the freezers already full so the deer hunting is more a hobby, looking for "The One" as you called it.

M.Dean
06-30-2011, 06:57 AM
Like the man say's, you have to have a tag to shoot a huge Buck in November! But, it totally depends on what you want from Hunting, if you don't have lots of time to put in, or you live in the City and it's a big deal to go out Hunting each weekend, you'll be more likely to take the first Buck you see. A lot of us live in the bush, we get home from work, grab a snack and jump on the Quad and were Hunting in 5 minutes! Also, I know some guys that have Hunted for years and never seen or shot a 4 point, the reason is they shoot the first Buck they see with horns and they have no Deer Tag left for the rut, but there happy with the meat in the freezer so, each to there own! And as far as waiting for "The One", I'm still waiting for my record book Mule Deer! So, I've been waiting about 40 good years for it!!! You have a Moose Draw for this year? If you don't mind me asking, what area???

SHAKER
06-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Like the man say's, you have to have a tag to shoot a huge Buck in November! But, it totally depends on what you want from Hunting, if you don't have lots of time to put in, or you live in the City and it's a big deal to go out Hunting each weekend, you'll be more likely to take the first Buck you see. A lot of us live in the bush, we get home from work, grab a snack and jump on the Quad and were Hunting in 5 minutes! Also, I know some guys that have Hunted for years and never seen or shot a 4 point, the reason is they shoot the first Buck they see with horns and they have no Deer Tag left for the rut, but there happy with the meat in the freezer so, each to there own! And as far as waiting for "The One", I'm still waiting for my record book Mule Deer! So, I've been waiting about 40 good years for it!!! You have a Moose Draw for this year? If you don't mind me asking, what area???

Perfectly said... I chase a Muley for 13 strait days and hunted till dark on the closer never to see him again. LOTS of really nice deer got to walk that season because of it.

Big Lew
06-30-2011, 07:26 AM
I've been hunting since age 14, 51 years ago, and during that time I have done very well. I start every season hoping to get a chance at "Mr. Big", but know my family and freezer come first. When I get a chance at an animal, I first determine how much meat it has, next, if I can make a safe, clean shot, and then if I am able to retrieve it. I have let many nice bucks go because things weren't right. The only time I am conscious of making a decision based on antler size is when there are two or more bucks or bulls together. Now that my family has fledged, and I always have meat in the freezer, I am more selective....last year, while bow hunting, I passed on four- 2 point, and three- 3 point mulies, hoping to get a chance at the 5x5 and several 4 point bucks in the area, and ended with nothing. I have taken some large 4 point mulies, and one huge bull moose during those years, but it was a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Since taking up archery, I have passed on many real big mulies and whitetails because they weren't broadside, there were twigs in the way, or they were a little too far away for my comfort zone.

Livewire322
06-30-2011, 11:49 AM
M. Dean
The draw is for 3-18 oct 1-31 if I'm not mistaken!
Got property up that way so hunting isn't that far away. I was going to go to Thompson river university just so I'd be closer to my hunting grounds :D
It will be weekend hunts for me though this year. I suppose that's better than nothing.
I don't feel as bad anymore about not taking a big deer sounds like lots of people have been saving their bullets.
I could always "bring" my mom hunting and "let her" shoot a deer to fill a second tag wink wink.

silvicon
06-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Waited approx 18 years for a 200+ non typical and as long for same size typical.
Since I don't want to travel for deer hunting I do it all within walking distance around my house.
No feeder, saltblock or other attractance.

Barracuda
06-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Hunt for yourself and you do what you want to do. Some hunters are avidly against trophy hunting some are avidly for it.... What you choose is your choice and should be respected by all hunters.

Dutchie

truer words have not been spoken.

You can also purchase two tags at once for mulies so you can always have a second kick at the can if you will. (best of both worlds)

a butchered deer takes up very little room in a freezer

markt308
06-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Growing up I used to freek out and shoot the first spike or two point I saw haha. Having said that I was only getting to hunt one, maybe two weekends per year. I don't regret shooting those young deer it was great learning experience and time with the old man. A few years ago was the first time I passed on several small bucks. It was hard but it ended up being a great choice because later in the season I ended up shooting my biggest muley yet! So cool how it all worked out. This year will be another year of holding out for a big one. wish i had a time machine cuz im ready to go now!

NaStY
06-30-2011, 07:07 PM
I will shoot what the big man puts in front of me.

swampthing
07-01-2011, 09:16 AM
I think you should shoot a few more deer and get some experience. I didnt start hunting deer unil I was about 20ish. I shot the first legal deer I could for several years. I finally took a good buck. After that deer hunting became easier. Finding legal deer was easy. I began to trophy hunt. I was able to hunt different regions which helped. I could do a trip to a different region and shoot a buck, to get it out of my system, and then trophy hunt my home region. As caveman said, not many deer get shot these days, as I am always waiting for somthing better.