PDA

View Full Version : 7-41 Bull Moose

Sixgill
06-25-2011, 09:45 PM
I drew a Bull Moose tag this year. Area looks like it has limited access and i am hoping to get some local knowledge to assist with the planning of this trip.

From my initial assessment i have 2 options : drive in by truck or attempt access by Boat. The drive looks to be 6+ hours via logging road from Mackenzie. The boat trip looks like i would be a nightmare based on what i have read with regards to weather and deadheads.

If anyone has some pointers/advice it would be appreciated.

little moose
06-28-2011, 05:53 PM
avoid the locals andget sa far back in as you can if you have a boat and there is enough water there is some great hunting for moose and goat up the akie.

nelly280neil
07-05-2011, 07:05 PM
watch out for rouge natives been a few camps totaly gutted best to take camp gaurd

moosinaround
07-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Build a fort when you get there. The locals will scalp you and sell your women as slaves!! It's the wild west up there, no rules every man for himself!! I'd just forget it and eat beef this year! I'll let ya know how it goes as I am heading up with a war party and some cavalry!

Ummm, you just have to be respectful, and it is best to be out of sight out of mind. Leave the booze at home, and if you do take it, don't advertise! Stay out of spots that look like they have semi perm shelters, the natives use those. There are out of the way spots you can camp where you wont be disturbed. I have worked up there, fished in the rivers, and left equipment up there on days off, and never had any issues with the locals, EVER!! I would drive up, it is a long ways up there, take lots of extra stuff. I would take double spare tires for every piece of rolling stock, Seriously!!! Take lots of gas, and be absolutely self sufficient for the entire time you are up there. Heading into Tsey Key is just advertising, and you don't need the publicity!! They do have stuff there if you are in a pinch though!! Cash is king, I ALWAYS had a few hundred bucks on me just in case, used it a couple time at the Tsey key general store, dam frost heaves!!! It is a beautiful chunk of country!! I have seen elk, moose, the biggest black bear and Grizz I have ever seen, caribou, and the dollie fishing is CRAZY!!!!!! Go have fun shoot a moose and post pics so I can drool over the Pesika, the Akie, the Paul, and the Kwadacha, all wonderful rivers and drainages to explore. Head to the back end of the Mine Road to the old exploration site, it is a wonderful drive to the top of the world. Take the nice stroll through the alpine up there, it is awesome. Moosin

tater
07-08-2011, 12:59 AM
I've hunted 7-41 twice, and the last time (two or three years ago) i had a letter included with my LEH explaining the desire of the local Dene nation to make contact prior to hunting. We followed through, and despite the band CO not showing as arranged, the Chief of the Tsek' Ene or Kwadacha (at Ft. ware) was gracious and took the time to discuss areas, and some of their concerns over specific harvest and some of the problems encountered in the past with non-locals using native camps and being disrespectful.

We had ZERO problems with the locals, and as a matter of fact, one of the council members went out of his way to check in on the way to his camp and make sure we were being respected and our camp left alone. Admittedly, it took effort and time, but it showed us that a little courtesy and respect is often repaid in kind.

The country is rugged, and because of the limited road access there is a high chance of encountering either locals , other moose hunters, or fall grizzly tag holders. If you want more info, PM me.

Sixgill
07-12-2011, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the information guys, i really appreciate it. I have decide to run the truck in, spending god know how much to get everything set up but i think i will be in good form.

Yes i got the check in letter along with my LEH tags so i will take the time to contact them and see how that all pans out.

Hopefully it will be a memorable adventure of the good kind.