PDA

View Full Version : 5-12A moose early draw info

mikeboehm
06-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Ive never been up there before just wondering if anyone can spare some info on any good areas up there. Im going early probably sept 8ish-sept 19. I know its early but it the only time i can get off in september. Any info is appreciated. Thank you

Blair
06-29-2011, 09:26 AM
We have hunted 5-12A a few times. Lots of moose up there. We go in on horseback and only hunt the areas where there is a motorized vehicle ban, so I can't tell you too much about road access to other areas. Good luck. We always go the last half of Sept.

mikeboehm
07-02-2011, 11:10 PM
thanx for the info but im not going on this hunt anymore. i just read in the hunting regs that there is a ban for all atv's and snowmobiles for hunting sept 1-dec 5. and many roads are closed for motorized vehicles.

randymac
07-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Now I see why some on here get pissed off with people not having a clue about the area they put draws in for.
Way to waste a leh draw!

thanx for the info but im not going on this hunt anymore. i just read in the hunting regs that there is a ban for all atv's and snowmobiles for hunting sept 1-dec 5. and many roads are closed for motorized vehicles.

mikeboehm
07-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Did u put in for that area randymac. I bet theres alot of people that put in and didnt know theres an atv ban for hunting. Including u i bet

Squirrelnuts
07-03-2011, 08:39 AM
You'd think that if hunting off of an ATV was THAT important to you, you would have looked into it before applying. I didn't put in for that area but moose draws are damn hard to come by and yeah, it pisses me off to see them get wasted due to nothing but laziness.

f350ps
07-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Everybody bitches about what's wrong with our LEH system but it's clearly not the system that's screwed up, just some of the clowns that don't know how to use it properly! K

.330 Dakota
07-03-2011, 08:50 AM
You'd think that if hunting off of an ATV was THAT important to you, you would have looked into it before applying. I didn't put in for that area but moose draws are damn hard to come by and yeah, it pisses me off to see them get wasted due to nothing but laziness.

it is good sportsmanship to do as much RESEARCH on an area as you can BEFORE applying. I have only been here in BC for 5 years and I study as much as possible before the LEH draw goes in. I use the internet and map books and the reg's to MAKE SURE thats the area I can and want to hunt.

mikeboehm
07-03-2011, 08:57 AM
i put in where my buddy and his dad put in they did the research but i should have done more research myself. its not just that i cant take my atv, its that ive never been there and theres not much vehicle access and my buddy and his dad got drawn for there second choice. its also not smart to go by yourself which i would have been doing. you can get mad all you want, i made a mistake. i bet many people made the same mistake in this area.

.330 Dakota
07-03-2011, 09:24 AM
i put in where my buddy and his dad put in they did the research but i should have done more research myself. its not just that i cant take my atv, its that ive never been there and theres not much vehicle access and my buddy and his dad got drawn for there second choice. its also not smart to go by yourself which i would have been doing. you can get mad all you want, i made a mistake. i bet many people made the same mistake in this area.

We all make mistakes, the key is not to repeat them. I think the reason guys get ticked is that there are people out there that apply just to see if they get a tag. Then there are the ANTI"S that apply to waste tags.

mikeboehm
07-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Ya i was planning on going but not by myself. So either my buddy and his dad come and waste there 2 tags or i go with them and i waste 1 tag

pnbrock
07-03-2011, 09:53 AM
you own a mountain bike?

dwflyrod
07-03-2011, 09:55 AM
just return the tag and mybe some one else will get drawn if you are not going to hunt that area

Shade Tree
07-03-2011, 10:05 AM
just return the tag and mybe some one else will get drawn if you are not going to hunt that area

That's not an option. I am sure Mike will do more research next time, because he is now penalized for the next three years. There are many tags wasted every year due to reasons like this...

mikeboehm
07-03-2011, 10:53 AM
as far as i know u can only return a bison draw

mikeboehm
07-03-2011, 10:54 AM
also what about the 2 people in bc who got drawn for 6 species. you think there going on all 6 hunts

.330 Dakota
07-03-2011, 11:38 AM
also what about the 2 people in bc who got drawn for 6 species. you think there going on all 6 hunts

Some do,,,ive seen the pix

snakeplain
07-03-2011, 11:40 AM
apparently, the big game guides orchestrated this atv ban in region 5-13 and 5-12 years ago in order to control the hunting for their sole purpose with clients from all over the world while those of us who work and live in this area, pay taxes, etc. cannot use an atv to drive around the old logging roads. we pensioners have trouble walking distance, don't own a horse ranch and gear, so therefore, are out of luck, welcome to canada, the wildlife resource belongs to all of us, not just the guide outfitters who seem to skim the top, who made this decision and what went on under the table, it is time for change, get rid of the special interest group regulations, if there is not sufficient game, don't have a season, treat all residents equally, helicopters, planes, atvs, horses, vehicles, who the hell is making up these rules, is there money involved?

.330 Dakota
07-03-2011, 11:45 AM
apparently, the big game guides orchestrated this atv ban in region 5-13 and 5-12 years ago in order to control the hunting for their sole purpose with clients from all over the world while those of us who work and live in this area, pay taxes, etc. cannot use an atv to drive around the old logging roads. we pensioners have trouble walking distance, don't own a horse ranch and gear, so therefore, are out of luck, welcome to canada, the wildlife resource belongs to all of us, not just the guide outfitters who seem to skim the top, who made this decision and what went on under the table, it is time for change, get rid of the special interest group regulations, if there is not sufficient game, don't have a season, treat all residents equally, helicopters, planes, atvs, horses, vehicles, who the hell is making up these rules, is there money involved?

Would be nice if Seniors had an exemption permit (free of course) for this purpose. The handicapped get one, so why not the pensioners who fought for this damned countries freedom...just a bit of a rant there

snakeplain
07-03-2011, 12:44 PM
330 dakota, you missed the point, the old pensioners from the us or germany don't have to get a permit to ride in the plane or river boat to hunt in bc, why should the longtime residents of bc have to, or, why are they restricted to hunt in their province with an atv in an area full of old roads. i think that the government should restrict riverboats on the muskwa and others that are used for the purpose of hunting, guides would be exempted of course, how would that feel, this is all suspicious, the point should rest solely on the game population, nothing else, the management of hunting regulations must be revisited.

papaken
07-04-2011, 12:21 AM
From what I can see so far at least 2 of the closed roads aren't in 5-12A and with some more map work I think there is still lots of area that can be accessed. Luckily none of us use ATVs. I too am getting old and forgetful as I did not check about road closures when I filled out my LEH, but I will go up and do my best to get my bull. It does seem strange that they give out a large number of LEH and then restrict access to the game. If anyone can tell me where to get the maps the COs use, i would like to get one, as I can't seem to find a "P" (or Punky Rd.) on the maps I have.
thx papaken

elker
07-04-2011, 06:24 AM
I got the same draw for the same time slot as Mike. Will go there no matter how. If I can shoot a moose, good; if not , I can shoot a wolf; if none of them comes up, at least I can breathe some fresh air there.

I have never wasted game meat, I will never waste a leh draw.

randymac
07-04-2011, 07:40 AM
no, I didn't put in for that area. I check out topo maps and the regs before I put in for any draw.

silvicon
07-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Sure, atv for everybody, helicoperts for them who can afford, shoot right out of the helicopter!
It is sad to see who gets a hunting license in this province!