PDA

View Full Version : quad security

yote
08-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Usually we sleep in the truck on our way to interior hunts and we don't worry about the quads in the trailer. This year we won't be able to sleep in the truck and may take up in a motel on the way. What do you guys do to keep things safe? Do you worry about it? we may end up pitching a tent on the side of the road at 2:30 am somewhere but that doesn't sound like very much fun.

Cappy
08-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Heavy duty cable (kryptonite or the construction grade master locks) lock the quads to the trailer and a heavy lock on the hitch. Still worry about it, but what can you do?

Jelvis
08-22-2006, 12:35 PM
If your coming thru the loops, you should camp out where you can hear whats going on. Lots of quads and snow machines etc stolen up here. Thats our modern times. Sleep with one eye open, you're safer on a back road then near towns.

Fido
08-22-2006, 12:39 PM
they do make a cheap alarm, or if your truck is armed moveing the trailor would set it off. But lock the atv's to the trailor and to the truck is a must. Good luck on your hunt and keeping the atv's.

talver
08-22-2006, 12:56 PM
lock it up to the trailer and a personal feature that we like to use is my 165lb rottie that doesnt like stranger in the night

elkster
08-22-2006, 01:21 PM
If you're going thru P.G., stop anywhere but there, tis like the auto theft capital of canada. Lock em up good, sleep light and have a weapon handy. Three of my buddies in the last two years lost stuff in P.G. One was even staying on a farm outta town, they must have followed them and came back later. They even stole their underwear.

yote
08-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys. Sounds like I will be pitching a tent for a few hours sleep, no biggie. I don't want to risk it, I'll sleep better if I am close at hand.

Phred
08-22-2006, 02:53 PM
I'd either sleep in a camper, cab of the truck, or set up a tent.

I too avoid PG like the plague.

Schmaus
08-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Aww its not that badhttp://bestsmileys.com/angles/5.gif

I wouldn't leave my bike in my truck anywhere over night.

Radar
08-22-2006, 03:03 PM
I also use a wheel lock (lik a wheel clamp) on the trailer, you can get them from Canadain Tie for $80.

Rainwater
08-22-2006, 03:20 PM
If your headin back into town after a day of hunting and it's dark I'd leave my quad in the bush. We did that on a Moose hunt in Logan Lake and it worked perfect. Just make sure no ones around when you hide 'em back in the weeds. I felt safer doin that then leavin them in the truck at the motel.

BlacktailStalker
08-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Theres really that many quads etc jacked up there eh? Guys just back up to your truck and roll em into their box or what? Hopefully thats where the karma comes into play...

ruger#1
08-22-2006, 05:13 PM
make sure your receiver hitch is locked to your truck. my buddy had two quads and his trailer stolen, they just pulled the receiver and hooked it to theirs.get a sign made up that says, warning gps tracker on board.works for me.

BowsUp
08-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Check with local hotels about 24 hr security. The Bon Voyage in PG has it as theft is a major industry there.

ape
08-22-2006, 08:55 PM
If you are stopping in PG I can't offer you a bed but can offer a place to leave your quads for the night. I may also be able to put you up in my 5th wheel for the night. I am west of town if that is the way you are headed if not it may be a little out of your way but then what is piece of mind worth. PM me if you are interested.

300H&H
08-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Here is something soooo simple it works !!! If you are worried about your truck being jacked, remove the wire going to your ditributer. They will have to tow your truck to get it. I always back my truck or trailer up to a tree or building so the gate can not be lowered. Another thing Ive done is to tie fishing line from my quad to empty soup cans near the cabin so if any one trys to take it the noise will wake me & scare them off (befor I can shoot them). Buy insurance & GPS tracking system.

Freshtracks
08-22-2006, 09:47 PM
It just sucks when a fella has to worry about losing his slush fund toys when stopping for some shut eye.

I'm thinking this scenerio ... pasted across the front page of The Sun/Province is a pic of 2 or 3 lowlife thieves ... hanging from a meat pole erected just outside said thievery locale for all to see ... note these scum are hanging by their gambrel cord, gutted and faces are unidentifiable. Below is a sign stating, "Be a thief, now NO bag limit, OPEN year round"

Anyhow ... one has got to love this community when it comes to helping ... kudos to ape for posting up the offer. If I'm ever up your way, dinner for you and the missus is on me. :wink:

yote
08-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Definately a good group here, thanks for the hospitality. We are off to Cranbrook for archery elk and some deer so we won't be going up to PG this year, I appreciate the offer. I have a trailer lock, and always use it in the bush. A freind of mine was hunting up island and someone stole his hitch and he couldn't get the trailer out of the bush. It was a major hassle. I think security for motels is a good idea during hunting season, sad that it has to go that way but that's the way it is. We will pull over somewhere off the main road and set up a tent next to the machines, hopefully it's not raining too hard, fun at 2:00 am...but hey I'm not complaining:)

000buck
08-23-2006, 12:57 PM
try removing the wheels while in transit they are quite difficult to carry away it also doesn't hurt to chain it down but the jerk offs will probably have bolt cutters at hand.

mtnmax
08-24-2006, 10:18 AM
I have a solid norco titanium lock that fits through the wheel of my bike. Some quads have solid rims and it won't work for them. It was $20 and saved my street bike from being stolen 3 times when i was goint to bcit in burnaby. Cost me some money replacing my ignition a few times but at least i still had my bike.

NEEHAMA
08-24-2006, 11:14 AM
That's why i own a couple of sweet three wheelers! no one wants to steal them. and if they did i would only be out $500. not $12,000.!!

4pointhunter
08-25-2006, 01:34 AM
we just just take turns sleeping in the truck and drive non stop

yote
08-25-2006, 09:11 AM
"we just just take turns sleeping in the truck and drive non stop"

That's an option too but I always feel so bagged when I get there.

greenbike1
08-25-2006, 02:18 PM
get a boron chain and a big lock stay away from the cable crap you can cut through with a pair of side cutters. I know from past experience. You can also get locks that fit through the brake rotor preventing the rear wheels from turning.

one-shot-wonder
08-27-2006, 10:15 PM
If staying over night on the road in a rural situation, I recommen sleeping in close vicinity to the quads. If in an urban situation I say try using baby monitors so you can hear any disturbance before the quad goes missing. I recommend if you have a quad box to put in the there, or easily hide it in the under cairage, just remember to remove it in the morning.......just a thought, I haven't tried it but was considering the baby monitors in my garage when my truck on the street was getting broken into.

i6s1
08-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Remove the quad wheels and bring them into the motel. Not many thieves carry 4/8 quad wheels around with them. When they see the missing wheels, they won't even bother, they'll move on to an easier target.

To keep the whole truck from getting stolen, remove the distributer cap and bring it inside.

And park in a smart place - well lit, lots of traffic, high visibilty. Keep the quads out of sight with a tarp. If you're at a motel, try to park so the front desk has a view of the truck.

lip_ripper00
08-27-2006, 10:47 PM
I picked up a handy unit from Princes auto 10 ft cable attached to a 9v alarm very hokey, but not easley seen if the cable is cut, the alarm goes off. if the cable is pulled the alarm goes off. But if someone whacks it with a hammer its toast, I don't sleep that sound:twisted: less than 5.00 and very loud

yote
08-28-2006, 09:13 AM
We've decided for this trip, we will pull off the highway and pitch a tent right next to the truck. I have done it so many times I can do it blindfolded in about five mins.

In future hunts and perhaps on the way home, I will remove the two rear wheels and bring them in. It makes sense to me and of course the parking in lit areas etc. are a must.

Good luck to you guys, three and a half days and I am outta here!!!

alremkin
08-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Listening to this is why I don't even consider getting a quad. In addition I live in New West in a condo with underground parking frequented by crack heads breaking into my truck to see if there are nickles in the ash tray. My wind window was broken 3 times in one year and now has a piece of hard clear plastic ducted tapped over the opening. Since the Gov downloaded the cost of vehicle crime onto the average person by raising the deductable to $300/incident from $100 I'm unwilling to subsidize window repair shops. Yes there needs to be an open season on these low life thieves.:evil:

WOLVERINE-RIDER
08-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Go on ebay and punch in atv alarms. $50.00 in Vancouver gets you an alarm w/ remotes and remote start. Pretty cool, a couple of guys that I ride with have them. It's nice when it freezing out and you don't have to out a start your bike.

Radar
08-30-2006, 06:15 AM
I'll check out th ATV alarms, thanks

yote
08-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Does anyone out there use one of these alarms??

Radar
08-30-2006, 10:31 AM
I was checking them out on Ebay, still looking as I did find som comparabl online othr places. I too would like to hear from someone that uses one.

WOLVERINE-RIDER
08-30-2006, 08:16 PM
i myself don't have one but i have seen them and heard them and they are pretty slick. Another type of alarm that a guy had at one of our rides was a motion sensor. If the bike moved more than so many degrees of camber it shut down and an ear piercing alarm went off. There is also another that i have only read about, but it is basically like a gps unit. Your bike can be... and is, linked to your computer so that you and rcmp can track your machine anywhere in the world. This unit also has an optional shut down feature that shuts power to the machine down if it goes out of a radius of so many miles set by you(quite pricey though). There are quite a few options out there it is just finding them. your local atv dealer should know of these units and where to get them.

yote
08-31-2006, 08:12 AM
For what I am into them dollar wise, I am seriously going to look into an alrm of some type. They sound slick, all I need is a remote camera and I will have my own "bait quad":lol: :lol: .

cwocarsten
09-03-2006, 01:02 AM
My buddie locks his bike with a good chain and lock,and takes 1 wheel off and the seat off up to his hotel room. thieves don't like it when the bike is not whole.
Carsten