PDA

View Full Version : 7-20 ELK youth hunt help

RDM
06-27-2011, 07:54 PM
My boy got the 7-20 elk draw.

Whats the best time to go? Would over Christmas break be OK?

Are the farmers up in Dawson Creek willing to let you on their land or should a person be going elswhere`s

Any info would be helpful.Don`t want to go all that way from the coast and not be prepared

Ghillie
06-27-2011, 10:30 PM
A lot of people up here put in for that draw too, so it might be kind of a far out idea to waste too much time asking for permission, because the farmers hunt them on their own property too. They are considered quite the pest and farmers dont like them eating their hay and peeing on their hay. When the elk pee on the hay the Horses and cows will refuse to eat it. There are some great crown land areas around which would probably be your best bet (since only 800 authorizations "either sex" are given out) and 7-20a incorporates a huge area. X-mas break might be okay, you will really have to study the weather forecast. it got to minus 40 celcius with a ton of snow for a couple of days last year, and one whole week 2 years ago. You need to be VERY prepared for snow up to your knees to waist in some areas. Thats really all I can provide for now! Goodluck!

MuleyMadness
06-27-2011, 10:46 PM
When we have been up there with that draw, we found the farmers and land owners to be very willing to allow us to hunt their land, all you had to do is ask. Of the 20 or so farmers we have met, not a single one has told us no...not one. Hell some of them even would spend the morning or a couple of hours showing us their land and the good spots to look. A polite approach is all it ever took. Yes it can get cold, but what we found is that is EXACTLY what you want...when it's cold they don't have as much choice about going fully nocturnal, simply because they need to eat more than during the night to keep their energy, and body temps up. Don't go during a full moon or anytime close to it...the animals are out eating all night because you can see just fine. The farmers do consider them as vermin, no doubt on that and they will help you if they can at all. Yes some of them hunt the elk, but some of them have dozens on their land, and I can promise you, they don't have that many tags.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-27-2011, 10:54 PM
I have the late draw for a Cow .. dec -feb ... Been digging around for a land owners map , does such a thing exist .... any peacers up there on here have some land owner contact info? ... I have family with land up near hudson hope area ... but I am looking at keeping some options open

Ghillie
06-27-2011, 11:04 PM
I guess I shouldnt have said much about the perspective on permission as I really only hunt crown, my own land and one others property in which I have permission.

MuleyMadness
06-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Try Corleones Mikey, they used to have a list.

elkdom
06-28-2011, 09:42 AM
A lot of people up here put in for that draw too, so it might be kind of a far out idea to waste too much time asking for permission, because the farmers hunt them on their own property too. They are considered quite the pest and farmers dont like them eating their hay and peeing on their hay. When the elk pee on the hay the Horses and cows will refuse to eat it. There are some great crown land areas around which would probably be your best bet (since only 800 authorizations "either sex" are given out) and 7-20a incorporates a huge area. X-mas break might be okay, you will really have to study the weather forecast. it got to minus 40 celcius with a ton of snow for a couple of days last year, and one whole week 2 years ago. You need to be VERY prepared for snow up to your knees to waist in some areas. Thats really all I can provide for now! Goodluck!

some plus facts of the late elk LEH zone 7-20a ,,,

the majority of ranchers have fenced hay enclosures/compounds( paid for by Govt Grant$), those ranches the elk do not return to, for easy food, there is none there, they moved on,

it only takes over night for elk to many miles away the next morning, if disturbed,

all of reg 7-20a- agzone has extensive O&G Construction 24/7all year round !, what was good elk habitat today, by tomorrow morning can have a 100 men and dozens of heavy machines setting up a drilling rig, so TODAY"S plans mean very little , in that area, the elk will be GONE,

the late elk LEH in 7-20a was implemented to disperse the elk herds from agricultural land, the concept has worked very well, the late elk LEH hunt is NO longer the (like shooting fish in the barrel) hunt, as it was the first few years,

"The LIST of land owners" for elk LEH hunt is NO longer organized or categorized as it was the first few years by the MOE,,,,

last winter the late elk LEH hunt produced low hunter success, not from shortages of elk numbers, but because of weather, industry and elk learning new ways to avoid hunting pressure !

d6dan
06-28-2011, 11:05 AM
I had that draw last year along with my nephew and we were both successful. If it wasn't for my Bro getting permission from some farmers, it would not have happened. What we found out was these elk like certain fields, so you have to find out which fields they like to go into and locate the owner.Once thats taken care of and permission is granted, then it's just a matter of figuring out what time to show up. I know its not easy finding a connection to help, but sometimes thats what it takes..So good luck to you guys and I hope you do well.:-D.

RDM
06-28-2011, 12:17 PM
thats why I thought I better start planning now

3kills
06-28-2011, 12:35 PM
we had that draw two years ago and we had some good contacts when we left home but we had just missed the elk by a day or two. then we scrambled to find permision eventually we did get a good land owner that gave us permission and they had elk and we got our elk no problem in two days (first day one was missed) we did come home with one tag still in pocket but that was only cuz we ran out of time and had to come home. like MM said u want it to be cold and lots of snow and we had lots of snow when were were there just wasnt cold. wolves are a big problem too in the one field we had permission in the wolves game through and chased them out just before we were there between that and people snow mobliling they were gone. ur best bet is wait till its cold and snow and no full moon and then go and have a few contacts when u go and then start drivin and lookin for elk sign when u see it start knockin on doors.

d6dan
06-28-2011, 01:09 PM
ur best bet is wait till its cold and snow and no full moon and then go and have a few contacts when u go and then start drivin and lookin for elk sign when u see it start knockin on doors.

You bet 3kills. I forgot to say, we were up there in mid Feb..The crappier the weather, the hungrier the elk. Snow was deep and a good wind with it.

250 sav
06-28-2011, 03:16 PM
My son has this draw too, Hope to take him up in August for moose and hope to find some landowners talk to about permission

MuleyMadness
06-28-2011, 04:45 PM
That's a good idea 250, but don't count on the elk being there come winter. It's not to say they won't be, but imo, the most important factor in success up there (besides enjoying the cold) is to be flexible. If you're not seeing many elk, talk to everyone, and ask if they have seen any. Even if they don't have any on their land, they probably know who does, and usually will point you in the right direction. Once they do, don't hesitate, go. You really have to be fluid in your plans.

The best part of going up there, at least for me, is the farmers and the people in the small communities are as nice as the day is long. Some of the best experiences of my life have been on that hunt, not because of fantastic hunting or anything, but because of the fantastic people you meet and get to know. Makes it a worthwhile trip, especially with a youngster.

Kelster
06-28-2011, 05:24 PM
My son was successful in the 2134 / 7-20 draw as well. I get that being flexible and prepared for cold weather are prerequisites for hunting in the Peace country - kinda goes without saying, me thinks... :???:

I hunted Elk in the Kootenays last winter (unsuccessfully) :cry: and although we could find them in the dark they are ghosts come first light. They are wiley critters with big ears.

Not looking forward to the drive from Kelowna in December but I'm looking forward to planning a hunt with the young man. Any further coaching and suggestions for 7-20 would be greatly appreciated.

Whonnock Boy
06-28-2011, 08:20 PM
My brother and his son had the draw a few years ago. My brother had the list, but found most of the numbers outdated. He finally got a hold of one rancher that had some elk around. Every four or five days they were hitting his hay stacks. At the time we were hunting in and around Chetwynd with no luck, so we headed to up to this guys place up past Fort St. John. A few days later they had their elk. That rancher had let us hunt his property and sent us to his friends place too. The friend in turn sent us to another guy. So the one guy opened the door to three places total.

In the few days that we up there we did not see a whole lot, but the one day spotted a herd. We knocked on a door and those people sent us to the owners place. They allowed us to try for them but it did not pan out for my brother and nephew. They actually had no idea the elk were trashing their hay bales. I think my brother still has his number. I will PM you if he does.

So I guess what I am trying to say is, don't make plans, knock on doors if you see some elk, play the weather, and prepare to put on some miles.

250 sav
06-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Is Christmas break to early, I looks like most people went up in feb. my son will be in his first year of highschool and I don't know how much school he could afford to miss.

luckynuts
06-29-2011, 07:52 AM
It can be a tough hunt for the kids or a really easy one. Come morning the elk are off the fields unless it's really cold -30 or colder and the cold streak has been on for a few days. If the weather is nice -15 -20 try still hunting the timber along side of fields with known sightings. You will be surprised how unspooked the elk are in the timber especially along creek and river breaks. It's also good if you have a fair amount of snow. Not an easy hunt but rewarding for a late season hunt for sure. Post this thread up in november and I can try and dig up info for people. Land changes hands up here and it will depend on what crops are planted and how they turn out. So far it's going to be an excellant year for crops and animals.

W.

Flingin' Sticks
06-29-2011, 08:59 AM
I've had this draw twice in the past, and both times we were up there in mid-febuary. 7 tags between the two years, with six elk brought home. I'm not sure how much the weather impacted us though...the first year it was about -5 with six inches of snow, while the second time it was -25 with 2-3' of snow on the same hillside we got the elk off of the time before. At that time of year, we had a hard time finding the elk in the fields (I don't think it was hunter pressure, becaues we went to the far North End of 7-20a), but they were consistiently found on top of cut-banks in clearings high above the river. South facing slopes where they can grab the sun and keep a good look-out (probably 10 different wolves sighted in a 4 day hunt) seemed to be the trick.

I got the draw again this year, but with a different group and these guys don't much feel like driving up to pink mountain when Chetwynd is only 3 hrs north, so I'm going to be doing a lot more pounding on doors than I've done in the past. Good luck

3kills
06-29-2011, 09:51 AM
the people whose kids got this draw did they get the youth one? and is the youth one not open to crown land too?

moose2
06-29-2011, 10:05 AM
McElhanney Geomatics in FSJ sells the land owner maps they come in a group of 3 and cover all the peace or can be purchased seperatly if you know what area you want to focus in. They are expensive but well worth it they have all the land owners names and it also shows surrounding crown land. 250-787-0356 . Hope this helps
Mike

250 sav
06-29-2011, 01:36 PM
3 kills it is includes cown land and private in 7-32,33,34,and portions of 7-20,21,35,45,46 and private + 2000m from in7-22,43,44,45,58

Ghillie
06-29-2011, 04:41 PM
3 kills it is includes cown land and private in 7-32,33,34,and portions of 7-20,21,35,45,46 and private + 2000m from in7-22,43,44,45,58

Its quite the area to cover eh? hahaha

xtremearchery
06-30-2011, 08:26 AM
I have the late draw for a Cow .. dec -feb ... Been digging around for a land owners map , does such a thing exist .... any peacers up there on here have some land owner contact info? ... I have family with land up near hudson hope area ... but I am looking at keeping some options open I have seen that map book. it is put out by macalleny drilling. The spelling maybe off but that mapbook is killer. it gives u the land owners names, lease rd names and contact info, cut line info.... everything. i believe they cost around $200.00 I'm getting one fore sure. I got that late season draw again! can't wait. I met some nice land owners up there. But even so that mapbook would come in handy. let me know if u get one.

elkdom
06-30-2011, 10:06 AM
I have seen that map book. it is put out by macalleny drilling. The spelling maybe off but that mapbook is killer. it gives u the land owners names, lease rd names and contact info, cut line info.... everything. i believe they cost around $200.00 I'm getting one fore sure. I got that late season draw again! can't wait. I met some nice land owners up there. But even so that mapbook would come in handy. let me know if u get one.

the last edition of Mac Laney Peace Region Land Status Map is several years out of date,

copies were available from "Precision Mapping of Kelowna BC ",,,

vip_ruger
06-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Go to Corlanes and ask for a land owner map they have them i bought one last year and there are lots of area to hunt thats crown land

f350ps
06-30-2011, 02:59 PM
I was up there the last week of January and we filled our tags, although it took some effort. Backcountry Sports have the map book and it's about $125 and worth every penny. It is fairly up to date as I have a friend that bought a ranch up there about 3 yrs ago and his name is in it. We also got a list of names from the MOE office for ranchers that were having problems with the Elk. All the ranchers we spoke to were excellent people to deal with and will make every effort to help you out. Good luck! K