PDA

View Full Version : Blue River Area

VanIslandGuy
06-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Anyone hunted the Blue River area before and had much success? Planning on making a trip around that area this fall and was curious what it like there. Any info on terrain, roads and what to expect would be great. Thanks!

MuleyMadness
06-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Expect snow and lots of it early in the year. Blue River seems to be in a heavy snow belt. The terrain is very mountainous, but there is a tremendous amount of access to various areas due to logging and the like in years gone past. Your best best is to get a backroads mapbook and spend time studying it....tons of options for you. It's beautiful country, and you will enjoy yourself a lot. Any area specifically you're looking at targeting? Do you have a moose draw?

MattB
06-25-2011, 04:21 PM
What are you looking to hunt there? Black bears and moose are about all you will find. I have only seen a handfull of deer there when working over summer. Road access can be iffy, alot of the blocks ive had to access i have to do so by foot due to the # of slumps on some of the roads. There also seems to be alot of trees across roads up there so make sure you bring a saw!

VanIslandGuy
06-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I will be up there for the long weekend of October looking for a goat in 3-43c. There is a imature bull moose opening and any buck for the long weekend. I will definetly be picking up one of those back road mapbooks as they come in hand. Have either of you seen any goats in the area?

dana
06-25-2011, 04:48 PM
It is the land of club and alder and it's steeper than the back of God's head. I've spent 20 years workin' and playin' in Blue River Country. What is it that you want to hunt? Please don't tell me you are another one that got enticed by the low odds for mountain goats. LMAO!!!

dana
06-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I will be up there for the long weekend of October looking for a goat in 3-43c. There is a imature bull moose opening and any buck for the long weekend. I will definetly be picking up one of those back road mapbooks as they come in hand. Have either of you seen any goats in the area?

Good luck to ya, you are going to need it. Most years the highcountry of Blue has a couple feet of snow by Thanksgiving. Heck, I've seen several inches in town that week, and town is in the valley bottom.

moosinaround
06-25-2011, 05:03 PM
When I was doing silviculture surveys up there it was Steep, wet, and cold. The brush was thick, yup rodo up high and thick. The Club was nasty as I ever seen it. Finished the contract and decided to stay in the central interior!! Lesson learned. Closest I ever get now is Valemount, and Mcbride, and it is just to pass through!! You gotta be tough or crazy to work in that part of the world, or both!!! Good luck hunting, Oh and LOTS of grizz so watch yourself!! Moosin

dana
06-25-2011, 05:32 PM
You gotta be tough or crazy to work in that part of the world, or both!!!

It is definately country that seperates the men from the boys. My wife's great grandparents homesteaded that country. They certainly built them tough in those days.

moosinaround
06-25-2011, 06:34 PM
It is definately country that seperates the men from the boys. My wife's great grandparents homesteaded that country. They certainly built them tough in those days.
Yup Dana, it is rugged for sure. Sure is beautiful though! The air has a different smell to it, kind of really feels good when you take a full lungs worth!!! The rodo in bloom is awesome! I would like to go back just to play, instead of work. Did see a fair amount of game, moose and bear wise! Might have a friend of ours retiring in Blue River, so might make a trip or two to visit him! Moosin

BlacktailStalker
06-25-2011, 06:39 PM
My buddy shot a stud of a buck that way a few years ago, maybe 5 or 6 actually. He didn't see a lot but what he saw was good.

Telkwa Hunter
06-25-2011, 07:31 PM
I've worked in that area. The bugs are big and hungry, almost as plentiful as the bears. I've seen some decent deer, mainly from Avola westward and there are moose around as well.

dana
06-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Here's a couple pics to give ya an idea of what the snow loads are like in the Blue River country. That is a 2 story cabin in the pics.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/July22142a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/July22136a.jpg

If you are going to hit the highcountry around Blue, you better be out of it before the 3rd week of Sept. That is normally when she starts piling up.

akyne
06-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Neat pics Dana...

06-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Got to agree with Dana,
I've hunted goats up there a few times, early season only. Devils club like I've never seen ! Nasty ! then sitting at 8600 I was almost carted away by Eagle Size HORSE FLIES nasty *******s bit through 2 shirts to make you whine like a school boy. As for Moose, join the rat race. Every hunter from Clearwater and Valemont pound the area. ....... for me any way a waste of a LEH moose tag. I won't be back as I like peace and quiet not TRUCK rallies.

By the way if you go, take a winch and a few thousand feet of cable or rope, it's either, up or down there, with a big flat in the bottom called a meadow.

CT

bigneily
06-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Here's a couple pics to give ya an idea of what the snow loads are like in the Blue River country. That is a 2 story cabin in the pics.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/July22142a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/July22136a.jpg

If you are going to hit the highcountry around Blue, you better be out of it before the 3rd week of Sept. That is normally when she starts piling up.
Would this cabin still be standing? I lived in BR for a short time as a kid, Reminds me of a cabin i hiked into as a young buck many moon's ago.

06-29-2011, 09:22 AM
sounds like its gonna be fun!

dana
06-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Would this cabin still be standing? I lived in BR for a short time as a kid, Reminds me of a cabin i hiked into as a young buck many moon's ago.

Yup it's still standing almost 70 years after it was built. My wife's great grandfather built it. We make the trek up to the cabin every summer. If you lived in Blue as a kid, it probably is the same cabin.