PDA

View Full Version : Who buys used tackle?

Johnnybear
06-26-2011, 08:00 PM
If you don't you should;-). These kind of things come around every once in a while so take it while you can.

Well an old employee of mine phoned me up a few days ago saying his saltwater fishing guide buddy was packing it in and had a lot of stuff to get rid of.

So I wondered over there on Friday and took a look at what he had. Now I already have way too much tackle but this was hard to pass up as he wanted to sell it right now because he is moving his family to the interior.

The low down on the list of stuff I just picked up.

About 100 plugs in the 5-7" Tomic variety (50 of them new in the box).

About 50 spoons ranging from 3.5 inch to 6" (30 of them new in the package).

A whole grocery bag full of hootchies (80% new in 10 packs bulk)

3 Trophy mooching rod's (pretty rough shape but functional)

2 Shimano GT2000 reels (new in the box)

7 Penn halibut reels 320 Gt's etc. (4 of them new in the box)

4 spools of various line including a huge spool (probably 2000 yards of braided).

A bunch of boxes of hooks and terminal tackle.

12 packs (unopened) of Berkley power grubs for bottom fishing.

A bunch of boating stuff like rod holders etc.

I picked it all up for 500 bucks. If you buy saltwater gear just start adding up that list above:mrgreen:.

nature girl
06-26-2011, 08:18 PM
That was a really good deal. I quess youll be fishing lots this summer. Have fun.

Johnnybear
06-26-2011, 08:23 PM
That was a really good deal. I quess youll be fishing lots this summer. Have fun.

I figure at bare minimum 4 grand worth of stuff. I was sold on the halibut reels alone because I want to chase Albacore Tuna this year. The rest was just gravy!

thunderheart
06-26-2011, 09:06 PM
SCORE!!!!well done Johnnybear

Johnnybear
06-26-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm not trying to gloat (ok maybe a little) but all I am trying to put across is there are deals out there. I have seen this kind of thing in the buy and sell before. Maybe a widower etc. just trying to get rid of a whole collection of stuff. Keep your eyes open and ears peeled folks. Deals are out there. Buy it up as it is a hell of lot cheaper than buying it at retail prices.

The kicker to the deal I just purchased was the guy guided out of Ukee where I fish mostly. So everything he had lure wise was appropriate for my area. Double wammy!

Anyone else buy used tackle from the buy and sell or other? Get a good deal?

Johnnybear
06-26-2011, 09:14 PM
SCORE!!!!well done Johnnybear

I didn't really need anything but the reels. Oh well I'm building a new shop with a man cave in the back so half of it will be a tackle room.

Thanks man.

pnbrock
06-26-2011, 09:22 PM
or you could share the deal with me ,hoochies and plugs that is.

boxhitch
06-26-2011, 09:24 PM
About 15 years ago i was visiting the folks at Beachcomber and a neighbor was holding a garage sale. Wandered over to look at a rod, and walked away with three combo sets, two misc. tackle boxes , about 60# of lead weights, 4 trays of plugs, and six trays w/~100 hoochies. Not bad for $80 I thought.

Johnnybear
06-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Anyone else buy a shit load of tackle for cheap in their lifetime? I know there are guys that have a ton of trout stuff that goes for cheap in the buy and sell once in a while.

A couple of years ago my son and I scored about the same amount I posted from a retired fire chief (hence the reason I don't need anymore tackle). He only fly fishes rivers now and sold his boat etc. etc. He drinks coffee in my wife's coffe shop a few times a week and saw my posts on the various fishing forums. He told my wife we could have all his salwater gear as he was getting out of it. He said it was better to see it get used by folks that will use it and enjoy it.

Johnnybear
06-26-2011, 09:28 PM
About 15 years ago i was visiting the folks at Beachcomber and a neighbor was holding a garage sale. Wandered over to look at a rod, and walked away with three combo sets, two misc. tackle boxes , about 60# of lead weights, 4 trays of plugs, and six trays w/~100 hoochies. Not bad for $80 I thought.

That was one hell of a deal! Right on boxhitch!

Johnnybear
06-26-2011, 09:41 PM
or you could share the deal with me ,hoochies and plugs that is.

Ha ha nice try Brock!!! Lot's of needle fish hootchies and T-Rex hootchies.In the plug department 602's and even a couple of green eyed monster's:mrgreen:. Brand spankin new!!!

pnbrock
06-26-2011, 09:51 PM
nobody wants to be known as a hoarder i can help you!

Johnnybear
06-26-2011, 10:07 PM
nobody wants to be known as a hoarder i can help you!

Ha ha I never thought of myself as a hoarder:-D. Just wish I wasn't such a bad skipper and got my boat ready earlier:icon_frow.

I'm doing a major on the Sculpin and hope to be on the water soon testing out this tackle.

Salty
06-27-2011, 09:53 AM
that is nuts Jb, as you say the price was good for the Penn reels the rest is gravy! I like buying used stuff from time to time, just bought a couple M-1 reels for spares off of Stitka Spruce here. And I check out Ideal Tackle in Campbell river from time to time - they sell quite a bit of used stuff. When I got the fly fishing bug a couple years ago I started out with a used trout rig. As you see I'm a player so if you don't find use for one or two of those Penn's I may be interested :razz:

Johnnybear
06-27-2011, 10:55 AM
that is nuts Jb, as you say the price was good for the Penn reels the rest is gravy! I like buying used stuff from time to time, just bought a couple M-1 reels for spares off of Stitka Spruce here. And I check out Ideal Tackle in Campbell river from time to time - they sell quite a bit of used stuff. When I got the fly fishing bug a couple years ago I started out with a used trout rig. As you see I'm a player so if you don't find use for one or two of those Penn's I may be interested :razz:

I may put some stuff up for sale but I don't know what yet until I get everthing in order this year. There is also a fundraiser going on for the Nanaimo Fish Hatchery that I will donate alot of stuff to help raise money.

Salty
06-27-2011, 11:24 AM
. There is also a fundraiser going on for the Nanaimo Fish Hatchery that I will donate alot of stuff to help raise money.

Good stuff Jb :cool:

steelheadSABO
06-27-2011, 11:29 AM
I picked up a Grice and Young royal supreme centerpin and a JW Young fly reel for $30
Don't know much about saltwater gear but it sounds like a pretty good deal