PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow advantages? Hunting kills with one?

BiG Boar
06-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi guys,

I have hunted and taken animals with many different methods. Rifles, shotguns, sling shot, compound bow, recurve bow (hopefully this year), and even pistols, and spears. The most common weopon I havent hunted with is a crossbow! I am sure there are a few purists out there who only like to hunt a certain way, with a certain tool. However I am always looking at trying new ways and animals to hunt.

For people who have hunted with them or shot them seriously, what are the advantages and disadvantages? Are they much faster than a compound bow? Are they flatter shooting? Are they just as lethal, more lethal or less? I understand they are easier to shoot. Can you shoot farther with them, easier? Why do you use one? And what animals have you taken with one?

I DO NOT WANT THIS TURNING INTO A CROSSBOW BASHING THREAD.

Keep it serious, I want to learn about something new here.

troutseeker
06-25-2011, 04:54 PM
I find that I can shoot farther with a crossbow than a bow. I limit my shots with bow to 40 yards, but would not hesitate to shoot a deer or moose at 70 yards with my Excalibur crossbow. To me, they are just as lethal as a bow, easier to hold on target and of course with their scopes easier to shoot accurately.

To me the big advantage is that I don't need to practice as much as I do with my bow to keep on hitting that bulleye. Groups are smaller, I can shoot it farther, holding on target is a piece of cake and it is deadly. What's not to like?

SimilkameenSlayer
06-25-2011, 05:12 PM
also a re-curve xbow is simpler than a compound bow, advantage xbow.

fireguy
06-25-2011, 05:13 PM
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x477/fireguy4/2010MuleDeer.jpg[/IMG]
I have found there are both advantages and disadvantages while hunting with a crossbow. I'm no expert, by any means but have hunted with both compound bow and rifle for years.
Let me start with some advantages that I have noticed. They are very accurate, when shooting at targets, you should pick a different target for each shot in orde to save money on replacing bolts as you will probably hit the shot before and destroy your bolt. for those used to shooting a rifle, the feel is much like that of a rifle. They shoot fast and have a extremly flat with a lot of kinetic energy, thus making them extremly lethal, shot placement is no different than any other weapon of course. can you shoot farther, probably farther that compound bows of old, but with todays compounds, probably the same distance. i am deadly on the range to 70 yards with mine but wouldn't shoot an animal at that range, to many variables, and targets don't move. If you have a disability and still want to go bow hunting, they are the only way.

Disadvantages: they are big, cumbersome and heavier than a bow, and the way I hunt a compound bow would actually be easier. They take time to reload, you can't just pull an arrow from the quiver pull back and let fly, you are probably only going to get one shot.

Why do I use one, because I like them and I can. They put a little challange into hunting, and for that reason I'm going to try something this year that probably very rarely has ever happened and try to harvest a goat with mine.

Give one a try, you never know, you might like them.

Bow Walker
06-25-2011, 05:40 PM
What everybody else said.

Crossbows are heavier than your average rife (and definitely heavier than a compound bow), they are almost always limited to one shot at the animal (if it's of the "big game" variety.

But other than those two slight disadvantages, I can see no reason not to use one. They do have a greater range than any other type of archery equipment.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-25-2011, 05:52 PM
While I havent hunted with a crossbow ... I have shot them ... and find them to be comparible in range and power with my Compound bows ...

however with a lighter bolt ... they retain less energy at further ranges than a compound bow does ...

They are easier to shoot for those that are used to a long rifle compared to a compound bow ...

I have taken animals at what some seem to think is an unethical range (60 ish yard) with a compound .... Under the right conditions I would have no issue with taking an animal at further range (Calm .. broadside 1/4rd slightly away, feeding etc...) The lighter bolt of a Crossbow and the physics involved, along with the physical makeup of the bolt (forward motion robbing fletching etc...) wont make that much of a differance at 50 yards ... but at 100 or so the energy retention would be conserably less on a 300 grain bolt than a 400 grain "arrow" ...

Inside the generally accepted "ethical" bow range ... they(crossbows) are no differant than compounds

mark
06-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Biggest disadvantage is the weight, and awkward to carry! Loud Ptwang sound as well! I can reload one nearly as fast a compund though!
Less movement to shoot if sitting in a blind!

Never seen a thread with the word crossbow in it that didnt get locked.....so....IBTL :-D

358win
06-25-2011, 07:55 PM
I have both and find the cocking of a X-bow by hand isn't as acurate as my compound. You can use a string cocker but that is just more equipment to pack and ends up being easier to hunt with my compound.

huntwriter
06-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Using both, compound and crossbow for hunting, I found that the crossbow has more disadvantages than the compound. The horizontal limbs make the crossbow less maneuverable than a vertical bow, which for me is the biggest disadvantage. If you're a spot and stalk hunter the weight of a crossbow (most weigh around seven pounds) is a consideration. Shooting distance of a crossbow is much longer than the compound bow but the shorter arrows quickly loose speed and energy. On that subject I am of the opinion that the crossbow and compound bow are about equal for killing effectiveness distance. The crossbow is a much easier weapon to become proficient with than the compound bow.

With all that said, I find the crossbow a perfect hunting weapon for stationary hunting tactics, like treestand or ground blind, and a good addition to a hunters archery arsenal. As has been pointed out recurve crossbows are better in my opinion than compound crossbows. They're easier to maintain, string can be changed in the field if needed and less can go wrong and less to worry about.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Can I ask ... why everyone is of the opinion that a Crossbow is more accurate at a further range than a Compound ???

If you take the time and know what your equipment will do at any given range both are equally as accurate in my opinion ...
this goes for all bows, Crossbows and any firearm for that matter ...

huntwriter
06-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Can I ask ... why everyone is of the opinion that a Crossbow is more accurate at a further range than a Compound ???

If you take the time and know what your equipment will do at any given range both are equally as accurate in my opinion ...

I often wondered about that too. Actually I find, at least in my case, that the crossbow is less accurate at long distance than my compound bow or my firearms. The reason for that may be in the fact that, unlike rifles and certainly regular bows, the crossbow is not well balanced. They are front heavy.

Mountaintop
06-25-2011, 10:09 PM
I started hunting just last season and did a lot of research on which weapon would be right for me. I settled on the crossbow because I can only use bow or shotgun where I live and due to an old shoulder injury I had problems with a regular compound bow. I got an Excalibur Exocet. Advantages were that it was an easier transition from a rifle, was deadly accurate and you can mount a scope. Disadvantages are that they are a bit heavy and with a recurve like the Excalibur can be a bit wide going through treed areas. Recurve crossbows have the advantage of being able to change a string in the field if you need to. Using a rope cocker will keep each draw centered and is not too hard to carry, I just roll it up and stick it in my jacket pocket. Mounting a quiver is a bit strange on the Excalibur as it hangs off one side tipping the bow a bit so I just carry one arrow and don't use a quiver though am considering a hip or shoulder quiver this year. Overall, like any weapon you will do well with a little practice. As for results, I kept my shots to about 30 yards or less and tagged out in my first season.

Big Lew
06-25-2011, 10:59 PM
When I first started with archery equipment, I had a re-curve crossbow and a relatively forgiving duel-cam compound. The crossbow was easiest to be accurate with right away, but was very cumbersome and heavy, being a huge burden for "spot and stalk", especially when trying to sneak through thickets, even when following game trails through normal standing timber. It wasn't long before I was confident enough with the compound bow out to 40 yards, and gave the crossbow away. I suspect that the majority of healthy hunters,(not referring to you specifically) especially young ones, are asking about crossbows, looking for something similar to a rifle so that they don't have to put in the practice time required to be proficient with other types of archery equipment. I also am not suggesting there's anything wrong with that, but to-days compounds have never been easier to be accurate with, are more compact, weigh considerably less, and carry more energy at long distances. As an example, I've just purchased a 2011 pse dream season set up for me by Wayne at Big Game Archery. Within the first few shots, I'm as accurate with it as my older pse that I've fine-tuned and used for many years, and it packs a far greater punch.

willyqbc
06-26-2011, 09:47 AM

It is percieved that the crossbow is more accurate because you can get acceptable accuracy much sooner with the X-bow rather than the time it takes to get really good with a compound.

I own both a recurve x-bow and a rack full of compounds
Some observations comparing the 2

learning curve - adv x-bow

loading and reloading - compound is quicker, but you do not have to draw the x-bow when game is near as it can be pre-loaded

weight/manouverability - adv compound

speed - initial speed adv goes to the x-bow

trajectory - although the x-bow bolt starts out faster, the short bolt bleeds energy way faster than a conventional arrow and past 40 yards the compound overtakes the x-bow as far as flatter trajectory goes. At 50 or 60 yrds the difference is quite substantial

Accuracy - the best comparison I can give is from the 3D nationals that were held in Ontario a few years back. They had a very big X-bow category and if you compare the score with the ladies or mens compound that shot from the same stake as the X-bow's it is very clear that the compound outperforms

so my overall thoughts......if you want the quicker easier way to get into bowhunting go with the x-bow, they are certainly lethal weapons. If you are willing to put the time in to get really good with a compound I believe they deliver better overall performance.

Just my opinion
Chris

Bow Walker
06-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Mikey, I am of the opinion (through observation and reading) that the crossbow is far more accurate than the compound bow is - for the newcomer to archery. As some have said, the transition from rifle to crossbow is a no-brainer, and the accuracy is further enhanced through the use of a (typically 4 power) scope.

Shooting a crossbow is just like shooting a rifle - which 99% of people have at least an idea of the mechanics involved in the process. Shooting a compound requires a whole different skill set - learning the proper shooting form to be consistent and accurate is (for some people) very hard to do. There's just too much to think about during the drawing, aiming, and release process for some people to assimilate let alone to remember and actually do, each and every shot.

Crossbows are inherently more accurate (because of the way in which they are fired - like a gun) and because of that, they have a greater accuracy range than compounds - FOR THE AVERAGE SHOOTER.

Anyone who spends the required amount of time and effort to learn compound bow "shooting form", and has the where-with-all to practice regularly and get to know their equipment, will (in my opinion) always out shoot (score) a crossbow shooter.

There - the challenge is out.

new hunter
06-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Ive got a buddy with a horton crossbow in #160 , he is very accurate with it within the appropriate range { under 70yrds I believe } and although i have never taken him up on his offer to borrow it I would be comfortable pursuing large game with it.
For me the atraction to hunting with a bow is the primitive nature of the weapon so I only hunt with my handmade primitive self bow , and I would not spend the 1300 bucks my buddy did on anything lesss than a high end rifle .
However if you want the challenge of getting within bow range , like the extra poundage a crossbow can provide and want the accuracy a rifle stock can provide then yeah buy a crossbow.

savagecanuck
06-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I am one of those rifle hunters that has had a X bow to extend my season.I do like the fact that with limited time and practise I can be real accurate with my Xbow.My first xbow was a compound and after 5 yrs use and 2 4 point muleys I decided to trade up to an Excalibur equinox.I find the recurve bow to be larger and more cumbersome but also more accurate.I do have to use a cocking aid and still have to be a very good judge of distance as I do not own a range finder.I have only practiced out too 60yds with my new Excalibur and find it to be a very accurate weapon and look forward to the upcoming hunting season

fireguy
06-28-2011, 12:05 PM
I have learned a great deal about crossbows, different makes, models ect from talking to people that have a great interest in them. I am by no means an expert but have found a forum that is dedicated to crossbows, shooting, hunting, and anything you would want to know.
Crossbownation.com has people on it that will answer any questions, including reps from different manufactuers that are a wealth of information.

SimilkameenSlayer
06-29-2011, 06:22 AM
of-course there is the pse tac15 ..... just another consideration.

GRIZZEZE
06-29-2011, 06:23 AM
I personally shoot a compound bow, but I have shot crossbows before. In my experience, I could shoot my compound bow with a 3-4" group at 60 yds, where as with the crossbow the best that I could do was about 8-9" group at 60 yds. This being said I am used to shooting my compound and just picked up the crossbow to try it out. The owner of the crossbow was able to shoot a 4" group at 60 yds fairly consistently. I have not hunted with a crossbow, but know some that have and the biggest thing that you have to watch out for is the limbs witting branches or trees beside you while shooting (especially with a scope). I guess while concentrating on your target it is very easy to forget about the limbs sticking out wider than your shoulders. I will continue to hunt with my compound, but if for some reason I was not able to shoot mu compound any more then I would buy a crossbow

fireguy
07-02-2011, 07:06 PM
http://www.petersenshunting.com/files/2011/06/PHxbow_graphic063011.gif (http://www.petersenshunting.com/files/2011/06/PHxbow_graphic063011.gif)

I found this on a petersons hunting blog, it is their test results with speeds cronographed at 36 inches from the bow and grouping at 30 yards. The crossbows tested were the respctful manufactuers 2011 new models. For the technical guys out there, you can figure out the kinetic energy ect from this data

Phreddy
07-02-2011, 07:42 PM
I have a PSE Beast compound and bought a Lockadraw for it due to arthritic problems in my shoulders. I have just mounted the lockadraw on it, but haven't had a chance to try it out as yet as I've been estremely busy. Had a crossbow but it just didn't feel like archery. Hope this works out.

pappy
07-02-2011, 07:55 PM
I shoot a little 150# horton crossbow, only for deer sized game. I've downed three deer with it and one grouse so far. One of the deer got a front shot between the neck and the brisket and the bolt went length ways down the buck all the way to the hide on its right rear quarter. I gave my compound away as I never used it after I bought my crossbow. I have been toying with the idea about a recurve if I ever buy another bow, till then I'll stick to my crossbow. I don't see any advantage other than practice time between the two.

mikeboehm
07-02-2011, 11:34 PM
i had a excalibur excocet and at 50 yards the bolt did not have much penetration into my target. yes they can be more accurate than a bow. but im shooting the omen pro and i have 8 inches penetration at 90 meters so i think it depends on the bow or crossbow your using. i sold the crossbow because i have way more fun with the compound bow

Mr. Dean
07-03-2011, 01:58 AM
You've been over to my place; I used to own one and became pretty darn good with it hitting pie plates from my neighbours property line, over to my spare drive way.... didn't like the 'clumsyness' of it while walking trails and sold it to a good friend who wanted it for his son. IMO they're meant for tree stands and such, which aren't meant for me.

Big Lew
07-03-2011, 07:40 AM
I agree with "Mr. Dean", when I read all the remarks and debates about which compound bow is preferred for hunting in the field, based on being a few ounces lighter than it's competition, and all around 4 lb. give or take, and crossbows are 8-11 pounds, there you go. I had both for a while many years ago, and found the crossbow far too heavy and cumbersome compared to my compound even for short trips in and around a cut block.

The Hermit
07-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I have a 225 lb recurve crossbow, 60lb compound, 55lb recurve, and 55lb longbows, and a few firearms of course.

The crossbow is too heavy and cumbersome for anything other than tree standing, and then the treestand would need to be as close to the truck as Fisher Dude's cooler is to his! I can't imagine carrying it up a mountain chasing elk thru the thick stuff all day in 30 degree early season weather. I would have to strap it on my back to climb the rocks and steep bits and even then it would be catching on brush and branches. I have the same issue to a lesser extent with compound bows which are much heavier than traditional gear, although spot and stalk hunting is certainly do-able. The recurve bow is heavier but shorter than the long bow so the trade-offs are more equal between them. My go-to weapon of choice is the longbow. When the freezer is bare the compound or firearms get a workout!

At forty yards, penetration is significantly better with the compound.

Accuracy - hands down the Limbsaver compound bow is the most accurate for me followed by the Maximus crossbow and then the traditional gear. So why is the longbow with less penetration and accuracy my go to bow? I got into bow hunting for the challenge of getting up close and personal! Yes I am totally confident out to much longer distances with the modern compound and crossbow machines but that isn't the point. If I can get to fifteen yards I will cleanly kill any game animal in North America with my longbow! That my friends is whats its all about!! Of course I'm not a trophy hunter and any longbow kill is a huge success for me!

Bow Walker
07-03-2011, 09:47 AM
I have a 225 lb recurve crossbow, 60lb compound, 55lb recurve, and 55lb longbows, and a few firearms of course.

The crossbow is too heavy and cumbersome for anything other than tree standing, and then the treestand would need to be as close to the truck as Fisher Dude's cooler is to his! I can't imagine carrying it up a mountain chasing elk thru the thick stuff all day in 30 degree early season weather. I would have to strap it on my back to climb the rocks and steep bits and even then it would be catching on brush and branches. I have the same issue to a lesser extent with compound bows which are much heavier than traditional gear, although spot and stalk hunting is certainly do-able. The recurve bow is heavier but shorter than the long bow so the trade-offs are more equal between them. My go-to weapon of choice is the longbow. When the freezer is bare the compound or firearms get a workout! ..........
Bill - sounds like you need to develop a strength conditioning regimen. Getting a wee bit long in the tooth??

The Hermit
07-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Bill - sounds like you need to develop a strength conditioning regimen. Getting a wee bit long in the tooth??

No my teeth are still good its my belly that seems to grow every year!

Big Lew
07-04-2011, 05:56 AM
Well, another one has admitted to joining the club! (and my teeth are good, I just bought a new set)

Bow Walker
07-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Now ain't that the truth!

aggiehunter
07-04-2011, 09:27 AM
My son bought an Excaliber Ibex last season...never bowhunted before....shot two whities....a nice 4 point and a doe....little practice....but close shots...we have affectionately named it the "machine" also.

tadpole
07-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Modern crossbows are nothing like old cumbersome and heavy clunkers with wide limbs of the past. I just upgraded to new TenPoint StealthXLT. It is new Extreme Limb Technology model and it is only 13" wide when cocked,and 17" uncocked. Weights only 7.6lb(bare) with 185lb, and shoots 420gr bolts at 320fps. I can comfortably hand load it quickly, stalk with it in a bush and shoot up to 70 yards in favorable conditions. New type of scope allows to adjust fps setting as well. Not bad for 1200 clams.:mrgreen::twisted:

3rdprizeyourfired
07-27-2011, 10:47 PM
X bow is fun to shoot, you will quickly gain confidence for several ranges given a mildot scope, use a sling if your arms get tired, hold the limbs verticle or carry with string resting on your shoulder and stock across your back for bushwacking, they do have a loud twang but every deer I shot with mine didn't care. My X bow was my bridge to recurve/long bow/compound bow hunting, all are great. ( Excal,,,thats what mine is)

argyle1
10-04-2011, 07:01 PM
I don't see where this comparison means anything as all these manufacturers have several models

russm86
10-05-2011, 08:33 AM
I have a recurve crossbow I bought as an intermediate step to get into bow hunting. This was my first season shooting and hunting with it. I can consistantly hit with ease out to 75yards and with the penetration im getting on the various targets i have shot would not hesitate taking a deer at that distance, not sure about larger game though.

Scope makes it similar in aiming to rifles and easier for beginners than a compound bow in my experience. X-bows are heavier and bulkier, more cumbersome, and you do really get just one shot due to the re-cocking time. Much slower for a follow up shot than a compound bow. Bows are also lighter. I don't have too much experience with compound bows yet so not sure about the comparison in shooting distance, if anything I think the hardest part for compound bows would be the aiming, i could see it taking a lot more practice than the x-bow.

Only other thing with compound bow is having to hold the string back where the x-bow locks back, but this is something that ones personal physical strength would decide on. If you are in reasonable shape to begin with, the newer compounds are relatively easy but you may still want to condition yourself to be able to hold longer.