PDA

View Full Version : Just came across a sweet looking bow!

BlackwaterHunter
06-28-2011, 04:55 PM
I was going through some bow maker sites and came across to me a sweet looking bow/deal ( read a few revies all say its great). The strother valor 33 5/8 ata, 8 1/4 bh, 324 ibo for 599! just thought i would share this for anyone looking for a good medium range bow.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Strothers Valour ... Made by Kevin Strouthers ... ...
creator of old Bowtechs ... Elites .. etc....

Havent shot one yet ... But I am willing it is all that and a bag of chips

dave*
06-28-2011, 06:47 PM
I have a 2010 Strother Infintiy.

I dont believe that Kevin Strother has anything to do with the Strother Archery brand anymore.

The Infinity is near as I can tell the SR 71 cams with a 7"BH riser.

I love the feel of the Strother grip, it's fast, holds well, very quiet, more accurate than I am, the Strother is currently one of my go to bows.

The only downside is its a bit finicky to tune and not much of a dealer network in this province.

D*

bowshooter27
06-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Your right. Dave .Kevin Strother is not involved with strother archery anymore, he and his wife started there own company. K and K archery, i just ordered the Vindicator
35” ATA
7 1/8” BH
332-340 with smooth mods
337-345 with speed mods
31" DL
should be here anyday,

take a look at them there sweet

Bow Walker
06-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Kevin has had a somewhat tumultuous career so far. Plenty of highs and lows for him, hopefully he can settle down and build himself a solid company - not that his last one isn't solid.

There are a few bows out there that catch my eye all the time...
APA
Diamond
Elite
and of course Kevin Strother's bows.

I'd buy any of the above bows without a qualm.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Kevin has had a somewhat tumultuous career so far. Plenty of highs and lows for him, hopefully he can settle down and build himself a solid company - not that his last one isn't solid.

There are a few bows out there that catch my eye all the time...
APA
Diamond
Elite
and of course Kevin Strother's bows.

I'd buy any of the above bows without a qualm.

the funny thing BW all of your list has history with Strothers at one point or another

in 2004/05 ish when APA was first getting started they were using old Bowtech Cams
Diamond being a part of Bowtech since 03 ish ...

Elite was started by Kevin

I think their "problem" isnt much of a problem .... word has that all the starting and selling is nothing more than capital building ... they started Elite with pretty much nothing but a Loan from Kates dad (Terry Martin of Martin Archery fame) ... sold it for a buttload ... paid back the loan started the strothers line ... in the wrong economy ... sold it for a bit more than invested ... started K and K ......

Eagle1
06-29-2011, 09:21 PM
yep, and now K&K are filing for bankrupcy. wonder how a " lifetime " warranty works when they are not around anymore.
Never shot one, but then again there's no dealer here and I think there's only a couple of them here on the Island.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-29-2011, 09:26 PM
yep, and now K&K are filing for bankrupcy. wonder how a " lifetime " warranty works when they are not around anymore.
Never shot one, but then again there's no dealer here and I think there's only a couple of them here on the Island.

ask anyone that owns or got sucked into buying a Champion bow in the last five years since they went tits up over a law suit using modular cams...

oh and dont beleive everything you read on AT ... Kevin and Kate personally are filing for chapter 7 ...has nothing to do with the company

bowshooter27
06-29-2011, 10:13 PM
actually Eagle 1 I have talked to kate strother personally and have talked to there customer service guy too . so before you go believing eveything you read on the internet. you might be interested to know that the company is not going bankrupt it is a personal problem., k andk are still producing and delivering bows, there is a 30 day wait time from order date. Mine hit canada on the 22nd, i cant wait to shoot it,

Jonas111
06-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Good to see Kevin's work coming North of the border. I have owned the SR71 since it first came out and it is still one of my favorite bows. I strictly use it for 3d only for speed because of my short DL and piss poor yardage judgment.

There is a guy in Kelowna who is going to be a K&K Rep. Kevin makes great bows, I wish this to be his last endeavor and he settles down with this company. He has it pretty good when he married a Martin girl and in laws understand archery.

Good luck with your purchases and do keep us in the loop when you test them out. I like hearing about new stuff.

Bow Walker
06-30-2011, 09:33 AM
the funny thing BW all of your list has history with Strothers at one point or another

in 2004/05 ish when APA was first getting started they were using old Bowtech Cams
Diamond being a part of Bowtech since 03 ish ...

Elite was started by Kevin

I think their "problem" isnt much of a problem .... word has that all the starting and selling is nothing more than capital building ... they started Elite with pretty much nothing but a Loan from Kates dad (Terry Martin of Martin Archery fame) ... sold it for a buttload ... paid back the loan started the strothers line ... in the wrong economy ... sold it for a bit more than invested ... started K and K ......
Never said I didn't like the products. I've been a "fan" since he left Bow Tech. I almost had an Elite but I was impatient and couldn't wait until they started shipping - so I ended up with my Diamond.

Like Jonas111, I wish them nothing but luck in their new company.

bowshooter27
07-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Will do Jonas111
I heard kevins bows are alittle tricky to tune. But once there
Tuned they will shoot the lights out. Quote.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-03-2011, 08:51 AM
I dont find them difficult to tune ... once you wrap your head around how the Binary Cam System works it actually pretty easy and straight forward..

however all his bows are tuned with 452X material ... alot of others are shipped with 8175 ... I beleive the string material and number of strands makes a huge differace in the tuneability .... the speedballs that are used as well make a differance

Bow Walker
07-03-2011, 09:30 AM
I totally agree that the string/cable material makes all the difference in tunability of a bow.

If you have to fight with creep/stretch/crawl and whatever of the string or the cables, the poor bow hasn't got a chance to stay in tune - once you get it there. A few shot and the bow is already starting to loose it's tune.

uraarchr
07-06-2011, 08:11 PM
I have the Strother SR-71 and to me its awesome.Quiet and no handshock.I've only owned a Bear Vapour and Browning Mirage so I can't compare to the current stuff out there.

donny.brooke
07-11-2011, 09:25 PM
all the k and k bows are shipped with proline custom strings in 452x 24 strands in full halo serving, the cams are actually a hybrid cam not a binary, the cams come with rotating mods so dl changes are easy, these bows are amazing,fast smooth and the quietest i have ever shot. tuning mine was a snap and looking forward to selling a few. my vengeance is at 68lbs 29.5 draw and shoots a easton axis 430 grain arrow well over 300 feet persecond, pm me if you wana try one

Bow Walker
07-12-2011, 08:47 AM
all the k and k bows are shipped with proline custom strings in 452x 24 strands in full halo serving, the cams are actually a hybrid cam not a binary, the cams come with rotating mods so dl changes are easy, these bows are amazing,fast smooth and the quietest i have ever shot. tuning mine was a snap and looking forward to selling a few. my vengeance is at 68lbs 29.5 draw and shoots a easton axis 430 grain arrow well over 300 feet persecond, pm me if you wana try one
Might help to know where you are located.......

bowshooter27
07-12-2011, 12:04 PM
I agree with what Donny said!!!

donny.brooke
07-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Might help to know where you are located.......

Kelowna B.C.

Bow Walker
07-13-2011, 09:15 AM
OK - thanks for that. I've had to edit your post for reasons of "advertising without being a sponsor"..........don't take it personal.

donny.brooke
07-13-2011, 04:16 PM
OK - thanks for that. I've had to edit your post for reasons of "advertising without being a sponsor"..........don't take it personal.
non taken lol lol

Bow Walker
07-13-2011, 09:53 PM
OK. Thanks...

Jonas111
07-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Will do Jonas111
I heard kevins bows are alittle tricky to tune. But once there
Tuned they will shoot the lights out. Quote.

I think there bows are well designed and tuning them are not an issue. Some of the new speed bows are very hard to tune but I find Strother and Elite bows easy to tune once you understand them.

I have a SR71 and absolutely love it. I am a fan of Kevins bows but not a fan of his business ventures. When he left Strother Archery he said on the Strother forum that he would help find any parts to bows he engineered. I think he means well for archery.

Ruger4
07-19-2011, 06:19 AM
I dont find them difficult to tune ... once you wrap your head around how the Binary Cam System works it actually pretty easy and straight forward..

however all his bows are tuned with 452X material ... alot of others are shipped with 8175 ... I believe the string material and number of strands makes a huge differace in the tuneability .... the speedballs that are used as well make a differance

most bows will shoot "lights out" when tuned properly and in the right hands, but I agree with BZM that string and strands definately make a big difference