PDA

View Full Version : Wapiti FSR - Tumbler Ridge current info please!

willyqbc
06-26-2011, 10:16 AM
I hunted out that way about 10 years ago and at that time there was heavy oil and gas activity going on, still we got our moose. I maybe looking at heading back out that way for the Aug any bull season this year and am just looking for any current info on the area. Moose populations?? industry?? heavily hunted?? good area to camp??

Any info on this area or if you have an alternative suggestion in that chetwynd/Tumbler general area I would appreciate it.

Chris

afflicted 1
06-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Having lived there for the last few years I can say there is major industrial activity in the wapiti area, not so much in the upper area but anywhere else seems to be busy. While it is beautiful out there the game numbers were not what I would expect major wolf and grizz problems and tough winters. I think there are areas around chet or hudson hope that are probably more productive and better odds of an elk as well. I put 1100km on my rhino in wapiti, murray and wolverine areas last year and only seen a handful of moose, they are there just not like they should be. JMO

elkdom
06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
the OJay Road, 500 Road ,Wapiti Red Deer areas have major O&G drilling, pipe-lining,seismic, and Coal field development), South grizzly area as well, Rat Lake road and Stony Lake areas also very busy with industrial development, recent EXTREME heavy rain storms have destroyed many roads and bridges, only the busiest and most important industrial roads will be repaired in the near future,,,

willyqbc
06-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys, exactly the kind of info I was looking for! I guess I will start looking at alternatives!

Thanks again
Chris

Bowzone_Mikey
06-27-2011, 06:16 PM
with the storms etc .. ya might be Fubared to get north of Chetwynd ....

I was thinking about heading to Mackenzie and gettin on the other side of the lake and trekking up that way a bit for any bull

I hunted Pigeon mtn area a few years ago with Sams Grandpa ... it was a busy area as well

moondog
08-17-2011, 02:26 PM
one of the busiest places I have ever been with respect to industrial activity (namely oil and gas)...if it isn't oil and gas fragmenting the habitat, its the darn wolves chasing them from one valley to the next...its a damn shame really...