PDA

View Full Version : fishing advice

dougster
06-26-2011, 07:58 AM
So im new to the island, used to be a Kamloops boy. I am looking for some fishing advice. I live in Sooke and would like to know if anyone would be willing to share some good shore fishing for salmon?? PM me if you are willing to help a budding conservationist and hunter... I give me word that any place you share with me will remain confidential if that is your desire!
thanks a ton... need to bbq a salmon to justify the new rod

MillBay
06-26-2011, 09:11 AM
There is really no secret spot from shore, just luck of the draw, any place you cast from may be fair (you have to be rally lucky to find good) one day and not the next. The places that are the best are well know and easy to find such as fishing off Beacher head, but not always easy to fish off of. You will find the trout fishing disappointing on the island to what you are use to in Kamloops.

Tuffcity
06-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Sheringham Point area, lots of places to try in East Sooke Park to Beechy Head. Closer to Victoria you could try off the Uplands golf course, 10 Mile Point and below the Queen Alexandra hospital.

RC

greenhorn
06-26-2011, 09:56 AM
If you can get yourself a kayak or canoe you can really slay salmon off Gordon's beach. This year is a pink year so you'll be busy if you get out.

My buddy and I kayak fish alot off Gordon's and have caught alot of salmon there. It's a nice place because you troll pretty close to shore and if you watch the tides it can be pretty easy going. PM me if you want details.

steel_ram
06-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Interestingly, salmon were commercially harvested from shore along what is now East Sooke Park with traps. (ie. "The Trap Shack). So the salmon traditionally did hug the shore. My largest Chinook was caught from a boat within casting distance of Beechy Head. It is fishable from shore. About a 30 min walk from Aylard Farm Parking lot.

The rocks off Otter point were good at times as well. Haven't been there in a while. Parking was tricky.

In the fall fishing of the mouth of Sooke River is fun. You'd have to double check for closers, but it is tidal and salmon, including Chums are in still in good shape and a hoot on light tackle.

Sooke Hunter
07-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Sheringham Point area, lots of places to try in East Sooke Park to Beechy Head. Closer to Victoria you could try off the Uplands golf course, 10 Mile Point and below the Queen Alexandra hospital.

RC
Off Royal Victoria Golf Course

hunter1947
07-01-2011, 02:23 AM

RC

I agree X2.

hunter1947
07-01-2011, 02:25 AM
Interestingly, salmon were commercially harvested from shore along what is now East Sooke Park with traps. (ie. "The Trap Shack). So the salmon traditionally did hug the shore. My largest Chinook was caught from a boat within casting distance of Beechy Head. It is fishable from shore. About a 30 min walk from Aylard Farm Parking lot.

The rocks off Otter point were good at times as well. Haven't been there in a while. Parking was tricky.

In the fall fishing of the mouth of Sooke River is fun. You'd have to double check for closers, but it is tidal and salmon, including Chums are in still in good shape and a hoot on light tackle.

Good advice X2..

5 spike
07-01-2011, 05:01 AM
when i went to school down there i would go coho fishing at otter point off the rocks. not sure if the regs still allow you to fish there or not. 10 mile point took a 25 pound spring off there. good luck.

steel_ram
07-01-2011, 09:19 AM
I to had some great fishing off 10 mile point, and even the Oak Bay marina (anyone remember that fishery?), but again that was some time ago, when the needle fish were thick. Many of the best "Victoria" shore fishing spots last time I visited were occupied by new Canadians, who were pretty impartial to what they take. Fortunately the OP is living in Sooke.

Spy
07-01-2011, 10:13 AM
The Break water at Ogden point is another spot.I have caught bass off their & salmon & lots of kelp!:-D

MillBay
07-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Yes I remember those days in Victoria. 10 mile point, clover point even in Ross Bay you could catch a nice spring now and then. For the new guy just because the boats are within casting distance and catching fish dosn't mean you will. Trolling covers a lot more ground and you are using better gear than you are from shore using a buzz bomb or stinger or what ever. I have been on the shore heaving my line for hours getting squat with all the rest of the guys on shore while the boats are hauling them in. Not that jerk fishing can't be good but it's better from a boat also.

Wood butcher
07-02-2011, 07:20 AM
I think you should try and make a new friend that has a boat. :-D
Once you get out there you will not want to fish from shore anymore. Ask one of your new neighbours to take you out (if they have a boat)and you could pay the fuel.

Bow Walker
07-02-2011, 08:45 AM
The best advice that I can think of is to drop in to Eagle Eye Outfitters in Sooke - they are located right next to the Post Office - and talk to Ron. He'll fill you in on the local salmon scene. He will give you explicit directions to two different spots where people fish from shore. One is in East Sooke Park and the other is just north of town.

Ron also runs two charter boats and is very active in the local fishing scene. He knows.

Jagermeister
07-02-2011, 09:05 AM
I would never consider living in Sooke unless I had the pleasure of owning a boat, it would be like living at Sun Peaks and not having skis.
They just go hand in hand; Sooke.....boat, Sooke.....boat, Sooke.....boat and so on.

Jagermeister
07-02-2011, 09:13 AM
I would never consider living in Sooke unless I had the pleasure of owning a boat, it would be like living at Sun Peaks and not having skis.
They just go hand in hand; Sooke.....boat, Sooke.....boat, Sooke.....boat and so on.I'm sorry for hijacking but this has to be brought to the attention of Spinks and it is the only way I see that happening due to technical difficulties.
Spinks, if you look at my previous post, you will see the word "not" duplicated. This is not an error on my part and I have had this happen in other posts I have made and have seen the duplication in the posts of others too.
Okay gang, carry on with the flavour of the day.

Whonnock Boy
07-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I do not see two nots.

Jagermeister
07-02-2011, 03:53 PM
it would be like living at Sun Peaks and not having skis. Well, I copied the aforementioned and I do not see two nots in it either, yet from my end the nots are there in my original post, go figure!:confused:

NaStY
07-02-2011, 07:30 PM
it would be like living at Sun Peaks and not having skis. Well, I copied the aforementioned and I do not see two nots in it either, yet from my end the nots are there in my original post, go figure!:confused:

Maybe your having an old timer moment. I dont see two "nots".....

Bow Walker
07-02-2011, 08:44 PM
They just go hand in hand; Sooke.....boat, Sooke.....boat, Sooke.....boat and so on.
Instead of a "hole in the ocean, into which you pour money" why not get a couple of quads abd some camping gear and then go exploring?

TDoyle
07-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Any thoughts on river fishing this time of year around Victoria/South Island?