PDA

View Full Version : First Goat Hunt. Skeena 6-08 ZoneB

Maxconn
06-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Hey I am going for my first goat hunt in the Skeena region 6-08 zone B (NW of Babine Lake) for mid-late September. I also got a Bull Moose and Grizzly Bear draw for 6-08. I Am really excited for the Goat hunt more than anything and was just wondering if anyone has any input on areas, elevations, tactics, gear or any other information I might need to make this a successful first Goat hunting trip up there. Also curious on what the overall weather and temperatures are like around Babine for September so I bring the proper hiking gear. Thanks for any information.

CHEAM
06-28-2011, 08:57 PM
private message sent.

Cordillera
07-02-2011, 11:03 AM
good luck; there are lots of goats in that area, but access is not always easy. if you haven't hunted in the skeena mountains, you'll find the bush accessing the alpine can be dense balsam, hard going, so do your homework finding a good access road and ridgeline to hike to alpine and .... I will be in a different range nearby and my plan is to spend a half day cutting a trail (just clear brush, branches, and deadfall) so I can get in/out easy. a couple hours with a small chainsaw can do wonders.

Some folks in that area have been able to scout animals from the roads and then do a hunt. Others will just find a good looking set of peaks, head up with a spike camp for a few days and find the goats from there.

For weather, september can be anything from straight sunshine or like last year late september hard rain. Usually count on some snow on the peaks after mid-september. Not much different than anywhere in northern BC except higher chance of rain than the drier areas north (cassiar) or east side of the rockies.

Good luck.

Caribou_lou
07-02-2011, 11:26 AM
What dates is your moose tag for? Sept 10th -24th or Sept 25th to Oct 20th? How many days are you planning on coming up for?

Maxconn
07-03-2011, 09:38 PM
My moose draw is for 10-24. I think my hunting partner and I are going to come up for a full 7-9 days on the latter part of our draw time, plus our travel time from and to Vancouver Island. I want to get a full week at least of solid hunting time, and I want to start with the goat seeing as how it is going to be the more challenging hunt and the odds are more difficult.

Gunner Staal
07-03-2011, 09:45 PM
I have a tag for 6-9 L. Its just outside Terrace. I had the same draw last year and had a rough go, mostly due to poor access to my hunting area. Best advice I can give was already covered above. The coastal mountains are like a rainforest. Pick a spot where an FSR takes you as high up as possible and then blaze a trail from there. The foliage growing below the alpine can be impassable in areas. I will be going a week early this year and cutting a small trail in. Cuts the time and effort immensely. Biggest goats in the world are in that area. Good luck.

Maxconn
07-04-2011, 11:52 AM
I have a tag for 6-9 L. Its just outside Terrace. I had the same draw last year and had a rough go, mostly due to poor access to my hunting area. Best advice I can give was already covered above. The coastal mountains are like a rainforest. Pick a spot where an FSR takes you as high up as possible and then blaze a trail from there. The foliage growing below the alpine can be impassable in areas. I will be going a week early this year and cutting a small trail in. Cuts the time and effort immensely. Biggest goats in the world are in that area. Good luck.

Hey thanks for the reply. Did you have the same draw last year as I do now? or as the one you have now? and what is FSR short for?

TheProvider
07-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Forest Service Road