PDA

View Full Version : Newest arrival - deutsch drahthaar puppy

hotload
06-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Carlo blew into Van. Airport, Pet Air, Lufthansa Airlines, from Frankfurt last tuesday, very tired, thirsty, and hungry. He promised me a lifetime of fun and adventure, to date, he has only come through with some sleepless nights for everybody. We will see........

Carlo blood tracking a bull elk, ok, a butterfly
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp282/hotload12/IMG_3221-1.jpg

same bull elk, different managment unit
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp282/hotload12/IMG_3219-1.jpg

His favorite toy, and with any luck his will drop soon.
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp282/hotload12/IMG_3215-1.jpg

spear
06-28-2011, 10:31 PM
He's gonna be big, pretty sure Billie will run the show though. You're in for it now

slicky72
06-29-2011, 05:45 AM
Wow is he ever a handsome lad. How old is he Rod?

hotload
06-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Wow is he ever a handsome lad. How old is he Rod?

Hey, Rick, He's 81/2 weeks old and weighs a tad over 20lbs,at this point a real bruiser and an attitude to match it.

4pointer91
06-29-2011, 01:10 PM
He's looking good Rod, won't be much longer and he'll be be ready for a bird or two! How are his teeth? :-)
Looking forward to seeing him in person one day!

hotload
06-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Hi Ralph,
His teeth are straight with a proper bite, and far too sharp, and I have scars to prove it.

06-29-2011, 01:45 PM
He's Fat! And he's got big paws.
Cute little dog, always curious about them. I see many good days in your future

Sasquatch
06-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Beautiful pup. Would love to have one.

John P
06-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Is it hard to get a dog flown over here, a guy from my work is about to fly to Hungar stay 5 hours and fly back due to hassels with airlines.(picking up a chow)

hotload
06-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Is it hard to get a dog flown over here, a guy from my work is about to fly to Hungar stay 5 hours and fly back due to hassels with airlines.(picking up a chow)

It isn't as hard as one might think. I'm sure there is a few ways to go but the breeder and I chose to go with Pet Air. Pet Air actually looks after the pets while in flight and there not just stowed away in the frieght part of the plane. Customs was easy enough, they just had to get the dog checked out and there is no quarantine involved just a bit of a wait there. What is involved here is that the puppy has to be taken to a vet and you only have a certain time frame to do it. The vet in Germany had to deal with the pup with shots and examination and the pup had to be on the plane within 48hrs after the checkup. Probably the worst part of the whole ordeal is the price attached to it all. I too contemplated flying over to Germany to make sure everything was to my liking but the breeder assured me that he had done it before with a pup sent to Greece, and it would be no problem.
CHEERS
ROD

Steeleco
06-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Dutchie has a pup like yours that's near 2 years old IIRC. Damn dog has to be one of the most intense yet quiet dogs I've ever meet.

Buck
06-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Welcome to the DD world you're gonna love that dog.

dutchie
06-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Great choice and a awesome breed!!!

Have fun with him! There are lots of DD and DK guys here now! fantastic to see!

Dutchie

Wood butcher
06-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Great looking dog!

Lee Root
06-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Rod, nice. Can't wait to meet him ...Lee

John P
06-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Thanks Rod, I will pass on the info. I am lucky, I have lab and a cattle dog dont have to go far to find good breeders there is enough of them lol.

bowhunterbruce
06-30-2011, 10:41 AM
so thats the lil stud huh,well done buddy.

mijinkal
06-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Nice looking pup! He looks real thick and solid!
I got lucky when I had my DK flown over to Seattle. My son was sleeping with his head on the kennel, and it was late at night so the border guard just waved us on by without making us pay any extras or going through any more hassle. Still, the price tag was up there after it was all added up, but definitely worth every penny.

Do you plan on putting him through testing when he's older?
Have fun with him!

hotload
06-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Nice looking pup! He looks real thick and solid!
I got lucky when I had my DK flown over to Seattle. My son was sleeping with his head on the kennel, and it was late at night so the border guard just waved us on by without making us pay any extras or going through any more hassle. Still, the price tag was up there after it was all added up, but definitely worth every penny.

Do you plan on putting him through testing when he's older?
Have fun with him!

I absolutely want to put him through all the testings. I was a member of VDD-Canada a long time before he even arrived so I could get a hold of some good info off the members part of the site, and also be able to obtain some required reading, like the Puppy Manual and the Armbruster book. How's your DK? How old and have you done anything with him?

mijinkal
06-30-2011, 02:21 PM
yea, the puppy manual is a great book. I have it in my truck right now and actually just took another look at it at lunchtime just for the hell of it. I also suggest the NAVHDA green book. I'm shure you've been directed towards a lot of good info though.
My DK's a year old now and he's doing great. He is everything I expected from him after doing all my research, and then some. I haven't been able to do as much training with him as I'd like to. There isn't too much support down here, and I've been extremely busy with other things. I would love to have the time to get him on birds a few times a week. I've realized that I can't pursue all of the testing with him, but would still like to make him the best bird dog he can be.
If you want to get the best out of your dog I suggest meeting with other DD or DK owners, and definitely train him for testing. It's a lifestyle that you have to decide you want to live though. It takes a lot of time and commitment, but is extremely rewarding.

hotload
06-30-2011, 06:32 PM
I have talked to quite a few guys off the site that like you are a whole lot more knowledgable than me. They have given me valuable info and I'll do my best to put it in practice. I have read many times over and over if you want a bird dog you gotta have birds and up here they are at a premium. I have thought seriously about getting a coop and keeping some pigeons to work with. I used to raise homing pigeons and actually like them a lot. You were talking about not having support down there, just in case you didn't know, I have been PMing back and forth with a guy down there in Pitt Meadows, he has a DD, his name is BUCK on here and his real name is DAN. He seems to know quite a bit and has taken his dog through some of the testings, also, there is another guy wanting to test for VJP in 2012 with his pup bought from Lee Root out of Omak Wash ,and he lives in Surrey, so if your interested??? I don't know his ph#, but, If you want it i would scoop it for you.

Mooseman
06-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Great looking dog!
Hope he will not disapoint and be what you want him to be. He is in good hands.

dutchie
07-03-2011, 11:44 PM
If you can take a hop skip and a jump to Penticton... Jeff Martin is a DK guy but I have put in many days in the feild with his dog Nic.

Nic just got his KS and Jeff has trained 30+ internatioally awarded dogs. Nic is the current dog and I am sure that new pup from Vom Alderberg kennels is going to surpass what Nic is doing.

Jeff ownes Le Franz winery in Naramata and still trains the dogs every day, and puts time in to helping other trainers. He is very passionate about well refined hunting dogs.... yet he does not hunt!

Dutchie

irishbandit1
07-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Nice new addition my friend.Now I will have two dogs to hunt under as well as one slightly worn out and long in the tooth pack mule :).
Cheers,Steve.

Slickfork
07-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi there Hotload! Glad it all worked out for you. Slickfork

Dannybuoy
07-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Great looking pup Rod !! Now I dont need to ask what you are up to .... You are going to be busy ! .. But a good busy eh !
Catch ya later

BigSlapper
07-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Hello folks ... I'm the guy Hotload mentioned living in Surrey with the DD pup from Lee Root out of Omak, WA (Feival Vom Okanagen Flusstal/AKA "Gunnar") PM me if you are interested in doing some training. Gunnar is 15 weeks old - it's been a blast so far but realize how much I have to learn (can you say "patience"!). VJP nxt year is something I do want to participate in.