PDA

View Full Version : LEH Moose hunt, Region 5-01, Oct 1 to 14

Albafly
06-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Hi guys,

I was lucky enough to get a bull moose draw with a buddy in Region 5-01 for Oct 1 to 14. We plan to head up a day or two in advance to get set up then hunt hard for as long as it takes, min 9 days booked off work, right through til last day if we need it. Any moose will be a trophy for us, so I am not looking for the biggest bull out there. It will be my first moose hunt, and I really am so exited about it. In fact, I am not sure how I’ll manage to get through the next 96 sleeps until it starts.

So far, this is what I have picked up from reading:

Hit the range
Low lying areas
Lots of willows
Recent cut blocks with lots of feed
Learn to Cow call
Scout beforehand- buddy is going up in July and I’m going to try and get there in early Sept for a scouting trip
Avoid bull call as it might scare off smaller bulls
Stand hunt- wind in the face, sun on the back
Full moon and clear night=moose will be less active in daylight
Be in position before first light and hunt sunrise and sunset hard

What else should I consider? All information is useful- whether it is general pointers relating to moose hunting for a beginner or tactics for this specific area. It would be great if anyone can give me an idea of what to expect from moose hunting at that location at that time of year. I put in for this hunt as we have both been there a few times (buddy has deer hunted there quite a few times), we have access to a cabin if we need it and from my research it seemed like a decent area and the rut should be on- if I am misguided on these points, fell free to correct me.

Thanks, and happy hunting!

Alba

MuleyMadness
06-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Sounds like you have got most of what you need there.

Something to really remember though...during the rut, if you see cows (and don't see any bulls), stop, wait, look very carefully, and be extremely patient. If you find cows, the bulls will not be far away. They might be just in the timber or hidden, but eventually they are gonna come investigating those cows.

Jelvis
06-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Mu 5-01 should be a memorable bull moose hunt 4 sher. Canim Lake - Bridge lake.
Especially during peak rut for moose, the conditions are good that way and this will help you see moose.
Fair moose and deer hunting through out all of Mu 5-01 the best mule deer hunting is in the southeast section of Mu 5-01.
Access from Hwy 97 from 70 Mile House via the Green Lake road; Hwy 24 through Lone Butte; the Eightythree road and, from 100 Mile house, the Canim Lake system of roads.
Jel -- Canim Lake .. Good

Albafly
06-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys,

I'll be sure and keep an eye on cows. If I was watching a meadow and there were two cows hanging there for a while, say I have watched them for half an hour or an hour and no sign of a bull, should I make a cow call, or just sit and watch? Would cow calling at that point interrupt and blow the whole thing?

I can be very patient when I know what I am doing... uncertainty can make you jumpy!

Jelvis
06-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Being the time of the rut for moose is at it's peak and that peak is in your time period of the Oct 1 to 12 being the peak. If you see cows you are going to see a bull there.
If the bull/cow ratio is right there will be enough mature bull moose to breed the mature cows. When the cow is in estrus the bulls will seek her out and work there way in towards the cow in heat.
If you are in sight of a moose don't call right away it could cause the moose to see your movement. Wait if it's a cow and she is nervous a bit and looking in a certain direction it could be where the bull is.
You can give a lonely cow call, calf or even a bull call. When it's peak rut those bulls are in the rut mode, swinging their antlers side to side coming in, maybe three bulls closing in over a two hour period or so. Watching, circling a bit. Grunting, hitting bushes with their antlers.
If you stand by a moosey spot by a stream, small lake or meadow in the rut you listen good late or early day and you will hear the cows calling for a bull.
The wail some what similar to beef cattle moaning to get attention.
Hunt early mornings, be out on a bush road come daylight by moose meadows.
jel.

Albafly
06-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks Jelvis,

Usually I have to drink 18 beer before I understand you, but today I understand the Jelly-wisdom! Thanks for your input! I am stoked! Can't wait to go scout the area out.

Jelvis
06-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Heck you could see a bull moose right on the side of a road at any time during the peak rut.
I would think too about b4 you shoot a bull, how far from the road, how steep is it if he runs down after shot. In other words do not get overly nervous and lose your thoughts when you first see that bull. And do not shoot a bull standing in water.
Other than that, if it's close to road access and on fairly flat or on the hill side above the road, BAM! Behind the front shoulder so it bleeds out.
Jel .. Moose meat is good too and you will have plenty to use for specialty meats as well.

Steeleco
06-26-2011, 10:24 PM
You have mail LOL

Albafly
06-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks very much Steeleco!