PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on SPOT

rollingrock
06-26-2011, 10:13 AM
I know some guys have been using SPOT for a couple of years now. So what's the overall opinion on this thing? Any thing good or bad about it?

500grhollowpoint
06-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Yesterday I tried to go up to the lake in Greystokes. The snow on the road is deceptively deep. Told the wife I would be home at 5. Sent her a message at 5:30 to tell her I was OK. Never got home until 10. Spent over 3 hours shovelling.

RJ
06-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Love it. Definite peace of mind when you're a long way from cell service.

keoke
06-26-2011, 10:57 AM
I bring it with me everytime I go out into the bush. I have used it to check in when I changed my mind in what area I am hunting in. If there is ever an emergency I know someone will be coming to get me out.

Blair
06-26-2011, 11:09 AM
It's all good. Send home a message saying you're OK and where (exactly) you are. Can't send any more information (that is good). Can't receive any information either (that's better).

.300WSMImpact!
06-26-2011, 11:13 AM
It's all good. Send home a message saying you're OK and where (exactly) you are. Can't send any more information (that is good). Can't receive any information either (that's better).

LOL that is good, I should get one instead of a cell phone

Trapper
06-26-2011, 11:39 AM
There a great tool , I won't leave home without it,i have a pre typed message on mine and lets the wife know when we have a moose or what ever down,plus i'll put it on track mode when were traveling north to dease lk. and coming home which is a 24 hour drive each way.Now she doesn't worry about us because she gets a message all the time,and if you ever need 911 its at your finger tip.

Livewire322
06-26-2011, 11:45 AM
What is this SPOT? it has intrigued me!

BiG Boar
06-26-2011, 01:32 PM
What is this SPOT? it has intrigued me!

http://international.findmespot.com/

Its a cell pager sized device you carry that sends a message at the touch of the button. It uses satellite messaging and GPS location. With one, you can say, I'm okay, I'm here, or I need help from my friend to help me get out a moose, or I need 911 (goes strait to search and rescue).

Gives peace of mind to you and people anywhere in the world to know youre okay.

kennyj
06-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Love mine!
kenny

Livewire322
06-26-2011, 03:04 PM
they have yearly plans?
or are they free after purchase

FlyingHigh
06-26-2011, 03:10 PM
they have yearly plans?
or are they free after purchase

you need to pay for a yearly plan. i think it's about $150 per year. very cheap insurance.

waistdeep
06-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Last year two of my sons came to join in a moose hunt 5 days after I had left. We had found our place deep, deep in the northern BC when I hit the "ok" button to let them know where we were. They took the cordinates, punching in Google, and printed a map that led them directly to us. Now that is COOL!!

Now some A$$hole has my Spot as it was in my quad that got stolen, just thought of that #@$$%!!!!!!

longstonec
06-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Takes up as much room as a couple granola bars and family love knowing that if something ever happened I have a chance of getting help.

burger
06-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Last year two of my sons came to join in a moose hunt 5 days after I had left. We had found our place deep, deep in the northern BC when I hit the "ok" button to let them know where we were. They took the cordinates, punching in Google, and printed a map that led them directly to us. Now that is COOL!!

Now some A$$hole has my Spot as it was in my quad that got stolen, just thought of that #@$$%!!!!!!

You should contact them and see if they can reverse track it? just a thought

BlacktailStalker
06-26-2011, 07:20 PM
They work well and may very well save your life one day.

.330 Dakota
06-26-2011, 07:39 PM
You should contact them and see if they can reverse track it? just a thought

I have the "Snitch" in my quad which is the gps tracker, and it works great

buford19
06-26-2011, 08:29 PM
First thing that goes in my pack. Love it.

06-26-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm thinking or replacing my spot with DeLorme Inreach. You can use it like spot or take an android phone with you and send and receive text messages and use the phone as your GPS if you have some kind of map software that is not wireless dependent installed on it.

http://blog.delorme.com/2011/06/03/delorme-inreach-two-way-satellite-communication/

rollingrock
06-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Ok, I just checked SPOT official site. Now I don't want to sound cheap, but why would I pay $100 a year for their basic service while I only use the unit max 6 months a year? And that 6 months include spring bear season. Also, the feature that I'm most interested in is the google mapping my position, and I have to pay $50 a year extra for that. So to be able to use this unit, I'll have to pay $150 a year? Is there any way I can go with pay as you go?

Rubicon500
06-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Ok, I just checked SPOT official site. Now I don't want to sound cheap, but why would I pay $100 a year for their basic service while I only use the unit max 6 months a year? And that 6 months include spring bear season. Also, the feature that I'm most interested in is the google mapping my position, and I have to pay $50 a year extra for that. So to be able to use this unit, I'll have to pay $150 a year? Is there any way I can go with pay as you go?

You definatly sound cheap , 150$ for the insurance factor that could save your life ? Buck up and get it , great device and its cheap to use every year , less than 50 cents a day !

hntcrazy
06-27-2011, 06:18 AM
Good cheap insurance for sure ..Watch london drugs they go on sale .
everyone going in the bush should have one..

Ciskman
06-27-2011, 07:38 AM
Coming from the SAR world we are seeing more and more of these out there. They do work and they do save lives.

You definatly sound cheap , 150$ for the insurance factor that could save your life ? Buck up and get it , great device and its cheap to use every year , less than 50 cents a day !

Its funny how many people I have come across that are in dire need of help but are more concerned about the cost of rescue. Its understandable I suppose. Just so everyone here knows (here in Canada) its FREE!

snareman1234
06-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Good units...But, mine doesn't work worth $*** in thick tree cover, if I turn the tracker feature on in thick brush, I'll be lucky if it sends 1/20 tracking messages

Barracuda
06-27-2011, 09:26 AM

we are the same way, if it were a one time purchase or pay per use we could accept that but the cost is more then we will spend.

dedapair
06-27-2011, 09:44 AM
I won't leave home without it. A friend works in emergency services and can't say enough good things about them....took them to within six fet of a hunter with a badly broken leg, people travelling through the mountains on the highway still encounter areas of no coverage...911 button called them in.. I personally use it every day when hunting. If I'm away on a trip I punch I'm OK when I leave camp, and again when I return for lunch. Same for the afternoon hunt(predetermined times with the wife). It takes a large amount of the worries that my sweetie may have when I'm in the bush.

emerson
06-27-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm having an issue with the cost also, but if I'm down with a broken leg or some other common solo bushwacking problem, at that moment I would pay much more than $150 a year for a speedy rescue. I pay $thousands every year for insurance on things that don't really matter like house and vehicles........

Tenacious Billy
06-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Whether I'm planning a trip into the mountains or just bombing around FSRs with my pooch, I always bring mine along. My wife never batted an eye when I said I wanted one. The peace of mind alone makes it a worthwhile investment.

smoke-eater
06-27-2011, 09:57 AM
I don't get where you guys think it costs $150????? Ive had one for 4 years now and it only costs me $100 each year, And I can view where i'm at on google earth. What more do you want?

Mik
06-27-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm thinking or replacing my spot with DeLorme Inreach. You can use it like spot or take an android phone with you and send and receive text messages and use the phone as your GPS if you have some kind of map software that is not wireless dependent installed on it.

http://blog.delorme.com/2011/06/03/delorme-inreach-two-way-satellite-communication/

I believe Spot has now come out with the " SPOT CONNECT" and it allows you to connect via bluetooth to your
cell phone, but only allows for "texts".

Heres the link; http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

Tenacious Billy
06-27-2011, 10:01 AM

I paid $100.00 for the year and everytime I check in with my contacts it also sends along my coordinates on google earth.

If you use the SOS function once - ever - that $100.00 or $150.00/year is going to seem like chump change and that little unit will be worth every penny you spent on it.

Barracuda
06-27-2011, 10:15 AM
i guess if your heartattack waiting to happen its easier to spend money then to be healthy so your not in that situation to begin with.
On the other hand the SPOT safety net also allows people to take bigger risks because they think that someone will also bail them out when they screw up.
i think for many it is just one more must have consumer toy .

rollingrock
06-27-2011, 10:26 AM
I won't leave home without it. A friend works in emergency services and can't say enough good things about them....took them to within six fet of a hunter with a badly broken leg, people travelling through the mountains on the highway still encounter areas of no coverage...911 button called them in.. I personally use it every day when hunting. If I'm away on a trip I punch I'm OK when I leave camp, and again when I return for lunch. Same for the afternoon hunt(predetermined times with the wife). It takes a large amount of the worries that my sweetie may have when I'm in the bush.

That's the main reason I want to get one. I remember when the unit first came out, people were still able to sign on on pay as you go basis, which in my opinion is more reasonable. If the cost of use was more flexible, people might want to get the second or the third unit for their family members or dogs (like Barracuda's hounds). To my wife, hunting blacktailed deer never worries her, some 'special' trips which put me in wilderness for a week might. But I could only get on these trips maybe once or twice a year.

pearljam
06-27-2011, 10:27 AM
i guess if your heartattack waiting to happen its easier to spend money then to be healthy so your not in that situation to begin with.
On the other hand the SPOT safety net also allows people to take bigger risks because they think that someone will also bail them out when they screw up.
i think for many it is just one more must have consumer toy .

I think your way off on calling it a toy. Spend some time reading stories of people who have been saved by this tool.

Remember the Fernie snowmobilers??? Less then 30mins after activating the Spot, a helicopter picked up the survivors and the search began for the missing,

How about the hunter who cut his leg 100 miles from Dease Lake, the two hunters were picked up by a helicopter 2 hours after the first SOS message went out.

How about the american travelers that were headed north on the Alaska highway, 100kms north west of Fort Nelson, an eldery man has sever chest pains. 30mins after the SOS went out, an ambulance meets them on the highway headed back into Fort Nelson. After being transported to FortNnelson, He was airlifted to PG, the list goes on and on........

No toy here.

06-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I believe Spot has now come out with the " SPOT CONNECT" and it allows you to connect via bluetooth to your
cell phone, but only allows for "texts".

Heres the link; http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

I think the spot connect is one way (send only) where the DeLorme Inreach is 2 way(send&receive)

Barracuda
06-27-2011, 10:44 AM
what im saying is there are many folks that will purchase simply because it is the latest toy etc.. not that the device is a toy.

There are some that will also put themselves in precarious position because of a perceived safetey net instead of giveing nature the respect it deserves.
Just because you have a spot does not mean you can ignore the potential pitfalls of the wilderness or your abilities

it is a tool that if it were priced right i would take advantage of pay per use but to be forced into a yearly subscription with add ons sounds alsmost like shaw cable tactics

PS : i hunt with my wife normally so keeping in touch is not an issue . It would be differnt im sure if I didnt

Tenacious Billy
06-27-2011, 10:48 AM
what im saying is there are many folks that will purchase simply because it is the latest toy etc.. not that the device is a toy. and there are some that will put themselves in precarious position because of a perceived safetey net instead of giveing nature the respect it deserves. Just because you have a spot does not mean you can ignore the potential pitfalls of the wilderness.

it is a tool that if it were priced right i would take advantage of pay per use but to be forced into a yearly subscription with add ons sounds alsmost like shaw cable tactics

I guess if you're not planning on leaving the safety of your truck it may not be worth the cost.......but for anyone that does any serious mountain hunting it's certainly a worthwhile investment.

Barracuda
06-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Just cause i hunt with my wife does not mean we dont leave the truck lol

pearljam
06-27-2011, 11:02 AM
I know some guys have been using SPOT for a couple of years now. So what's the overall opinion on this thing? Any thing good or bad about it?

To get back to the point, It is a great tool. I have a gen. 1 Spot, and it has worked perfect for me for the last 4 years. I always give it the full 20mins to send the ok message with 99.9% of them working. I send a couple 100 ok messages with it a year. And review them at home on google earth. At 28 cents a day for the basic service, its money well spent! I would recomend one for anyone spending time in the bush.

Blair
06-27-2011, 11:05 AM

Well you do sound cheap. Think about it for minute. You are in the middle of nowhere with a broken leg. The bone is sticking out. How much would you pay then to send a message? Or, you are OK but you are 100km down a seldom travelled road and you have a broken axle. Think about it.

pappy
06-27-2011, 11:39 AM
I had a little trouble with my first gen spot and one phone call and they had it fixed. I got it because I like to go a little further and hunt a little longer than I plan to. My wife is very happy that I got it and use it, I bring it fishing all summer, hunting of course and on snowmobile trips.

buck nash
06-27-2011, 11:40 AM
My wife made me get one but I'm glad she did. The anual fee is really not much and for me it'll be used all year anyhow. It's not just for hunting. I take it camping, fishing, boating, hiking and even on road trips. You don't ned to be a "heart attack waiting to happen". There's plenty other things that can go wrong while out of cell service. Truck breakdowns, road washes out, twisted ankle, boat overturns, you could get lost, shot by friendly fire,... whatever.

There's no charge for sar here so no point in buying their sar insurance policy. The basic service is $100 and that's all you really need. If you want the other services they aren't really much of an add on.

As for causing people to feel more inclined to take more risk...I guess there are those who might think like that but for me it never crosses my mind when making decissions about taking risks. The fact is there is always risks in life and they are magnified when you're in the woods. Even with this unit, a rescue could be several hours away so those who might think this makes them invincible should realize they still need to use common sence. It just makes sence to minimise those risks when it is so easy to do so. I don't think having a spot has effected my risk taking behaviour anymore than wearing a seatbelt, helmet, condom or any other safety device.

I have found that messages sent from heavy cover will sometimes fail to get through, but I have a used first generation unit that I bought for $50. I would imagine the newer units might broadcast a stronger signal.

Albafly
06-27-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't have a spot, but I am thinking about getting one.

I broke a timing belt once about 40k from the highway. It all turned out ok- I just had a really long walk. But I was wondering about SPOT in a situation like that- I don't want to alert every emergency person within 500 miles when I am not hurt, but I could still use some assistance. It seems limited by preset messages you set before you left- can you message for help without a full-out emergency response?

Thanks
Alba

buck nash
06-27-2011, 02:17 PM
I don't have a spot, but I am thinking about getting one.

I broke a timing belt once about 40k from the highway. It all turned out ok- I just had a really long walk. But I was wondering about SPOT in a situation like that- I don't want to alert every emergency person within 500 miles when I am not hurt, but I could still use some assistance. It seems limited by preset messages you set before you left- can you message for help without a full-out emergency response?

Thanks
Alba

There is a non-emergency help button which signals whoever you set it up to notify but as you say it is limited to whatever preset message you set up prior to your trip. Still better than f-all The newer units allow you to network to your smartphone and send text messages one way but this service costs more.

emerson
06-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Who owns a rifle they don't actually need.... Yes? Then you have wasted enough money for several years of wilderness 911 service. Wheels and tires for a truck that didn't need them??? I could go on and on. Have you ever bought a pair of boots, maybe a pack you could do without? Do you really NEED that new phone? A pair of sunglasses/shoes/golf clubs or a few cartons of smokes? How much do you spend on alcohol in a year? It costs me $150 to fill up my truck with fuel. There may be other reasons to avoid a SPOT, but the yearly cost (a grizz tag cost $80 for shit's sake) isn't one of them. Would you spend the money to get a big grizzly mounted?? My internet costs $70/month.

Mountain Man
06-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Just did a 10 day griz hunt and hit ok aprox 3-4 per day, the partners wife was able to go on line and track our every move and look at live pictures of where we were at the time. Its a great device, we had the original and now there is a new smaller model yet !

Just make sure your not at the girlfriends house when you press "ok" or the wife may drop by !

cruiser
06-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Been considering the SPOT versus a personal locator beacon. The PLB won't send messages or do google tracking, but apperantly has a stronger signal for emergencies than the SPOT. PLB is a higher one-time fee, no annual costs after that. But I do like the idea of the OK message with the SPOT, so I may end up going that way after all. Very best would be a GPS unit with an emergency beacon capability.
Anyone else look into the other options?

Ciskman
06-27-2011, 06:00 PM
One of the advantages of a PLB is that they will send out a signal on that can be tracked/homed by SAR aircraft as well.

A PLB will be a direct link to the Joint Rescue Co-or Center who will launch the appropriate resource. SPOT can not be homed by aircraft but does send an exact GPS grid that is relayed to JRCC. Seeing as how it works on the GPS system/satellites it would be interesting to know if it loses reception in heavy canopied forests, canyons etc. or becomes less accurate as some GPSs do.

06-27-2011, 07:03 PM
One of the advantages of a PLB is that they will send out a signal on that can be tracked/homed by SAR aircraft as well.

A PLB will be a direct link to the Joint Rescue Co-or Center who will launch the appropriate resource. SPOT can not be homed by aircraft but does send an exact GPS grid that is relayed to JRCC. Seeing as how it works on the GPS system/satellites it would be interesting to know if it loses reception in heavy canopied forests, canyons etc. or becomes less accurate as some GPSs do.

Ciskman,

I have a first generation spot and the GPS receiver on it is very weak. In tall timber it very often doesn't pickup the satellites. I know because when I have looked at my track online there would be very large gaps when I was walking in big timber.

Ciskman
06-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Interesting for sure, but I guess that makes sense.

JeffR
06-27-2011, 08:28 PM
I have one and I wouldn't go hunting without it. It is a great tool. I found an online promo code and got the track progress function for free, and I actually find it useful now that I have it. If you go to the spot adventures page http://www.spotadventures.com/ you can map out your tracks. People at home can see your current location in real time. Also, after you come home, you can load your photos on to the page. The website matches your tracks to the time stamp on the photos, and places each photo on the map in the location you were in when the photo was taken. Cool little feature.

As for it causing people to take additional risks, I don't think I would agree with that. I think people take plenty of risks in the backcountry as it is, this just ensures you get to come home after. I don't think planning ahead for the worst makes it a self fulfilling prophecy. If it does, you had better leave the first-aid kit / rain gear / map & compass home too so you don't take additional risks in those areas either.

Barracuda
06-27-2011, 09:27 PM
failing to prepare is prepareing to fail. no one is saying not to prepare nor are they saying not to adapt improvise and overcome .

there is a big differance between haveing yourself prepared to deal with an issue as oppossed to haveing a help button to press if you get your self into trouble .

i understand its usefullness but how many see it as needed as oppossed to wanted. If and when its priced right it is on my list as an extra indulgance .

do you realize how many folks dont use a compass and only know how to turn on a GPS?

Hello OnStar .

Gateholio
06-27-2011, 09:41 PM
I know how to use a compass because I grew up using one,but I gotta admit, I don't even know where mine is right now, as I haven't used it since I started using a GPS over a decade ago. :)

bc mike
06-27-2011, 09:50 PM
I agree with Barracuda. Wherever I go climbing, hiking or hunting the prep work is being prepared for self rescue. Not just packing the necessary equipment but knowing how to use it and pratice. Knowing what your limits are. I don't go with anyone unless they have the same respect. The spot could be a useful tool but only in the most extreme distress and not for me. I would be thankful but very embarrassed to be rescued as it would be my personal failure.

JeffR
06-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm not saying don't be prepared, I just think that as technology changes, you can add new tools as part of that preparation. I think I am very prepared when I go out, but I realize that as much as I try and plan for any scenario, shit happens and the unexpected can come up. If it does, I wouldn't feel embarrassed about having a connection to the outside world anymore than I would be embarrassed about having to use any other bit of gear to get myself out.

buck nash
06-27-2011, 11:07 PM
I agree with Barracuda. Wherever I go climbing, hiking or hunting the prep work is being prepared for self rescue. Not just packing the necessary equipment but knowing how to use it and pratice. Knowing what your limits are. I don't go with anyone unless they have the same respect. The spot could be a useful tool but only in the most extreme distress and not for me. I would be thankful but very embarrassed to be rescued as it would be my personal failure.

I'd be embarrassed too and would only use it as a last resort but it'd be more embarrassing if there'd been search parties looking for you for the past two weeks while your family was home worrying.

I think that most people use these devices because they are safety concsious and probably are prepared for self rescue from most senarios. This is an extra tool for those senarios that you can't get yourself out of no matter how prepared you are and gives loved ones some peace of mind. Also allows greater flexibility when you change plans as you can still allow others to know where you are.

CanuckShooter
06-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Batteries...no one talks about the batteries....simple AAs?? Or some expensive lithium only made to fit the spot???

Found a poor fellow once who was relying in his gps in -25....and his batteries died, the poor bugger didn't even know how to find his way back to his truck......thus the question about batteries????????????????????????

Buck
06-28-2011, 05:04 AM
Batteries...no one talks about the batteries....simple AAs?? Or some expensive lithium only made to fit the spot???

Found a poor fellow once who was relying in his gps in -25....and his batteries died, the poor bugger didn't even know how to find his way back to his truck......thus the question about batteries????????????????????????

My spot connect came with AA 1.5 Volt Lithium batteries and they are good for extreme cold.

http://faq.findmespot.com/index.php?action=showEntry&data=1330#informer

pnbrock
06-28-2011, 06:12 AM
buck battery life shown was room temperature!

digger dogger
06-28-2011, 07:48 AM
After i dislocated my shoulder while hunting, my gf got me an iridium sat phone. Pretty expencive route to go but, the piece of mind it gives the family flying in, or out hunting with the kids is invaluable. Also telling the pilot or him telling you what the wheather is like for pick-up(early or late), or telling the pilot we have moved locations. BiG BoaR and I went into the spatsizi, he would spot our location, and give the we're o.k, then on game nights we would call for the scores. We moved about 6-7 miles from where we were dropped of and the day before pick-up we phoned and told the pilot where we had relocated to, then called again in the morning to go over wheather.
The price of the sat phone and hook-up + 200 mins, is 10 times the price of the spot, and about 400 a year to keep connected. As people have said, spot= good cheap insurance

Barracuda
06-28-2011, 09:34 AM
I think a big part of the SPOTS allure is the whole staying connected thing and techno junkie stuff.
If being safe is an issue then Beacons have been available for ages but few folks even considered them.

many people do like to spend money no matter if they have it or not so a couple of hundred to them is acceptable. For others no matter how much they have they are careful to put money where it will work the best for them.

kuiu
06-28-2011, 10:01 AM
I think a big part of the SPOTS allure is the whole staying connected thing and techno junkie stuff.
If being safe is an issue then Beacons have been available for ages but few folks even considered them.

many people do like to spend money no matter if they have it or not so a couple of hundred to them is acceptable. For others no matter how much they have they are careful to put money where it will work the best for them.

We get it, your too cheap to buy one so you think they are a waste of money..... Thats not what this thread is asking! He is looking for reviews from people who own them! Leave it alone.

I think they are a great thing. I hunt solo 95% of the time and the wife use to worry about me all the time. Since getting the Spot, she has been fine with me heading out solo. I send a few ok message a day and a message if I get something to let her know I'll be late. That alone is worth the $99 a year. The SOS option is a bonus. I don't think it causes me to take extra risks a all.

Barracuda
06-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I said no such thing . I dont think they are a waste of money and i would get one if i needed it but because it is a want item(for us) and not a need item the priceing has to be such that it reflects this.

If staying connected is important then it fits the bill and is the right tool for the job, if safety is the only issue then a beacon fits the bill.

The price which was also a consideration for the original poster is a factor and a persons priorities and obligations must also be weighed against the price. A better pricing on svc would make it easier to swallow for many folks.

Seems to be some insecure people defending the position they took against a perceived slight when there was none.

madrona sh
06-28-2011, 10:39 AM
I was thinking of renting a sat phone for working the trapline. But now I think i'll go with the Spot.

MillBay
06-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Its amazing how a simple question and a good one about a product review gets so much expertise and wisdom but mostly from the people that don't own one, can't figure that out. 100 bucks a year chump change, whats your cable TV worth? I'm going to buy one for a few reasons but not one of them will mean I'm not prepared to be out where I am or take greater risks or a techno junkie. I didn't think the original question was to hard to understand.

Gateholio
06-28-2011, 01:06 PM
I said no such thing . I dont think they are a waste of money and i would get one if i needed it but because it is a want item(for us) and not a need item the priceing has to be such that it reflects this.

If staying connected is important then it fits the bill and is the right tool for the job, if safety is the only issue then a beacon fits the bill.

I thought the beacons were radio signals? So they relied on a plane passing overhead to pick up the signal? Or do they have GPS beacons these days?

Barracuda
06-28-2011, 01:16 PM
I thought the beacons were radio signals? So they relied on a plane passing overhead to pick up the signal? Or do they have GPS beacons these days?

http://www.nss.gc.ca/site/Emergency_Beacons/main_e.asp (http://www.nss.gc.ca/site/Emergency_Beacons/main_e.asp)

http://www.cospas-sarsat.org/index.p...mid=56&lang=en (http://www.cospas-sarsat.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=168&Itemid=56&lang=en)

McSledder
06-28-2011, 01:41 PM
I have one love it for the piece of mind it give the family I use it mostly when out snowmobiling in the mountains the SOS and Help features are piece of mind for me but like stated above does not make me risk my life more I can hit the button if burried in a slide have not had to use the SOS button but I am very curious as to what would happen as far as rescue time and transport type ie. guys come in on sleds or helicopter etc..

buck nash
06-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Kinda sounds like the spot except without the ability to send an ok signal. Also you have to hit the sos button for sar to find you or does it always emit a signal? The spot can be set up to keep a constant track on you. What's the cost of a unit and is there a service/activation fee?

Just curious as I would still prefer the spot so that my family can know where I am and that I'm ok especially since I often go out alone.

Gateholio
06-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Those look liek a decent option but aren't nearly as versatile as even the Gen 1 SPOT. It's either SOS or nothing, so no arranging to get picked up or letting your buddies know to bring you beer. :)

Ciskman
06-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Heres a *******ized version of how things work through my experience...

PLBs send a 406 digital signal to the Search and Rescue Satellite System (SARSAT) that alerts the Joint Rescue Co-or Center.(this is not a GPS signal) Once turned on(you must activate it it does not emit a signal the entire time) the satalites receive it and send you location to the JRCC who will activate SAR resources. They also emit a 121.5 freq that SAR aircraft can home in on. They are more expensive up front but ,as far as I know, there is no activation fee.
You can register online with all your info, medical conditions etc..

SPOT sends a signal through the GPS satellites to a call center that then will give your location to JRCC. Aircraft cannot home it and will fly search patterns until they locate you.

From being on searches involving both types, in my experience a PLB is faster to locate compared to a SPOT. Worst case scenario is you wait a little longer for ground SAR teams to conduct a search an locate you.

Barracuda
06-28-2011, 03:02 PM
sat transmission also .

RJ
06-28-2011, 03:20 PM
I can see the PLB's and EPIRBS being better for out on the ocean, as you could drift a fair ways by the time help is on the way.
I just think back to last summer when that fishing boat when down off Vancouver Island. If one of those guys had a Spot, perhaps things might have turned out different. Its great for hunting no doubt, but when Im fishing offshore with no one else in sight it's very reassuring. Things can happen quickly and you might not have time to get a message out on the VHF.

It's like all my other insurance. Hope to never need it, and hope to never have to use it.

Ciskman
06-28-2011, 03:51 PM
At the risk of getting off the original question...

Any of you hardcore Pacific fishermen would benefit from a EPIRB more then a PLB or SPOT. EPIRBS are waterproof and submersion activated(MOST not all are submersion activated, be sure to check) PLBs arent all waterproof and a SPOT is waterproof to 1m for 30 minutes.

More important is to wear VISIBLE clothing and wear your lifejackets. Even if your boat goes down with the EPIRB, the EPIRB will activate and a search by air and sea will be on the way. Color and flotation are your friend and cannot be stressed enough. As well SAR aircraft are equipped with data marker beacons that can be dispatced from your last known position and transmit the Oceans drift/current characteristics that inform JRCC which direction you have gone.

seanps
06-28-2011, 06:10 PM
I'll chime in too. I've had the SPOT for about eight months. Take it with me on every outdoor trip and am very happy with it.

JeffR
06-29-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't know if I would want to own the Delorme GPS/Spot model though. Kind of seems like putting all your eggs in one basket. I like the idea of my GPS and spot being separate pieces of equipment.

22savage
06-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I don't know if I would want to own the Delorme GPS/Spot model though. Kind of seems like putting all your eggs in one basket. I like the idea of my GPS and spot being separate pieces of equipment.

I think the delorme gps and spot are separate pieces of equipment . I believe the spot will still function if the gps goes down.