PDA

View Full Version : matthew river leh info

dhog
06-28-2011, 02:43 PM
I got a draw in 5-15 B anyone have any info on roads, logging activity ect I've hunted lot around Heffley creek but not up as far as the mattew river so any info will be appreciated thanks in advance

06-28-2011, 02:58 PM
You need a boat to access the area proper. There is a little skiff of country you can hunt by Ghost lake. look close at the LEH map. Mathew river is your boarder up to Wells Grey park. That area back there can get packed with snow fast, what dates is your draw for?

lip_ripper00
06-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Did this hunt 2 years ago, we came in from Likely along Carriboo lake rd to mathews Valley Rd. Their is a road that runs between the park and the river and loops back out to Mathews valley Rd it's only 10-15 km. It's called Mathews River Rd.While we where there we camped on the Mathews just before the bridge (rd on left) Ghost Lake rec site was busy as was the lake area. We where successful this is how we did it. Just as you turn off Mathews Valley rd their is an access point to the river, from this access point 100 -200 m down river their is a very large back eddy at least 1 km across, we would get in early and call. Their is an old cabin on the right hand side we used it as a blind, took us 3 days of playing cat and mouse with the bull but it was worth it! A couple words of caution, as 835 said watch snow conditionds it can get ugly fast. If you get a good map you will see said places on there. DO NOT TRUST Backroads map book! even if the map book says you can YOU CAN'T FLOAT THE MATHEWS TO THE CROSS ROAD their is a gorge in the way! If you have any questions PM me a phone number. Good luck

06-28-2011, 04:00 PM
YOU CAN'T FLOAT THE MATHEWS TO THE CROSS ROAD their is a gorge in the way!

I was wondering about that!
sounds like an adventure there, We pulled our bull off that road between the river and the park

dino
06-28-2011, 04:46 PM
There are alot of bears down by the river just north of the arm. If you had the right equipment hunting up penfold is almost a guarantee. You can also paddle up to the end of ghost lake and call from there or find some of the G.O. trails and hike around. We floated down mathews got one and broke the canoe. I think the best spot where we saw the most was hiking down the mitchel river trail half way and hike up high to the right and use a spotting scope to scan the north arm. We saw a few in there but just didnt have the right equipment at the time for access but the G.O. did and she pulled a beauty out of there. A guy to talk to on here about that area is Srupp.

lip_ripper00
06-28-2011, 07:08 PM
A guy to talk to on here about that area is Srupp.

With out a doubt!I am sure he will be along>

limit time
06-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Does Gohst lake have power restrictions for outboards?

Jagermeister
06-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Of the 4 zones in 5-15, that has to be the toughest to hunt. Low zone odds like this,
"4216 Cariboo 5-15 B Nov 1-Nov 15 Bull only 9 0.9:1"
do not signify that a moose is a given. It means that the hunters that know the area don't hunt there late season.

06-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Does Gohst lake have power restrictions for outboards?

I dont think so. The trail you need to hike the motor down "Restricts" the power enough.

limit time
06-29-2011, 03:45 PM
I dont think so. The trail you need to hike the motor down "Restricts" the power enough.

HaHa, I'll be a worm up for when I pack a moose out :)

limit time
06-29-2011, 03:48 PM
HaHa, I'll be a worm up for when I pack a moose out :)

Knock on wood!

06-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Good luck to you guys up there, just watch the snow and prepair for cold. Even if you got the early draw. We were there first two weeks of Oct and it was -25 at night and +25 a couple of days!

It is a hard slug but you can call them off the River. or haul it to the end of the lake ( i was never there the motor had troubles. But i wanted to)

russm
06-29-2011, 03:55 PM
I got the same area for oct 15-31,all this boat talk is throwing me off a bit,are we talking a serious boat or will a row boat/canoe suffice?

06-29-2011, 04:00 PM
The area was designed around crossing Quesnell lake. There is a tiny slip of land near Ghost to hunt. Give the LEH map a close look compaired to the Road atlas. You need a serious boat or you get this slip of land only. And you being a late draw need to watch the weather close. If the snow touches you, blow camp!
Aparently it can block you in overnight.

06-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?57313-Access-5-15B&highlight=barkerville

limit time
06-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?57313-Access-5-15B&highlight=barkerville

Thanks for that thread! Is the OP still here?

06-30-2011, 08:25 AM
I think so, dont know how much he posts though. Blast out a PM.

dhog
06-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all the info I think we'll have to do a little scouting this summer then talk to my group The snow is what has me the most worried being the draw is 15-30 Oct . Gives me something to think about Thanks again

Jagermeister
06-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the info I think we'll have to do a little scouting this summer then talk to my group The snow is what has me the most worried being the draw is 15-30 Oct . Gives me something to think about Thanks againTry to get a boat ride up the north arm in July or August. There was a logging camp up the arm on the east side that was the staging area for booming the logs and would be good starting point for hunting if it is not in use for logging. I don't know if it is still in operation, but would be a good area to hunt if you can access it. Just remember this, you can get some very nasty convergence winds that create equally nasty waves at the junction. Can you say salt chuck, well it can get that way. Most times you can duck to shore and weather the blow, which usually subsides in the evenings, but not always. By pre-scouting in July or August will at least give you an idea of the lay of the land that you would see in October sans the snow.That all I know.

srupp
07-03-2011, 11:36 PM
hmmm Im home, holidays...... and guided in that area..please send me a pm with ph # so I can call...

cheers
Steven