PDA

View Full Version : 65 and older

BC Bill
06-29-2011, 07:12 PM
How many of you are 65 and older and still do alot of walking while hunting?

Jagermeister
06-29-2011, 07:29 PM
I like to walk or hike it. Can't get as far as I could when I was younger. Sometimes I move my starting location up by quadding closer to the area I want to hike.

paulo
06-29-2011, 07:54 PM
My dad is 83 and he still walks it. All be it he pretty much sticks to the roads now and does not like to go out when its wet.

pappy
06-29-2011, 08:37 PM
My dad hunted around that age, it was mostly road hunting though.

Big Lew
06-29-2011, 09:29 PM
You bet, I'm 65, and walk a lot during hunting, and all year as well....it keeps my arthritic joints from ceasing up. Besides, I get to be away from most others, and I see a lot more than sitting in a vehicle.

K-1
06-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Same as above,,, At 68 I walk to were I want to go or quad then walk into the area. Cant go as fast or as far as before so I sit and watch a bit more now.

hunter1947
06-30-2011, 03:30 AM
I am one year away from 65 and I do more walking in hunting season shed hunting then I did in my earler years..

saskbooknut
06-30-2011, 03:46 AM
Another one here that is one year from being 65. I still prefer to walk while hunting - we set up our hunting camp and walk to hunt until a game animal is down. I never did like the drive-around windshield survey kind of hunting. Upland bird hunting we certainly cover 10+ miles a day. We drive between widely separated cover areas for birds but then it is all walking. I will admit that I probably would not be hunting the alpine areas in the B.C. mountains that I hunted in my younger years where we climbed 2500 to 3000 feet before dawn to hunt the tops. The steep coulees here in Saskatchewan are measured in hundreds of feet of elevation and they don't slow down this old guy.

steel_ram
06-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Dad's hitting 80. Can't walk too much but refuses to use a noisey quad. Excepts his age with grace, he walk a bit, just find a place to sit, reflects on all the experiences and opportunities he's already had and knows not many starting now will ever see. Seems like he has a different attitude than many, who are all for trying to squeeze as much out off this planet as they can. Besides, what's he going to do if he has machine problems in the middle of no where?

BiG Boar
06-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Made it to the halfway mark today. Honestly though, getting into sheep shape for the last while, I feel like I am all the way there.

Bow Walker
06-30-2011, 09:36 AM
While I'm not quite there yet (only 63) I do like to get out and take things slow and quiet. The only problem is that I can't be going up too many steep hills, ridges, or mountains any more. Especially since I had a heart attack 2 years ago.

bcmulie
06-30-2011, 09:50 AM
My dad turns 70 in July and he still runs, hikes and backpacks. He helped me pack a ram 30 km out of the Tatshenshinni when he was 65. Last year he shot a nice blacktail on his own and packed it up out of a NASTY hole on the Island.

bcmulie